Photo

New peripatetic teacher looking for advice.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Member: 892867

Posted 16 November 2018 - 21:41

Being really pedantic here, is offense correct . I would have put offence.

My iPhone auto corrects to ‘offense’ ( American English, perhaps?) and quite frankly, I have better things to be doing with my time than constantly correcting it; please be pedantic in your own time and consider whether your ramblings are useful.

#17 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 21:46

I'd echo joining AOTOS. They have a course called Pathways specifically to support new singing teachers.

Also for pitching issues, you can't beat a bit of Kodály training.

Also check out Jenovera Williams. Her book and DVD Teaching singing to children and young adults is fab. I went to one of her workshops very early in my singing teaching career and got so much out of it. I wish I'd known about the other two earlier as well.

Brilliant! Thank you Splog! I have her book on order. Many thanks again for your contribution. A few seem more interested in hauling me over the coals due to an innocent iPhone American English autocorrect; such a shame as I’ve always received wonderful support on this forum.

#18 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 21:49

Don't rely on children to remember to bring anything - how do you forget your flute when you leave the house specifically to go to your flute lesson?!

I can be relied upon to manage this!!wacko.png
I have managed it a couple of times as the flute teacher. blink.png

I’ll try not to forget...ummmm...my larynx...haha!

#19 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3340 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 16 November 2018 - 21:53

Sorry no offence meant. Hope your teaching goes well. The only advice I'd say is that you do have to work hard to make a success of teaching at school. I spend a lot of time finding pupils who forget to come. Some Peris don't do this but I have found it pays off. The other thing I have found is if possible don't have students taking exams in the Summer term at schools as there's so much going on particularly at independent schools that lessons can be missed and practice time can be very limited.

#20 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 22:11

Sorry no offence meant. Hope your teaching goes well. The only advice I'd say is that you do have to work hard to make a success of teaching at school. I spend a lot of time finding pupils who forget to come. Some Peris don't do this but I have found it pays off. The other thing I have found is if possible don't have students taking exams in the Summer term at schools as there's so much going on particularly at independent schools that lessons can be missed and practice time can be very limited.

Now that, is very useful!

I think the reason your reply hit a nerve mainly relates to my suffering from quite a serious connective tissue disorder. This disorder (EDS) impacts my eye sight, along with most of my ligaments due to fragile collagen; now, I use a type/talk app quite frequently which appears heavily reliant (bizarrely) on American English (possibly due to my devices being Apple. I am reliant on such technological advances; they mean I can spend my time playing instruments rather than typing/writing. Anyhow, as previously mentioned the ‘advise’ was the result of an extremely over worked (but happy, I might add) brain and was nothing more than a typo...a mistake.

Please don’t be so quick to judge another human being or their educational status as you never know what might be going on behind the scenes.

I do thank you for your apology and comment but felt I ought to give you a little insight. I do hope we can continue to support each other in the future.

Best wishes!

#21 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 22:28

Do you have any specific pearls of wisdom you wish you’d known as a new teacher?

Please don't take this the wrong way but, as someone who has supervised literally thousands of reports from peris in an independent school, do please remember that advice and practice are nouns (like "ice") while their verb-equivalents are advise and practise. I couldn't tell you how many reports I have asked peri teachers to rewrite because they include things like "I advice Rebecca to practice more frequently in the practise rooms at lunchtime". rolleyes.gif

Good luck with the new job!

Please read the post above relating to Latin Pianist’s comments. I have eye sight problems due EDS and am paddling like a mad woman, under the water to stay afloat; sometimes mistakes happen, despite a 1st class degree in linguistics! I challenge you to live with a serious disorder, parent five children (two of whom are Austistic), study a vocational second degree and hold down a new job and not occasionally make the odd mistake. My type/talk app is heavily reliant on American English and I have neither the time/energy/finance to resolve this issue. I thank you for pointing out my somewhat irrelevant imperfections and just for you, have corrected my thread title.

I Can totally empathize with your comment and similarly, understand how frustrating it must be for you having to correct so many basic errors in reports; rest assured, I will make certain my technology heeds your ‘advice’.

Please let’s continue to be supportive on this forum!

#22 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 22:32

Another vote for joining AOTOS. It’s the best thing I ever did when I started as a singing teacher.
Ive done the pathways and advanced professional development courses and they are brilliant.

I will definitely join! It’s been my intention for a few months; the courses sound very comprehensive. Many thanks for your comment.

#23 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:20

Do you have any specific pearls of wisdom you wish you’d known as a new teacher?

Please don't take this the wrong way but, as someone who has supervised literally thousands of reports from peris in an independent school, do please remember that advice and practice are nouns (like "ice") while their verb-equivalents are advise and practise. I couldn't tell you how many reports I have asked peri teachers to rewrite because they include things like "I advice Rebecca to practice more frequently in the practise rooms at lunchtime". rolleyes.gif

Good luck with the new job!

I Can totally empathize with your comment and similarly, understand how frustrating it must be for you having to correct so many basic errors in reports

It is not me that has to correct them. If a report contains an error it has to go back to the teacher and be rewritten in its entirety as corrections are not accepted in reports in this independent school. That is a school rule and that's why I offered the advice to learn the spelling of words such as practice v. practise, as it saves much time for everybody to get it right in the first place. You are, of course, free to accept the advice, ignore it or be rude about it.

#24 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:55

[quote name="Hildegard" post="1358779" timestamp="1542453655"]

[quote name="Mumofmany" post="1358762" timestamp="1542407305"]

[quote name="Hildegard" post="1358750" timestamp="1542384149"]
[quote name="Mumofmany" post="1358700" timestamp="1542286215"]
Do you have any specific pearls of wisdom you wish you’d known as a new teacher?[/quote]

Good luck with the new job![/quote]
I Can totally empathize with your comment and similarly, understand how frustrating it must be for you having to correct so many basic errors in reports

[/quote]
It is not me that has to correct them. If a report contains an error it has to go back to the teacher and be rewritten in its entirety as corrections are not accepted in reports in this independent school. That is a school rule and that's why I offered the advice to learn the spelling of words such as practice v. practise, as it saves much time for everybody to get it right in the first place. You are, of course, free to accept the advice, ignore it or be rude about it.[/quote

Excuse me? Rude how, exactly? I know perfectly well the difference between practice and practise and was merely trying to explain that my ‘advise’ was a typo due to a lapse in concentration and similarly my ‘offense’ was due to American English software. I really do feel quite sorry, that you have nothing better to do with your time than correct members of this forum asking for advice who occasionally make spelling/grammatical errors due to whatever reason. I am under no illusions; you will stay up there With your superior view point and not listen to a word I type. I admitted I’d made a mistake; you however seem determined to belittle. My mistake was nothing more than a typo so no need to learn/relearn anything. This is not the first occasion I have read a curt post from you! I really hope there is an underlying medical reason to explain away your pedantic behavior. My Austistic son has better social skills! Any neuro-typical person would accept my typo and move on, not continue to push spelling advice on someone who studied English to a very high level but makes mistakes, like most of us mortal beings; you are obviously the exception and I feel for those poor teachers. I frequently read errors on various forums but understand mistakes happen and see fit not to hijack the OPs post in order to get my petty point across. I really hope I’ve got this all wrong and you are genuinely a very supportive person who perhaps doesn’t intend to come across quite so harsh in text? Please forgive me if this is the case.

#25 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:06

Join AoToS (Association of Teachers of Singing) and get loads of useful info and advice from their web pages, the mentoring groups, the local hubs, plus a great magazine etc etc. For me, piano teaching has now pretty much taken over from singing,  but I still maintain membership of this group. Warmly recommended.

Many thanks Helen! This is on my ‘to-do’ list for today.

#26 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 17 November 2018 - 13:59

Please don't take this the wrong way but, as someone who has supervised literally thousands of reports from peris in an independent school, do please remember that advice and practice are nouns (like "ice") while their verb-equivalents are advise and practise. I couldn't tell you how many reports I have asked peri teachers to rewrite because they include things like "I advice Rebecca to practice more frequently in the practise rooms at lunchtime".  rolleyes.gif

I'm so glad you said this. smile.png  

#27 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 14:53

Thanks to those who have offered helpful advice. I have asked for this thread to be removed; despite my best efforts, people are still commenting on the typo. I started this thread in the hope of gaining support but I guess my illness is making me sensitive and unable to deal with negativity. I seriously hope the select few never find themselves making a mistake!

#28 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 17 November 2018 - 20:19

I would like to apologize for jumping in too hastily and I wish you all the very best. 

#29 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:19

I really do feel quite sorry, that you have nothing better to do with your time than correct members of this forum asking for advice who occasionally make spelling/grammatical errors due to whatever reason..

I am not correcting your spelling. You asked for advice and the advice that I gave is that you will probably have to completely rewrite reports that containing spelling mistakes. All staff in independent schools in which I have taught have to do so. It is very time-consuming for hard-pressed peripatetic teachers to have to do this.

As someone who says, very understandably, that they "have eye sight problems due EDS and am paddling like a mad woman, under the water to stay afloat" I genuinely thought that this small tip to help you avoid having to spend unnecessary time in your new job might be helpful.

My advice, such as it is, comes from long experience in running a large department of some 37 instrumental and vocal teachers, but if you don't need it, fair enough. It is perfectly possible to ignore it rather than make make sarcastic and inaccurate remarks about what I do with my time.

#30 Mumofmany

Mumofmany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:31

I really do feel quite sorry, that you have nothing better to do with your time than correct members of this forum asking for advice who occasionally make spelling/grammatical errors due to whatever reason..

I am not correcting your spelling. You asked for advice and the advice that I gave is that you will probably have to completely rewrite reports that containing spelling mistakes. All staff in independent schools in which I have taught have to do so. It is very time-consuming for hard-pressed peripatetic teachers to have to do this.
As someone who says, very understandably, that they "have eye sight problems due EDS and am paddling like a mad woman, under the water to stay afloat" I genuinely thought that this small tip to help you avoid having to spend unnecessary time in your new job might be helpful.
My advice, such as it is, comes from long experience in running a large department of some 37 instrumental and vocal teachers, but if you don't need it, fair enough. It is perfectly possible to ignore it rather than make make sarcastic and inaccurate remarks about what I do with my time.

Thing is, I told you about my issues AFTER you gave me the advice. The truth is, my typo in the thread title drew you in and prompted said advice as it is obviously a personal annoyance of yours; whilst I understand this, I don’t think it’s fair to presume a stranger on the internet cant spell from one typo/one Americanized spelling. Sadly, off the back of this, others jumped in critiquing said Americanized spelling and whether I should have used it; now that is completely irrelevant to my original thread. I have to be honest; it came across more than a little condescending. I’m sorry if you feel my remarks to be sarcastic, that was not my intention.