• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: jasonbird_*

Guest: jasonbird_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:17

Hi, I just got my Grade 2 in Clarinet.
I want to ask if Circular Breathing a must for all of you who playing clarinet to learn? anything your teacher mentioned about it? rolleyes.gif

Besides, how many years it takes to attain Grade 8 exam? how much time per day you practice? cool.gif

Thanks!!

#2 Guest: jo.clarinet_*

Guest: jo.clarinet_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:38

I don't think circular breathing is a necessity at all - however, you do of course need to have good breath control!
As to how long it takes to get to Grade 8 standard, that depends on a lot of factors. I've been learning the clarinet for about 2-and-a-half years and am now working for my Grade 8 (I did Grade 7 in October and got a Distinction - much to my surprise!), but I'm a music teacher, of piano and recorders, so the 'musical' side of playing the clarinet has come easily and my problems are to do with technique rather than interpretation.
For someone beginning their musical education from scratch, I'd say a grade each year is about average, although it does depend a lot on a pupil's innate ability. smile.gif

#3 Guest: chelsea_*

Guest: chelsea_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2004 - 14:42

I have played clarinet for 22 years and have never needed circular breathing so I wouldn't worry about it. As for practise, well you need to strengthen your mouth so you can play longer without getting tired, so try to build up practise levels gradually. If you take each grade exeam it would take around 6 years to reach grade 8 , but with lots of practise you should improve quicker and maybe able to miss a couple.

#4 Guest: jasonbird_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:37

Thanks to both of you.
Actually, I also have background in music. I learn piano before but didn't play it for many years before starting the clarinet.
I think i feel ok on reading the pieces/notes but a bit poor on rhythm.
The main problem is on the breathing system, intonation and sound quality right now. Do they really improve if I change my mouthpiece or clarinet?
I am using a yamaha 4C mouthpiece and only using a plastic clarinet only.
I made a flat sound mostly right now.

Also, it's a bit surprise that someone could attain Grade 7 in 2.5 years...
I played for nearly 1.5 years and just got Grade 2 finished...oh...
I am a adult student actually and am not working on music related job at all.
But i really wish I could work on music after I attained Grade 8 in the end.
blink.gif

#5 Guest: DavidMusic_*

Guest: DavidMusic_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:18

It makes a very large difference, tonewise, changing to a wooden clarinet - I highly adviseit.

#6 Guest: chelsea_*

• Guests

Posted 13 February 2004 - 19:27

A wooden clarinet makes a massive difference but its also a lot heavier, try changing your mouthpiece, if you have used it from the beginning its likely to have teeth marks etc which won't help.

#7 Guest: jasonbird_*

• Guests

Posted 16 February 2004 - 16:44

thanks.
I use a pad on the mouthpiece.
I am using 4C from Yamaha...
but thinking whether to change to 5C? or turn to a rubber one...

For the clarinet, i tried B12(plastic) from a friend, seems the key works is better and tone is more even throughout the range.
but i think if I spend some money, should I try a wooden one like E11 from Buffet? or anything else...mouthpiece/ligature/body...

besides, my teacher ask me not to take exam this year, but u all could attain in a such short period of time. I just really envy and want to be faster but i still work on the long tone right now. So, should I try exam this year? i finished grade 2 on Dec.03

Thanks a lot!!~~ laugh.gif

#8 Guest: jo.clarinet_*

Guest: jo.clarinet_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2004 - 17:43

I think you should follow your teacher's advice - if he/she doesn't want you to take an exam this year there is probably a very good reason for it, and it sounds from what you have said that he/she wants you to work on getting a really good tone so that when you do go in for your next exam you'll do really well!
As regards clarinets, have you asked your teacher? He may have some very definite ideas on which clarinet would be best for you as an upgrade. I used a Yamaha plastic clarinet up to Grade 5 and did fine with that, but since then I've upgraded to a Peter Eaton Elite, which has a lovely tone (every day I just can't wait to practice on it!) but they are expensive instruments.
I've also picked up some very good second-hand instruments from ebay (Selmer 10G, Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 926 and Buffet E13 A - and I'm currently waiting for a Selmer Centred Tone to arrive from America!) but you do have to be extremely careful on ebay because there's a lot of rubbish on those listings - you need advice from someone who knows what questions to ask the seller etc, so that you don't end up with something useless or which needs a major overhaul to get it to playing condition!
Ask your teacher about all this - I'm always pleased when my own piano and recorder pupils show an interest in getting a better instrument and in making good progress, so I'm sure your teacher will be pleased too! Good luck! smile.gif

#9 Guest: jasonbird_*

• Guests

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:14

so, which clarinet is suggested ah?
I tried Buffet B12 and E11 but the sound is not that different from my old yamaha C10 as expected except the clarinet is lighter and easier to handle.
I also tried the "Esprit" model from Leblanc...
Should I wait until I should buy a R13?

How could the sound be more warm, dark? I was thinking it's about the clarinet but seems it isn't...how about the mouthpiece and ligature? should I use a leather ligature?

Anyone could tell the difference betweend different brand's clarinet?
Thanks!!! cool.gif

#10 Guest: DavidMusic_*

• Guests

Posted 23 February 2004 - 18:59

You didn't find a difference in tone?

What strength reed are you using - the harder the reed, the nicer it will sound, as long as you don't go over your limit.

#11 Guest: jasonbird_*

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:38

huh.gif
I am using a Vandoren Trad. 2 1/2 reed and a metal ligature and a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece.

I can't find the texture that I like very much on clarinet on the E11 model. I heard a sales in the music store playing a leblanc prof. model(it's much more expensive than E11.) and he uses V12 4 reed and a leather ligature.
His sound is more dark and round and with texture.

I don't know how could I get it?

#12 Guest: DavidMusic_*

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2004 - 18:10

yes of course there's going to be a massive difference in sound quality between a 2 1/2 reed and a 4. I started using a 3 1/2 about 6 months ago, after using a 3 until then, and now I use a 4 - changes in that short a time make you realise the difference.

#13 Guest: jasonbird_*

• Guests

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:42

But it's hard to blow using a 3 reed or above. is it a must to use a 4 reed in order to produce darker and warm sound? My teacher just uses a 3 reed but his sound is also not that dark but bright instead.

besides reed, how about my mouthpiece? I am using yamaha 4C? should i turn to a vandoren B45 or 5RV or M30?

For ligature...is the vandoren optimum good? anyone uses a leather ligature?

Thanks for advice.

smile.gif

#14 Guest: DavidMusic_*

• Guests

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:28

QUOTE (jasonbird @ Feb 25 2004, 02:42 AM)
But it's hard to blow using a 3 reed or above. is it a must to use a 4 reed in order to produce darker and warm sound? My teacher just uses a 3 reed but his sound is also not that dark but bright instead.

I'd say a 4C is fine.

Of course it's harder to play with a strength 3 and above reed (for you) - you need to use a reed confortable for you, but try and build up your strength - a lot of good players who use strength 4 or so will actually find it very hard to play with a strength 2 1/2 or below, because the way you blow is so different!

#15 Guest: chelsea_*

• Guests

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:44

How about you try a rico royal reed instead of a vandoren these tend to blow in a little easier, vandoren take forever to achieve the same sound.