Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5700 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 11 December 2018 - 18:00

My G2 piano pupil isn't happy with the C list in the Selected Pieces book. Please can anyone advise where I can get C5, Saint-Saens The Royal March of the Lions instead? I think it's the kind of piece that might appeal to him.

Of Lists A and B, he's chosen two pieces which have a very similar left-hand pattern (I've loaned him the book, so can't look up which pieces they are). Would this actually matter at this grade?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22894 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 11 December 2018 - 19:14

Even if a balanced programme is mentioned in the syllabus it can't make any difference at any level as there are no marks allocated to programme choice.

It may be good practice to try to have variety and for some the challenge of doing this is an accepted challenge and part of learning to be a musician. 

#3 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19774 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 11 December 2018 - 19:35

I agree about the C list - I’m / we’re having difficulty choosing, although my two likely candidates have already learnt their A and B pieces (and really enjoy them). I feel the C choice is actually rather limited.

The two jazzy ones just don’t play to my pupils’ strengths at this level. And they are not attracted by the Valse (C3). Although both are having a shot at it, their heart isn’t in it.

I got hold of the Saint-Saens last week - from memory it’s in Piano Mix but I will check in a few minutes.

(Eta) yes - it’s in Piano Star book 1 (grades 1-2). It’s in A minor, so the same key as two of the group B pieces (not that I regard that as a problem, really). For what it’s worth, I have the book with C6 in, and I thought it was deadly dull. Sorry, Pam W!

#4 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7304 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:09

Yes, I too am having difficulty with the Grade 2  C List and  we have opted for the Saint-Saens. It's quite a nice arrangement, not too difficult and I've got a CD of the original (old standby for junior school class music teaching) and they have enjoyed that. I really think that two jazz pieces in one list is not acceptable. One is enough!

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5700 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:52

I got hold of the Saint-Saens last week - from memory it’s in Piano Mix but I will check in a few minutes.

(Eta) yes - it’s in Piano Star book 1 (grades 1-2). It’s in A minor, so the same key as two of the group B pieces (not that I regard that as a problem, really). For what it’s worth, I have the book with C6 in, and I thought it was deadly dull. Sorry, Pam W!

Maggiemay, are you sure it's in Piano Star Bk 1? I have just checked on Musicroom, but their Piano Star Bk 1 states up to Prep Test level on the cover, and Royal March of the Lions (C5) isn't listed under the contents. Or am I just getting confused? (I am easily confused!)

#6 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3338 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 17 December 2018 - 13:01

Maybe she means Piano mix.Just checked and it is in Piano mix book 1.

#7 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5700 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 17 December 2018 - 17:43

Many thanks, LP. Piano Mix Bk 1 is now winging its way to me. smile.png

#8 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19774 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 17 December 2018 - 20:39

Yes, sorry Misterioso - I see my post was amiguous. Not at home right now - Glad you wre able to clarify!