fawnfawn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Member: 2720
  • Singapore

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:07

Hi! I'm looking at buying a new piano, I have briefly tried playing on both the yamaha GC1 and kawai GL20 but would like to seek the opinions of the pianists here on which would be a more recommended buy.

Both pianos cost around the same price with the kawai being about $500 more expensive. Both are made in Japan.

Here are some of the listed differences- the kawai has underfelted hammers and a tapered soundboard but not yamaha.The yamaha is 161cm while the kawai is 157cm. The kawai brouchure mentions that it has am extended key length.This was not mentioned in yamaha but I'm not sure how they compare as I'm unable to find any information on key length online.

I also take into consideration that Kawai produces the Boston series for Steinway.

Would anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

#2 tulip21

tulip21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Member: 898887

Posted 12 December 2018 - 16:18

I'm not familiar with any of these models, so I can't recommend anything specific. That said, it is very difficult to recommend one over the other if we don't know what you're looking for. You may just want to try a bunch of pianos and see which one you like the sound and playability/response of.

#3 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 12 December 2018 - 16:50

If it helps, I recently played a short concert on a Kawai GL50 which was amazing, really beautiful sound. Out of my price range though!

#4 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:39

The problem is, you buy a piano in a music shop, having tried it out there, in a big room with a lot of noise (customers, traffic etc). Then you get it back home, put it in a smaller, quieter room, totally different acoustics - so really it is all a bit of a guess.

#5 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 13 December 2018 - 15:07

Suggest that you ask piano technicians on either https://www.piano-tu...g/piano-forums/  or 

http://forum.pianoworld.com  if hammer under felting is important and perhaps for their view why Yamaha don't use it on the GC1.

Other than that buy the piano you fall in love with.