#1 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:27

Is anyone teaching rock and pop syllabuses? (Any instrument). I'm hoping to broaden the range of repertoire in my lessons. I have looked at Rock School and Trinity and prefer Trinity due to the wider range of pieces. Any thoughts?

#2 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:30

I use Rock School occasionally but have only had a handful of pupils take exams under the new syllabus.  I find it a very good option for a few pupils and it has helped one or two to keep going when they looked like giving up -- the main drawback is that the pieces are mostly aimed at band-style playing and don't work so well as solo performance pieces.  I have only had two pupils choose to take a Grade exam as opposed to the Performance option and they found the technical requirements quite tough.

I have also used London College Leisure Play and offer this to pupils who get nervous about the technical aspects.  Main drawback for youngsters is that it's not in the qualifications framework.

This is piano.

Edited by agricola, 11 December 2018 - 11:31 .

#3 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:55

I used to like the Rock School exams-basically same format as classical grades but for those who want to play contemporary style music, but don't want to present improvisation as part of their exam material. I entered several pupils for these and we enjoyed preparing for them. I had high hopes for the new syllabus but it hasn't worked for those pupils I've tried it with (admittedly not many as yet). I agree with what agricola says- it's too band-based with the requirement to play to a backing track. I did trial the grade 4 pieces with a pupil but she found them too long and tricky to learn, especially as I remember some of the pieces had fiddly little changes over the page in an otherwise unchanged repeat of earlier sections. It's a pity as I found that the old syllabus filled a gap in the market.

#4 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 12 December 2018 - 15:39

Thanks very much for sharing. I have the Rock School and Trinity Debut and Initial books (Prep test) and generally prefer Trinity as the supporting tests don't seem so complicated and there is more choice of genuine songs to play. It's just that the Trinity ones seem to be accompaniment, with no tune in the right hand. I'll have a look at Rock School's performance option, and LCM's Leisure Play.