Photo

Somewhere out there a peri teacher is very annoyed with me . . .

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:02

OK, just had a parent ringing up, asking for extra piano lessons on top of those being taken at school.  I wouldn't mind a few new students right now, but could anyone else take a student from the initial test to grade 3 in two terms?  I suggested the parent get in touch with the school or music service.  Ouch.

#2 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 30 November 2018 - 19:02

I'm here to assure you that the school music service would relieve you of a student in a nanosecond without a qualm. Or is that only private schools......?

* voice of bitter experience*

#3 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 30 November 2018 - 21:47

Dorcas - I don't quite understand your post? This is a parent of an existing pupil? And have they tried to go from initial to grade 3 with the school teacher? Am I being slow or could you please clarify? :)

#4 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 30 November 2018 - 21:58

OK.  Tonight I am a bear with a very small brain.  I have had an enquiry from a completely new parent, who found me on the web. Said parent wants their child to take grade 3 piano.  From what I understand, said student has taken a pre-grade 1 exam.  Grade 1 is being prepared, so could I help things along by giving additional lessons?   Grade 3 needs to be taken within 2 terms.  This is all from the said parent.  Said parent was charming.  Refer back to my first sentence.  I need new students, but will not promise that a student I have never heard play can take grade 3 within two terms, having apparently only taken prep/initial/ test.

Thank you, yes, I am well aware that private schools and music services will take whoever applies for lessons.  Good for them.  Having worked for something similar in the past, and been expected to teach students without access to a piano, to preparatory level, I feel like banging my head against a wall.  Said parent went away with instructions to get in contact with said music service and give them said requirements.  Headache material all round.  Yep, I am a little short of students at the moment.  Refer back to first sentence.  Sorry.  Not making much sense, but it has been that sort of a day.

#5 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:03

Ah, I had a day like that earlier this week, sympathies! ;)

Why do they need to get to grade 3? Surely you don't "need" grade 3 for anything!

#6 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:06

Oh yes, said student definitely does.  At least according to said parent.  Now I feel very mean and unkind.  Basically, parent wants best for child, and I referred them back to their current teacher or service provider.  Mel2 had a point, I could have taken them on, but what was the point, if I couldn't deliver?

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:17

Two teachers is not a good idea but I suppose it might work if you did theory or scales. I would have wanted to check that the other teacher was happy with this. Probably it wou!d have been behind their back. I think you did the right thing.

#8 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:26

The only times I teach students who have another teacher is when they are advanced and have a consultation lesson or go on a summer school such as the ones at Chethams.

Also, the local sixth form college insists music A level people have lessons with an instrumental teacher in their department. What we do in that circumstance is usually, I ship out the ensemble work (if any) to the college teacher. Otherwise they do extra scales or aural work with them.

Edit :

Yes, you did the right thing Dorcas. I am still at a loss to understand the requirements though - of grade 3. How odd. Perhaps someone else can shed light? Is this a "thing" for something?!

#9 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 30 November 2018 - 22:57

You did the right thing - it would have been a nightmare.
An impossible ask I think.

#10 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:53

I am still at a loss to understand the requirements though - of grade 3. How odd. Perhaps someone else can shed light? Is this a "thing" for something?!

Is it some mistaken idea that it is needed for GCSE Music?

#11 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:02

I wasn't really suggesting you take this student (I'd assumed it was a new enquiry) My remarks were simply designed to make you feel easier about passing them on. The music service (independent school or LA) might as well cope with the Awkward Squad among those they acquire from private teachers.

#12 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2659 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:10

Might it be that the child needs to be at Grade 3 level to get some kind of scholarship entrance to school?  I once had a call from the mother of a child I was teaching, asking if I could get her to Grade 3 in the next 6 months or so in order for them to apply for a scholarship at the local high school. The girl was a beginner, hadn't been with me long and was nowhere near Grade 1. You can guess what my answer was. 

#13 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:47

It might be possible if they already have a high grade in another instrument and a spare couple of hours a day... If that were the case, they wouldn't have had any need for a pre-grade 1 exam as it would have only taken a few weeks to get that far! I had an adult recently complete accelerated PA in 5 weeks and will probably do  grade 3 at the end of her first year (currently about grade 2 after 6 months). She could already play another instrument and has plenty of time.

Definitely the right thing - the last thing you need is a pushy parent who thinks this is possible!

#14 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:52

I immediately thought 'music scholarship' too. If the child is year 5 or approaching a school change then this might well be the reason.

I know requirements vary, but round here the schools often ask for applicants to be grade 4 standard in their main instrument. Piano is not the best choice though.

#15 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 01 December 2018 - 20:43

The good news is, the parent was happy, eventually, to refer back to the current teacher.  I have known people advance a couple of grades very quickly, but that is usually due sheer dedication and will power.