#16 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 29 January 2019 - 23:08

I’m glad ma non troppo mentioned the Teachers’ Voices panel - I find it totally pointless and annoying.
Often badly phrased questions - that seem to be put together by a work-experience team.

I have felt for a very long time that the AB appointments system needs a drastic rethink. Plus the fact that the exam comments sheet is becoming more and more irrelevant, with a series of formulaic remarks - I do wonder what the future is, and whether the system will continue to be relevant.

I’m certainly finding that the most enjoyable (and often the most productive) terms are when I have no exam candidates.

I so agree with all of this, especially the last sentence. The Teachers' Voices has felt like a bit of a damp squib overall with some odd questions, and there is a curiously lifeless feel to the whole thing. It would be good if it could be a bit more interactive with some feedback more specifically about whether any of the ideas and opinions have been used. Otherwise it does feel like a bit of a tick-box exercise.

#17 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 30 January 2019 - 16:05

The Teachers' Voices has felt like a bit of a damp squib overall with some odd questions, and there is a curiously lifeless feel to the whole thing. It would be good if it could be a bit more interactive with some feedback more specifically about whether any of the ideas and opinions have been used. Otherwise it does feel like a bit of a tick-box exercise.

From the questions they pose, I get the impression that the main point of the teachers' voices is market research - what they can produce that pupils/teachers will buy and how their current marketing of exams is going - not improving exam content or the exam experience. sad.png  After all, if they really wanted to know how we feel about exams, they would only need a quick look on the teachers' forum! On the other hand, I got some amazon vouchers from the prize draw, so can't really complain!

#18 DMC

DMC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:13

That's the one.

I hope things improve. Anyone heard any more about any changes to modernise the booking system ?

No, but there's yet another ABRSM amazing App for sale on the App Store....

How about an online exam entry app?

Also, how about explaining honestly why you invested time, energy and money into commissioning pieces and developing Jazz Grades 6-8 and then chose not to release it? When you ask someone at the Conference about this, they take on the persona of a politician and worm their way out of answering the question directly.

And on what other instrument has the repertoire not changed since the late 90's? You've guessed it - Jazz Piano!

The ABRSM clearly don't feel a need to be accountable to us, however much they tell us otherwise - actions speak louder than words.

[soapbox moment over;-)]

#19 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 02 February 2019 - 22:33

Soapbox warning ....
Still no Jazz Violin .......

#20 DMC

DMC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:33

Had they developed a syllabus for Jazz Violin? Also, did you know there is an unreleased ABRSM drum syllabus?

It makes sense on so many levels, on artistic grounds, on economic grounds (for the board) and on joyful grounds (wouldn't it be wonderful for the pupils if they could explore the Jazz idiom through the familiar realms of the ABRSM).

There might be very good reasons why the above things aren't happening. I can't think what those might be though. 

#21 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:40

Despite all these issues, the Chief Executive, Michael Elloitt, remians remarkably positive about the role of the ABRSM. Complacent, almost.

I'm trying to post a link to the interview on the pianodao website, but my software doesn't seem to be compatible. Still, it is easily accessible.

#22 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19799 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 13 February 2019 - 17:47

Apparently, UK exam applicants will now be able to request changes of appointment online.

(Excerpt from the latest ABRSM update email - )

Good news!
We have listened to your feedback and requests to change exam dates for UK public centres can now be done online. We will reply to all online requests within 5 working days. We hope that you’ll find this online process quicker and easier, but don't forget we are still available to help by phone.