corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 09 August 2016 - 22:02

I might feel slightly less bitter about C# major if I hadn't had to memorise an entire fugue in it to get around the horrible notation (I am still bitter about the E# minor section). 

Barry- do you mean C# notated on Bflat clarinet (sounding in the key of B)? If the key of B was desired, wouldn't that make using an A clarinet playing in the key notated as D easier? And if the actual key of C#/Dflat was desired, then an A clarinet playing in the key of E should suffice? Or have I got it backwards... 

#17 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41731 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:55

I might feel slightly less bitter about C# major if I hadn't had to memorise an entire fugue in it to get around the horrible notation (I am still bitter about the E# minor section). 

Barry- do you mean C# notated on Bflat clarinet (sounding in the key of B)? If the key of B was desired, wouldn't that make using an A clarinet playing in the key notated as D easier? And if the actual key of C#/Dflat was desired, then an A clarinet playing in the key of E should suffice? Or have I got it backwards...

I play more in small groups, wind bands and pit bands : all groups which rarely use A clarinets : as such, I'm talking about the notes I'm reading. I have got very good at playing in sharp keys in particular...

#18 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Here

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:01

Oops sorry, we're talking about music on a games thread! :P

#19 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41731 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:11

Mea non culpa : you started it, corenfa :P

#20 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6673 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:36

You're providing strong evidence for those who will doubtless be forthcoming to put transposing instruments in Room 101!!

#21 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Here

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:44

Mea non culpa : you started it, corenfa :P

I definitely did. Shall I nominate myself for Room 101??

#22 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 12 August 2016 - 13:08

I think DC2 is looking at what room 101 used to call 'modern life' as a category, so in that spirit, I would like to nominate people who stare at their smartphones when walking down the street. Thus not looking where they are going, and walking into me as a result. Put them away. Or at least stop by the side of the road. Grr...

Indeed, yes sorry if that wasn't clear, the winner is asked to nominate a new CATEGORY for us to submit our Room 101 grievances. So, self checkouts are your nominated grievance, but DaisyChain2, can you tell us a category - modern life? Shopping? Technology? Thanks.

#23 DaisyChain2

DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 12 August 2016 - 15:54

Ok...Modern Life it is.  Apologies. 

#24 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Scotland

Posted 14 August 2016 - 13:36

I'm very fond of self checkout machines, I'm afraid. Although there are a million awful things about them, they save me from a whole onslaught of unwanted "help". When you try to be disabled in public, it's a very strong statement of not wanting someone to pack your bags all wrong for you.

Right, mine for modern life, I nominate "friends". Not friends, but "friends", as in people who go on one blind date with someone from another city, it's not a match and they're going to be "friends", translation "we're going to add each other on social media then never speak again".

We have the word "acquaintance" in English, but we under-use it compared with other languages. Someone who wouldn't respond to your personal crisis by dropping everything and picking you up from miles away at midnight, not your friend.

#25 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Scotland

Posted 18 August 2016 - 19:06

Looks like DC2 wins again. We need more votes and more nominations if this is going to take off.

DC2, please nominate a new topic, OR name someone else to nominate for you since it's your second win.

#26 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Scotland

Posted 20 August 2016 - 17:38

Ok, I'm going to nominate to see if we can get it back on

Category: travel

I nominate unsynchronised journey planning. I need to book a hotel now but I can't book the train ticket that goes with it until January. I almost always need several out of a hotel, a train, a fight, a car hire, a journey assistance, an equipment rental and an event ticket, and everything has different rules about when you can pay for and secure it. And if I can't get the other things, I don't want that one. I don't want a hotel room and a train ticket for an event I can't get tickets for, nor an event ticket and a hotel that I can't get to.

#27 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:09

OK, under Travel I suggest dirty toilets, especially ones where the soap has run out. Put those in room 101 please!

(Don't know how to add a voting icon from my ipad, sorry.)

#28 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 04 September 2016 - 16:45

In modern life, may I nominate passwords? I hate the ******** things, and I particularly hate websites where you have to register and put in a password when you merely want to buy one or two items perhaps once a year. So that by the time you next want to buy something, you have forgotten which one of your repertoire you used, and then have to click 'forgotten your password?' And wait for them to email you with some tortured jumble of numbers and letters. And to change that tortured jumble to something you think you will remember (but won't) you have to click something else, and put in your own choice of password, which is then rejected since it's the one you used last time, but had forgotten...

I have for some time made sure I have passwords for anything bank- or money-related written down, in my own version of code, but I really can't be bothered to do this for every website I very occasionally buy from.

#29 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 04 September 2016 - 22:34

In modern life, may I nominate passwords? I hate the ******** things, and I particularly hate websites where you have to register and put in a password when you merely want to buy one or two items perhaps once a year. So that by the time you next want to buy something, you have forgotten which one of your repertoire you used, and then have to click 'forgotten your password?' And wait for them to email you with some tortured jumble of numbers and letters. And to change that tortured jumble to something you think you will remember (but won't) you have to click something else, and put in your own choice of password, which is then rejected since it's the one you used last time, but had forgotten...
I have for some time made sure I have passwords for anything bank- or money-related written down, in my own version of code, but I really can't be bothered to do this for every website I very occasionally buy from.

Oh, YES I'll second passwords for room 101.I will confess to using one fairly simple one for things that don't much matter, but Google and YouTube and things like that drive me mad as I have a Gmail address that is not my main one but I can't always remember which programs demand I use it.

I started a nice series of passwords with one word, a number, a symbol and another word. The last word was taken from the first stanza of a poem I know well, so whenever I'm forced to change it (you can't use the one you used before you forgot it) I just swap it for the word in the same place in the next stanza. I get there eventually - we're only as far as the fourth stanza so far!

#30 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 05 September 2016 - 20:46

On passwords, my own most-hated overlaps too strongly with existing posts to stand on its own: I loathe, with a vengeance, requirements that passwords contain all sorts of obscure and unmemorable rubbish. In support, I call to the witness stand XKCD, always the voice of reason: https://xkcd.com/936/

But as a genuine modern-life nomination, I'm going to nominate solar-powered parking ticket machines. These embody everything that is wrong with modern society. You must have seen the things: down every mile or so of inner city street with parking restrictions, you'll find two or three of them. They're biggish ticket machines with a prominent solar panel on top, some sort of LCD display, and a selection of unclear buttons to press. If you insert the right coins they will (probably) give you a ticket you can put in your car window to show you've paid to park. Here's a link to a typical offender: http://www.treehugge...ing-meters.html

Let's just compare them with their predecessors, the traditional little parking meters that sat on top of a pole and gave you an hour when you stuck a coin in.

The modern thing claims to be environmentally friendly because it's got a nice big solar panel and doesn't use any electricity. The old thing was environmentally friendly because it didn't use any electricity either, merely using the act of sticking a coin in as its source of power. Solar panels don't grow on trees. They are energetically expensive to make. The older ones were also a lot smaller (less resources needed per meter), and fully-recyclable.

The modern thing also issues a genuine ticket, which is another resource wasted. The original one just sat next to the car and twanged a little flag into view when you'd over-stayed.

The modern thing thinks it's an improvement, offering convenience and sophistication. So when you park, you have to scout up and down the street looking for the wretched contraption, which will be painted in camouflage colours and hiding behind a bottle-bank. The original, old-style meter was next to your car.

This is just so typical of modern life: (1) pretending to be environmentally friendly when it's not; (2) using computer-control and electronics when it's completely unnecessary; (3) being considerably harder to use and less convenient than its low-tech predecessor; (3) lacking character. Can you ever imagine wanting to look at a modern ticket machine in a museum? The very fact that the author of the article I've cited proudly discusses the manufacturer's ISO9001 certification sums it up. If this trend continues, then cities in future will be appointing a Director of Parking Facilities who will employ consultants on £250K per year to provide authoritative information on the cost-savings that are possible through up(down?)grading the current generation to something even more preposterous. Perhaps cloud-based HD-display super-fast broadband enabled blu-tooth street floorspace control systems issuing e-tickets direct to your phone, powered by bioethanol-producing algal energy-cells?

Ladies and Gentlemen, stop this trend! Vote now!