Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:18

Team building afternoon (from 10.30, once you've added in the travelling) today.  It'll be a nice barbeque sitting around chatting with people I know in Regent's Park :) ... followed by a 'sports day' sad.png   This is making me incredibly anxious, and I've figured out it's ancient history and school sports day related, but that's not stopping me wanting to just curl up and 'accidentally' miss the train or find incredibly urgent work to do or such like.

I'm hoping when I get there it will turn out the sporting part is optional.  In 2017 the equivalent event included a rounders tournament, which was voluntary, and I was able to drop out on the grounds that my eyesight makes throwing/catching/hitting pretty much impossible.

The 2016 event was a 'treasure hunt' (iPad based, follow these clues, answer these questions), and as part of the 'fun' of it, they tried to leave it as mysterious as possible - booking your calendar out 11.30-17.00 and saying no more than it would involve 'some walking and physical activity', which they had to clarify a bit, presumably because I wasn't the only one demanding to know if I had to spent 5.5 hours sprinting around central London (this was at the time of one of my pituitary blips, though I didn't know it; but I was both incredibly tired and incredibly anxious, so going to a 'mystery walking around outdoors' event was pressing all the wrong buttons).

I know we are office based and sedentary, so any team build / get away from it all activity is likely to involve the outdoors and moving about.  It just apparently has to be competitive which makes me anxious (being a non-sporting type, I'm going to be a hinderance to any team that gets lumbered with me); and it has me on the verge of shouting about 'accessibility', which I won't actually do, because I know I'm basically looking for an excuse to get myself out of it - I really don't want to stop anyone else having fun!

#19937 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4541 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:50

This would stress me out too. I'd put "team building" into room 101. Can you offer to be the referee? Good luck Maizie.

#19938 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2716 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:59

Me too. I hope it's not too horrid. We had to go bowling and I was the worst which did nothing to make me feel better about anything!

#19939 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:13

I remember doing a  team building day I had to participate in when I was right at the end of year 12 which for those you not familiar is the first year of 6th form.

I had to give up an entire Sunday for it and frankly it was a waste of time. A whole day gone and nothing gained. We were even treated to dinner at the local hotel. The food was mediocre. 

I am not against these team building days as such but I have never gotten much out of them but other people may have found them worthwhile.

#19940 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4541 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:18

It's funny how it never occurs to the little treasures who organise this pratting around, to actually ask the participants what activities they would find useful. There is nothing worse than being forced to play infantile games in front of your work colleagues. Cringe, cringe, cringe! ill.gif

#19941 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:33

My heart bleeds for you. Aaarrgghh. I'm a team player. Good coordination. Fit for my age. Good ideas when things go pear-shaped.
But I HATE surprises. And team-building surprises in particular. I don't mind looking daft occasionally (fortunately) but I'll choose when and where if you don't mind.
My thoughts are with you!

#19942 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:17

Having been a civil servant for 26 years, my suspicion is that team bonding exercises are used because they know there's not a hope in ###### of any good management occurring.

Ooh, censorship! H.o.u.n.s.l.o.w. Yes, it works if I spell it out.

#19943 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2716 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 16:30

Had yet another pointless converation with a policeman today, regarding a (very) ongoing complaint. They've taken so long to respond that the officer I'm complaining about has left the force. How very convenient for them. They are soooo incompetent. They don't do anything in one minute if they could put it off and make it take a couple of hours as a result. But of course they're so busy...

#19944 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6550 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 09 July 2019 - 16:44

Sympathies to you Banjogirl. I hate bureaucracy of any kind and regularly feel like waging war against some of our largest institutions.

Team building ill.gif  - sometimes I feel it's sent to try those of us who are not sporting (I include myself in this - I can throw and catch a ball efficiently but am not designed for running or swimming).  I wonder why team building exercises never seem to involve musical activities of any kind - we all have voices and can sing, we have ears to hear etc.  I'd happily participate in musical team building exercises.

#19945 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2716 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 16:56

At my friend's company they did a singing activity. She said that some people were incredibly nervous about doing it but they all really enjoyed it in the end. It made a change for the people whose strengths were not sporting to have a chance to shine and have a good time.

#19946 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 09 July 2019 - 17:15

Well, I survived.  Lots of anxiety while travelling, though I took a book to distract me which helped a lot.  Got there and found some people I knew among the big group.  Then the team assignment came around (pick a ribbon out of a bag - the colour ribbon being the team you are now on).  I asked if I had to, and the person didn't say yes, but she didn't say no without trying to persuade me that some of the things were do-able.  In the end, I declined, and they said I could always pretend to be ill (I wasn't quick enough to come back with no pretending needed!)  One of my colleagues tried to persuade me a few times over lunch, but I stayed firm.

They all had to gather in their teams, so I went and sat over to one side.  Once the games commenced, a colleague I have known nearly 20 years saw me and said 'Do I see you've managed to get out of it?  You'll have to teach me' and I explained my 'do I really have to?' method.  Then I grinned and waved my wrist/bracelet at him and said 'I'm part of team Medic Alert' - I'm going to remember this for next time they want me doing sporty stuff I'm not comfortable with!

The games themselves weren't that bad; a couple I couldn't have done as they involved throwing/catching (well, could have done, but put the team dead last!)  Several involved running, which I wouldn't have particularly enjoyed and would have needed ... ahem, firmer foundation garments than I'd thought to put on.  Still I took lots of videos of people being silly.

For one game, they needed two non-combatants participants so I volunteered (holding up a sheet that those partaking had to go under).  The other volunteer said 'Did I hear your right, did you say you were deliberately unribboned?' and I said that was indeed the case, and that it was various things, including school sports day trauma.  And he said that he quite agreed, and at 14 he'd sworn no more team sports and he wasn't about to break that today.  He was in a team, but I didn't see him participate in any games.  I was happier declining it to one organiser, rather than being assigned to a team and having to persuade up to 8 other people (who potentially I could have known none of) that I was deadweight for personal reaons.

#19947 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 09 July 2019 - 18:07

oh these things drive me up the wall. I remember one from some years ago that included such delights as swinging on a rope from a large palette to a small one, the idea being that you had to get "friendly" on small palette as otherwise you'd fall off. Oh, and there were blindfolds at one point. At the time the department, since deceased, was rife with complaints of sexual harrassment so whoever thought groping on a palette and blindfolds were a good idea must have been off his rocker. And yet this was fully supported by the people in HR who know about these things professionally. I'm lost for words.

#19948 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4541 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 18:18

I'm sure that alot of this is a control measure - to deprive employees of their adult dignity. I don't like badges for public serving employees with first names on either.

#19949 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 09 July 2019 - 23:33

HR? We had an alcoholic who couldn't function, so records were kept of all of his misdemeanours, late arrivals, drunken arrivals etc. HR ditched every record but one on the grounds that they were repetitive. He won his case at an unfair dismissal tribunal.

#19950 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Member: 112435

Posted 10 July 2019 - 13:54

Just wondering what people think are acceptable team building events - given you can't please everyone.  Our most recent one was a pub quiz - pretty inoffensive you might think, although I personally hate quizzes and was relieved to have to work late and miss it.  We did an indoor pitch and putt one that was pretty good, although I'm sure there must have been someone that didn't like it.  Some teams do fancy breaks overseas - skiing or a long weekend in the sun, but then you get - 'why do I have to go away overnight with work colleagues and why is some of it in my own time?' or 'I don't like skiing / sun etc'.  Or something purely social, probably involving a few drinks - 'why does it have to revolve around alcohol?'.  Or do you do nothing - 'our firm does nothing for us - we never have any encouragement to bond as a team'. 

I don't know what it is about team building that provokes such negative reactions (I include myself in this).  I have quite a bit of sympathy for the people organising these things!  A friend of mine did one once that involved everyone playing together in an orchestra trying instruments they'd never played before (crash lesson on said instrument before coming together to play a very simple piece).  Apparently that went down well so maybe as Hedgehog and Banjogirl suggest, music is the way forward. biggrin.png