Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2019 - 19:39

I had to abort practice this evening as I suddenly developed a sharp shooting pain in the second knuckle (proximal interphalangeal joint) of my RH middle finger, most notably in when playing a third along with the little finger (finger 5).  There has been no warning of this pain building up over time.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of pain when playing?  What's the cause?

I'm very worried for the immediate and longer term.

Thank you in advance.

#2 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:41

How is it this morning? I sometimes get completely random pains that have nothing to do with anything and that disappear as rapidly as they came, so I hope this is the case for you. I have had the occasional finger pain, once after trying to open a jar of marmalade and sometimes after gardening, but I just ignore them and they go away. Of course, if your pain is not like this, if it's still there after a week or gets worse, could be worth seeing your doctor. But I hope it just gets better!

#3 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:27

How is it this morning? I sometimes get completely random pains that have nothing to do with anything and that disappear as rapidly as they came, so I hope this is the case for you. I have had the occasional finger pain, once after trying to open a jar of marmalade and sometimes after gardening, but I just ignore them and they go away. Of course, if your pain is not like this, if it's still there after a week or gets worse, could be worth seeing your doctor. But I hope it just gets better!

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply, EllieD.  I've played tentatively a couple of times and while there is an ache in the joint the intense sharp pain hasn't re-occurred. Probably the worst time for an injury... crying.gif

#4 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 25 May 2019 - 15:01

Like EllieD, I sometimes get finger pain and sometimes wrist pain. I suppose I have trouble every six months or so. It never seems connected with anything I did, or didn't do but can be bad enough to make it difficult to lift a cup of tea. It goes away in time, but is a real nuisance.

My method of speeding things up is to make a soft 'support' out of elastic bandage material. I cut off a short piece of elastic bandage of the right width and make a sort of finger stall (not covering the ball of the finger). If this isn't enough, I make a larger sheath and cover two fingers - the good finger supporting the 'bad' one. For the wrist,  I make a pulse warmer in the same way. I've no idea what it does, but it seems to help, costs hardly anything and can be removed easily. If it is a finger pain, I would take the thing off to play the piano but definitely put it on for the night.

Hope it clears up soon. Good luck.

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 28 May 2019 - 13:32

Depends on your age. I've got arthritis which gives me shooting pains in the little finger of my left hand and in the bones of my left foot.

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:46

I hope things are still improving, LF. I've tended to try to ignore achy types of pain and just carry on doing what I want. Obviously if that makes it worse, then cut back / stop, but if not, I just carry on. Obviously sharp pain does mean stop! But I hope it's all better now. I have discovered that the brain is very good at sending out pain signals when the original source of the pain (even if there was one) has gone. Over protective I suppose. So knowing what's best to do when you feel something hurting  is not always easy.

#7 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:56

Glad to hear things haven't at least got worse, LF. I sometimes get dull pain in my right wrist, but I think that's due to a combination of activities (lots of playing/crafting/fiddling with me phone) rather than just playing. Let us know if there's any change. 

#8 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6114 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 29 May 2019 - 17:51

I've been having problems with both elbows and finally had an assessment today by a physio. I have tendinitis / tennis elbow in both. One one hand I get some pain when there is upward pressure on middle finger - this is related to that and to the weakness in wrist extensor muscles that was also identified. 

I went privately to Nuffield physio - cost about £40 for 45 minute consultation. Follow-up appointments are 30 minutes each and about the same cost.