Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5701 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 11 December 2018 - 18:15

I'd really like to know which types of rosin get recommended by violin teachers. Unfortunately, most violin outfits come with the light amber-coloured block that passes for rosin, although I have heard that the darker it is, the better (presumably something to do with the friction? - You can tell I'm not mechanically-minded!)

I use Kaplan Art rosin, and recommend this to my students as well. An adult student used it in her lesson today for the first time, and was seriously impressed by the difference in clarity. (She had previously been using Hidersine amber rosin.) I think there have been previous threads on this topic, but it might be helpful to have a further discussion, especially as there are, no doubt, new brands out there that haven't been covered before.

Also, are there some rosins that seem to be better suited to particular strings? I'm currently using Obligato, and my adult student is on Helicores.  

#2 jmcellist

jmcellist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 487246

Posted 11 December 2018 - 19:34

As a cello teacher I understand the question, but would say that for the majority of students,any rosin will do the job. So I tend to go for the ones that are mid-priced and avoid any brand that comes in a tin (as they are impossible to open). For advanced cello students I recommend AB rosin which is quite dark green and not as expensive as the also good Pirastro options. Rosin does vary in stickiness with the darker coloured ones being more grippy, and some people use a light rosin in summer and a darker one in winter because the rosin becomes stickier in warm weather. As you can see, rosin can be a really nerdy topic!

#3 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7079 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:27

I use the Kaplan Artcraft dark rosin, which was recommended by both my violin/viola teacher and the two main luthiers in the region.  I use it for both violin and viola.  I did try the light version for my violin, after someone on here mentioned that light rosins should be used for upper string instruments, but I did not like it (there was a noticable difference compared to the dark version).  I use Corelli Crystal strings on my violin and Vision Solos on my viola.  I have previously used Dominant and Obligato strings on my viola with the same rosin.  

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:46

I'm not a teacher but an experience amateur violinist, and over the years I've tried several different rosins, some quite expensive. ( My strings are either synthetic core, or on my baroque violin plain gut). I never liked the Hidersine Amber owing to its scratchy sound and the way it dusted off quite quickly. For a long time I was happy with Kaplan Artcraft recommended by my teacher, then moved on to Liebenzeller Gold (pricey) which I thought gave a cleaner sound, particularly on the gut strings.

Some years later I was given free samples of Andrea 'A piacere' and 'Solo' rosins - the 'A piacere' (apparently the old Tartini Green) was lovely on my Obbligato strings and I treated myself to a half cake. I find I don't need to apply very much and it lasts very well.  The 'Solo' worked very well but was rather loud and bright, too much so for my taste as I'm not a soloist!

At some stage I also acquired some Hill dark rosin - it is very similar to the 'A piacere' but less than half the price. I see that Hill recommend the dark for cellos and do a paler rosin for violin and viola, but I haven't tried this.

I don't know if some rosins are better suited to particular strings -  it depends in any case what you are looking for. A 'mellow' rosin can tone down bright strings and vice versa. You end up with a lot of variables. I've recently changed from Obbligato to Warchal Ametyst which I find a little brighter and more characterful - I'm really pleased with them.  I'd love to try lots of different strings but it would take too much time and money.