mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:07

I've had a query about whether I will travel to a potential student's home to teach -not for the first time.
I'd really rather not, but it occurs to me that the student may be medically unfit to drive or otherwise unable to travel to me, which would be unfortunate for her, especially if she is not far away.

My question is, for those of you who teach from your home AND/OR travel to students, how much extra do you charge for home visits? I haven't factored home visits into my fee structure and am not sure what is reasonable.

#2 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 27 January 2019 - 23:28

No matter -  I've declined the gig.

#3 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:25

I only teach from my home.  In the past I have gone to people's houses, if they are local, but it was very stressful getting back in time.  Now I stick with, I only work from home.

#4 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:42

I go to some students' homes because they live in the next town. I have several there and they all live fairly near each other. It is a bit of a pain though because you do lose out on some potential teaching time while driving from place to place. I charge them a bit extra, 50 cents per lesson.

I also go to two families who are neighbours - a total of 5 pupils.

I'd rather teach completely from home but in these cases this is work which I wouldn't have if I didn't go to them. I wouldn't do it for one isolated person because it would end up taking nearly an hour by the time you leave the house, turn up, teach the lesson and come back again - and that would be for someone who is fairly local to me.

If someone was medically unfit to drive as you mentioned in the OP, I would see if I could accommodate them somehow - but again, I wouldn't drive out to them if they were the only one.

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5783 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:51

I will only work away from home in specific circumstances. That applies to just one of my (elderly) students at present, who used to come to me, and on one occasion backing out of our driveway, scraped our car. She asked me to come to her after that - and actually I'm quite happy to agree in order to avoid future inconvenient repairs! She's an absolutely lovely lady and always makes me coffee when I go. I add on £2 per visit, which doesn't cover my time and travel as she's 5-6 miles away, but as it happily doesn't have any effect on my later lessons, I'm fine with that. 

Having had a stint of teaching everyone in their own homes due to our own home being flooded, I would not do it again, so I set specific criteria (eg not having a car, not being able to get a suitably timed bus, not having anyone to bring them etc.)

#6 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 28 January 2019 - 15:54

I will only work away from home in specific circumstances. That applies to just one of my (elderly) students at present, who used to come to me, and on one occasion backing out of our driveway, scraped our car. She asked me to come to her after that - and actually I'm quite happy to agree in order to avoid future inconvenient repairs! She's an absolutely lovely lady and always makes me coffee when I go. I add on £2 per visit, which doesn't cover my time and travel as she's 5-6 miles away, but as it happily doesn't have any effect on my later lessons, I'm fine with that. 

Having had a stint of teaching everyone in their own homes due to our own home being flooded, I would not do it again, so I set specific criteria (eg not having a car, not being able to get a suitably timed bus, not having anyone to bring them etc.)

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I did wonder whether to list specific criteria for a home visit e.g medical exclusion from driving, other medical reasons, no public transport etc, but I couldn't think how to state these without it sounding intrusive.

I recall doing a home visit when I worked in the NHS to find a perfectly able-bodied patient busily unloading the shopping as she showed me in; her urgent priority was simply that it was more convenient for her if the appointment happened in her own home. Blow that for a lark!

I imagined people might charge half as much again for a home visit but it sounds as though you are all a lot nicer than me. wink.png

#7 jmcellist

jmcellist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 487246

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:32

I simply don't do this. It would take up too much travelling time and if I charged realistically it would look really expensive. I also can do without the stress of being in an environment that I can't control : dogs, children, out of tune pianos etc. If students really want to learn they will come, even if it means booking a taxi.

#8 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 28 January 2019 - 16:35

Quite a few years ago I had a teacher who moved from South London to West London which meant the trip to his home was a lot longer. I mentioned this and he volunteered to come to my place for an additional £3 per lesson.

I took him up on the offer and he seemed happy enough with the arrangement. I was surpirsed he only added on £3 as the journey from his home must have been at least 45 minutes. He eventually got a salaried job as head of strings at a boarding school and stopped teaching privately.

If I were ever to take lessons again I would expect to have to travel to the teacher. I can't imagine it would financially make sense for any teacher to travel to their students unless they all lived very close together and were grouped into one morning/afternoon/evening.

#9 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:25

When I first started teaching my mentor advised me never to teach students in their own homes. I have always stuck to this and have no regrets.

#10 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:15

I've always refused to do this. I did it once in England when coaching for an agency where you had to visit. It was a nightmare - and I only had one pupil! We worked on what was left of the kitchen table always  covered with the remains of breakfast and lunch, against the noise of the other children and the television in the next room and the family were sometimes just not there when I arrived.  Here I once refused to visit an English family who obviously thought I could be treated as some sort of servant back in the nineteenth century and who were abominably rude when I told them I did not teach in pupils' homes. I'm sure it works well for some teachers but it's something that is off my list.

#11 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 29 January 2019 - 15:12

I only teach in the student’s homes, I have no other option. I don’t feel disadvantaged traveling to them however.

#12 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:54

In principle I would go to a student's house for a good enough reason; I have done so for one pupil a couple of times as a one-off (when transport easier for me than them), and offered for another (sibling illness).  Also, only when it would not have interfered with the rest of my timetable.  If I had a weekday daytime request with extenuating circumstances then I would consider a regular visit, as it would be time I otherwise would not teach; but would still charge extra.

What I would definitely be prepared to consider, especially were I to move in the future, would be an arrangement to do a whole afternoon's teaching in some else's house.  My own teacher used to do that and I know of teachers doing that near me.

#13 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:59

Agreed; I would do it in the right circumstances but pupils (especially prospective ones) are neither psychic nor aware of my 'red lines', if I dare use the term.
I was interested to canvass views on what is a fair additional charge to one's basic hourly rate, and whether travelling costs are factored in to this.

#14 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4463 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:41

Not to mention the ones who can't seem to turn up in their own home (I've had a few of those!) "Oh sorry, we forgot". Or the ones whose neighbours don't want you parking outside your pupil's house because they think they own the whole road!

#15 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:54

If a pupil couldn't get to my house because of accessibility issues (ie they are disabled and can't reasonably find a way of getting here or up my step), then I would only charge a mileage cost extra, as it is not their fault. It would also have to be at a quiet time when I wouldn't be teaching anybody else. I personally would not travel for any other reason, but I think if you do, then it is only fair to charge extra as it is taking up your time for their convenience.