#16 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:04

We only have his word for it to be fair!

#17 Kevin_Wooding

Kevin_Wooding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 887294

Posted 01 December 2018 - 14:20

Thanks ma non troppo and Dorcas :rofl:

I saw this thread years ago but then had terrific trouble signing up to respond. When I finally did get a login, I couldn’t find the thread and/or it was at a very busy time. Anyway, the planets have now aligned or something and I’m glad to have put my thoughts down.

I did hear it became very popular! I didn’t fully realise how much except for the occasional clue, such as a shared conversation describing an examiner groaning. That was never my intention...

#18 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 01 December 2018 - 17:05

I still do it with pupils! 

#19 Sautillé

Sautillé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 01 December 2018 - 19:10

Oooh! Are you THE Mr. Wooding?

If so, let me tell you that your piece was so popular a choice that I was glad when the syllabus changed. That's a back handed compliment by the way. ;)

...... still we’re enjoying Egyptian Level now!

#20 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 19:21

Yes, I am enjoying Egyptian Level and expect to be similarly jaded with its popularity in due course as well.

#21 musicposy

musicposy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Member: 25798
  • West Sussex

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:56

I'm enjoying Egyptian Level too - my Grade 1s are loving it. So much so I'm also sure I'll be very keen for a change by the next syllabus!

I am a big fan of Spooky Piano Time anyway. It really captures their imagination.

#22 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:13

The Egyptian Level is much easier than Vampire Blues. Not that I am complaining.....

#23 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 08 December 2018 - 13:24

Mind you my ABRSM grade 1 played a tune very similar to LCM grade 1 a couple of years back.  LCM called it Trumpet Tune, and very cheerful it still sounds on the AB syllabus woot.gif

#24 Alder

Alder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Member: 11952

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:43

Well, this is just adorable! smile.png

Before I realised what was going on I was thinking "wow, this is a lovely clear explanation of how this works, now I get it"...

(I love jazz, just have never learned enough about it to be sure about why things work the way they do!)

#25 Kevin_Wooding

Kevin_Wooding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 13:02

‘Jazz’ theory is a great study and doesn’t need to be wedded to Jazz. Debussy and Ravel were intrigued, while Gershwin bridged the gap, and indeed Jazz greats such as Charlie Parker and John Coltrane in return studied the harmonic landscape of Debussy, Ravel, et al.

Then considering that Jazz has revived or borrowed the ethos that underpins modal concepts of scale construction... It can bring fresh insights to already well studied classical compositions which are historically kind of sandwiched in between. For me, it made all music become interconnected.

Thanks for all the positive words about The Egyptian Level and Spooky Piano Time :-) I’m very happy with this book and equally so that ABRSM has picked this piece AND managed to squeeze my poem in as well!

Indeed The Egyptian Level is easier than Vampire Blues, I gather this was a big push from teacher feedback that the early grades needed to be more approachable for early learners. Initial feedback to the syllabus was pretty positive, how is it shaping up?

#26 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 13:24

I didn't realise you wrote the poem too. The kids really like that. That's if you really ARE Kev. ;)

#27 Kevin_Wooding

Kevin_Wooding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 14:12

I wrote all the poems in the SPT book. I added them almost as an afterthought when I submitted the score to the publisher – having the poems there did it for me...

I was surprised when they said they wanted to include them. And people don’t call me Kev by the way ;)

If there were a way to upload pics I could show some of the original drafts, particularly of the artwork. I’ve got some copies of those.

#28 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2034 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 15 December 2018 - 14:30

Why so sceptical, ma non troppo? I believe in you, Kevin rolleyes.gif.

#29 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 15:27

Well you can never tell on the Internet. I think my use of the wink emoticon and the over familiar abbreviation of Mr Wooding's name ( for which I apologise unreservedly) indicate that I am not altogether being serious. ;) ;) ;)

Kevin, you could upload the photos - that would be very interesting. You can put them on an image hosting site and link to here? I would love to see them, and I am sure others would too. :)

#30 Kevin_Wooding

Kevin_Wooding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:54

I knew you knew, no worries ;)

Here you go...

SPT Sketches

I tried imgur for the first time and it posted before I was ready... so just the three images. I’ll see if I can do more later.