Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5469 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 February 2018 - 14:13

I haven't seen many / any threads relating to piccolo. Are they so different / difficult / far less repertoire, etc?

anyone.gif

#2 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 02 February 2018 - 15:04

Can't stand the thing!  Only play it when I have to and even then it just makes me feel afterwards like I've been sucking lemons for a fortnight.

Much of the picc. rep. I find much more pleasing on the sopranino recorder.

Sorry.

(Hopefully temporarily)-negative-Bag x

#3 vron

vron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 02 February 2018 - 17:28

early days for me so far as have only had a piccolo for about 6 weeks . have no idea about repertoire as at present I simply play the flute pieces and exercises I have for the flute on the piccolo. However have to disagree with bagpuss I am loving the piccolo.  Understand that many don't as it can be shrill in the higher ranges and to be fair I can only do the first two octaves so far.

#4 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 02 February 2018 - 21:14

I have just got a piccolo too (3 weeks and counting) and so far I’m enjoying it. I mainly got it so I can do the piccolo parts in my wind band, but it’s fun to play, especially as I’m working on exam stuff for my flute. I got a book called Piccolo! Piccolo! which has some exercises and pieces, and I’m working from that at the moment. I’m on the look out for more pieces to play, but I’m struggling with the third octave which is limiting what I can play.

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41685 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:39

I would much rather go towards the lower end of the flute family than the piccolo. I have to use earplugs on the rare occasions I play picc...

#6 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 03 February 2018 - 14:00

I need to get myself some earplugs. I already have a hearing impairment in my left ear, I don’t want to damage the hearing in my “good” right ear too.

#7 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41685 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 03 February 2018 - 14:05

I need to get myself some earplugs. I already have a hearing impairment in my left ear, I don’t want to damage the hearing in my “good” right ear too.

Yep. Cannot recommend it enough. Get earplugs to protect your hearing when playing piccolo and similar.

#8 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Member: 895537

Posted 03 February 2018 - 16:36

I don't like the piccolo sound and have no desire to try one, but I would love an alto flute.

#9 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Member: 159407
  • Washington UK

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:50

I've borrowed a piccolo to use in orchestra (since no one else seems to want to play the part lol). I'm finding it a challenge (particularly getting a clean, strong sound in the middle octave); I've only had it a few weeks though, so it's early days.

One of the advantages is that the piccolo gets a lot of good parts, including lots of solos, so as someone who most often plays 2nd flute it gives me something a bit more challenging to do. The big disadvantage is that everyone in the room can hear every little mistake you make.

#10 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5469 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:52

I would much rather go towards the lower end of the flute family than the piccolo. I have to use earplugs on the rare occasions I play picc...

My flute teacher acquired a bass flute last year. I can't honestly say I like the sound of it much (a bit saxaphoney) but it's a wonderful asset in our flute trio. 

#11 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 15 June 2018 - 15:34

One of my favourite flute groups is Quintessenz from Leipzig. Their top-flautist frequently plays piccolo, and I think also does many of the arrangements. I have to say she uses it very well, as a decoration at critical moments rather than playing continuously - it adds a highlight, a sparkle at the top. (The remaining flutes are two normal flutes, one bit-bigger-flute (flute d'amour? I don't know my flutes), and one flute big enough to play round corners).