Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 28 June 2019 - 15:21

Since they revamped their site, when I try to do the survey on my tablet as I did before, it now says device incompatible. Can't be bothered to switch my computer on for largely irrelevant surveys.

#19922 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1618 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 28 June 2019 - 18:57

Perhaps you need to update your tablet.

I don't have one myself, but having recently updated windows 7 on my Samsung laptop, it works a lot better biggrin.png

https://www.wikihow....rsion-on-Tablet

#19923 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 06 July 2019 - 16:45

Multiple arghs.... I have been on a week's holiday this last week, with Sun - Tues for a photography course in the Brecon Beacons. On Tuesday afternoon I managed to do a dead cat bounce as I proved that having TV fall off a rock cliff, even if only a few feet, is a sub-optimal experience... Some whiplash and rather severe bruising to back around lower rib cage.

This has meant cancelling my G5 on tenor sax for next Tuesday. I went to hospital A&E when I got home (another argh - 7 hours, 6 waiting to be seen...). After 4 x-rays they decided nothing was broken, just severe bruising. I am an adult in full-time employment and able to self-certify if needed for a week. ABRSM are insisting on 'written evidence'. Well, I've written a letter and sent it to my teacher. If that's not good enough, I will lodge a formal complaint with ABRSM over their gross stupidity and failure to understand that adults live in a different world to school children and need to managed appropriately and not treated as 10 year-olds.  

#19924 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17568 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 06 July 2019 - 17:04

Thats utterly ridiculous behaviour by ABRSM.  mad.gif

#19925 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4536 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 06 July 2019 - 17:49

They will need some sort of evidence. What about e-mailing in some photographic evidence (photo of bruising)? Get well soon TV! thereThere.gif

#19926 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 July 2019 - 18:17

Sorry about your misadventure TV and I hope you soon feel better and that you manage to sort the ABRSM.

#19927 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6550 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:04

Do you have any kind of form, or literature from the hospital? (Unlikely I know - hospitals seem to minimise literature for patients except when it suits them.)

#19928 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 07 July 2019 - 16:52

Your GP may have been sent some sort of summary from A&E that would at least confirm your attendance there.  (On further thought, it may be more "your GP will eventually be sent ...)

Hope you feel better soon.

#19929 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 July 2019 - 17:40

I'll be blunt - as an adult in full-time employment it's none of their business. If I can self-certify for work, I certainly can for AB - it's not as if they'll give me a refund - they'll at best transfer me to autumn. It's about time AB understood the difference between children and adults and had appropriate policies - the needs of the two groups are very different as should be how you manage them.

#19930 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4808 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 07 July 2019 - 17:53

I suppose it depends what you are asking of them. If you are not requesting a refund then it is indeed none of their business why you are withdrawing from the exam. Do they need proof of indisposition in order to re-enter you for the next session? Are you requesting that you be considered as a candidate at another centre, or perhaps your pieces are part of a syllabus that is changing?
I hope you recover soon. I'm still feeling the effects of twice falling off bike 3 months ago.

#19931 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 13:54

UPS have taken my electric violin to a dry cleaners for me to pick up.

I do not like UPS.

#19932 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3765 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 14:13

I do not like UPS.

Is it a designated UPS collection point or do they consider the dry cleaners as your neighbor?

There is one delivery company that considers an off license several doors down from me as a neighbor and has left parcels there for me to collect. I do not consider it to be a neighbor!

In other news my aaaagh is that I have an ear infection in my right ear. It should clear up soon on its own but it is irritating. 

#19933 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 15:07

I do not like UPS.

Is it a designated UPS collection point or do they consider the dry cleaners as your neighbor?

It's a designated UPS collection point.

#19934 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3765 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 15:13

I do not like UPS.

It's a designated UPS collection point.
If they attempted delivery and you were out or otherwise unavailable then you can have no complaints.

I do wonder why such places agree to be drop off/collection places for delivery companies. Do they get a payment for providing this service or do they think people using this service will make use of the services/products/goods that the business sells?

#19935 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 18:30

If they attempted delivery and you were out or otherwise unavailable then you can have no complaints.

Not entirely true - there is plenty on the card to suggest that reattempting delivery a couple of times is their norm: if the PO can't deliver something, their website is very useful for booking deliveries on a day chosen by you, in case you don't know.