#1 Chomp

Chomp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Member: 888251

Posted 09 February 2017 - 14:21

Did you know that this year is the 50th Anniversary of Kodály's death and also of the introduction of the Kodály Approach to the UK.

The British Kodály Academy are hosting a fantastic Celebration Concert at St John's Smith Square on Monday 6th March.

The programme features young voices from around the UK singing “A Tree of Song” by Bob Chilcott, specially commissioned for the event. Guest appearances from The Joyful Company of Singers and the Banchieri Singers from Hungary. Conductors include BKA Patrons Dr Douglas Coombes MBE and Dr László Norbert Nemes.

It would be lovely to see you all there. Details are on http://kodaly.org.uk/ and tickets are available to buy from http://www.sjss.org.uk/

Thanks 
Chomp (Remember me? :D Sorry I haven't been around for ages!!)

K50.png

#2 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14408 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 09 February 2017 - 22:50

Thank you, Chomp!

This event has been in the planning for a while and it does promise to be a lovely evening.

The Banchieris are a group of six who sing 'Kings' Singers-style' repertoire but in their own very individual way.   If you want to be amazed by a vocal version of Flight of the Bumble Bee :o, do come!

Bob Chilcott has just accepted an invitation to be a Patron of the British Kodaly Academy (he was wowed by the sight-singing ability of the delegates at a recent workshop :)), which we're all delighted about.

It would be lovely to see some of you there!

:wub:

#3 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14408 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 23:21

Just a reminder about this Kodaly Anniversary Concert at St John's Smith Square on Monday 6th March.    It really promises to be good but has been soooo much work to organise!

The Banchieri Singers are also performing in a small concert at St Michael and All Angels' church in Poplar Walk, Croydon, at 7pm on Saturday 4th - along with three girls' choirs from the Old Palace School of John Whitgift.

Oh - and they'll also be with the Joyful Company of Singers in THEIR Kodaly concert at St Paul's Covent Garden on Friday 3rd.

Taking them to do a primary school workshop tomorrow morning (on the way I have to tell them that the children will all be dressed up for World Book Day... :blink:).

:)

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19747 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 04 March 2017 - 22:01

Can confirm that tonight's concert at St Mike's was fabulous. The Banchieri really are something else.

Cyrilla - lovely to bump into you and co! Can you tell me where we can get more of the Banchieris' CDs?

#5 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3114 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 04 March 2017 - 22:32

It was an outstanding evening for sure. Good to see you, maggiemay :)

B x

#6 muffinmonster

muffinmonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Member: 41676
  • East London

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:22

Looking forward to tonight's concert!  :)

#7 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14408 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 15:02

Maggiemay - I can try to find out from Soma. I have all their CDs including the very early ones when they were six men...then they were four men and two girls...now three of each!

There's hardly anything of them on YouTube and what there is isn't great -I've told them off about this! They haven't done very much over the past four or five years but I'm hoping this visit will really kick-start things again for them. They are a class act and need to be more widely-known.

These are the best two - the wonderful performance of Orlando Gibbons' Drop,Drop Slow Tears (that was dedicated to me by Soma on Saturday :blush:) and the amazing Esti Dal (from when it was an all-male group). They're both audio only - but with Soma's agreement I'll put some of mine from Sunday up on YouTube soon.

:wub: