Photo

Somewhere out there a peri teacher is very annoyed with me . . .

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22894 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 02 December 2018 - 21:28

I'm here to assure you that the school music service would relieve you of a student in a nanosecond without a qualm. Or is that only private schools......?

* voice of bitter experience*

Or take on a student who still has a teacher and not use different material but write extra things on the pieces you are working on wit the student.

#17 DMC

DMC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:50

Quite right for not taking this pupil on. You have 2 professional no-no's here - a parent who wishes to dictate curriculum, and being asked to be 1 of 2 teachers for the instrument.

You dodged a bullet Dorcas.

#18 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 03 December 2018 - 14:06

Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to reply.  I really dislike turning away potential students, and I have had to do that a few times this part of the term.  It's doubly annoying when I have spaces too.  

Happy nearly the winter holiday break forumites!

#19 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 03 December 2018 - 14:15

I find at least half of my enquiries have to be turned away - things like "If I bring a friend, will you only charge for 1 of us" (that one really made me laugh!), "I can only have lessons at 5.00 on a Sunday" or the most creepy one ever: "can you deal with a man who is really lonely". I also regularly have people asking me to travel to their house, which is never even local. If you won't travel for an hour each way for your lesson, why would I?!

#20 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 03 December 2018 - 16:17

rofl.gif 

Zwhe, sorry for rolling around laughing!  Looks like I am not the only one who has been busy dodging bullets.  

How about, 'yes I will charge for only one person as long as your friend sits on the pavement outside'?  Or, '5pm on Sundays, I will be grilling cheese on toast, can you bring some Lea and Perrins'?  Finally, 'do you want me to write a dating advert for you'? 

Crikey.  Thanks for helping me remember that my judgement, on the whole, is good.  

#21 musicposy

musicposy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Member: 25798
  • West Sussex

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:25

Haha zwhe, I'm so glad to read that it isn't just me!

This year when one of mine started secondary school, the dad texted me "She has to get up early for school so she can't come on a .monday now. We will have our lesson on a Friday at 7.30pm."
I said "Sorry, I don't teach Fridays" to which I got, "Well she will come Sunday at 6 then."

I was just aghast. They know I have many other pupils so even if I was crazy enough to teach on a Sunday or a Friday night, why do they assume these spaces are just waiting free for them?"

I said "I'm sorry, I have no other spare spaces at the moment so she'd need to find another teacher instead"

Immediate reply back "we'll stick to our current Monday at 7" !

#22 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:17

I recently got a text at midnight asking me to phone this particular parent at 8am before they go to work to discuss progress.
I make a point of not replying to any messages before noon - as I work until 9pm I don't think that's unreasonable!

#23 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7306 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 09 December 2018 - 14:21

I discourage the use of SMS except in the case of a real emergency. I have found the best way to discourage them is to ignore them. People do seem to expect an instant reply. I encourage the use of e-mail which at least I can read when I am able, in the comfort of my own "office" - where I will usually find all the documents or info I might need to reply. I aim to check my e-mails on the computer every day and it's rare that I don't.

#24 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 13 December 2018 - 14:14

The lowest of the low in the night - someone texted me at 2.30am. Seriously. They said they had woken up and remembered they hadn't cancelled today's lesson. I do have a 24 hour cancellation policy though - rest assured they will be charged. As it happens I switch my phone off at night, but not everyone has that luxury if they have elderly parents etc.

#25 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 14 December 2018 - 13:57

People just don't think

I must admit that an sms scheduling option would be good, I daresay there's an app for it just not looked yet. I often remember I need to message someone late at night but resist the urge in case they leave their phone on all night and it wakes them up (mine is always on as I use it as an alarm clock). The ability to write the msg whilst I remember but schedule it to be sent several hours later would be handy

#26 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 14 December 2018 - 15:14

People just don't think

I must admit that an sms scheduling option would be good, I daresay there's an app for it just not looked yet. I often remember I need to message someone late at night but resist the urge in case they leave their phone on all night and it wakes them up (mine is always on as I use it as an alarm clock). The ability to write the msg whilst I remember but schedule it to be sent several hours later would be handy

My SMS app allows me to do this, as do quite a number of apps (though probably not the stock apps that come with your phone).  I use the feature quite a bit, as I'm a night owl, and can do some of my most productive work in the early hours, but I don't want to send people texts at 1 am!  

Also just FYI, you can leave your phone on silent and your alarm will still sound - I do that every night.  It should do that automatically, but if not then it can be adjusted in the settings.