Photo

Has Anyone Ever Started Up Their Own Beginner's Group?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alkan

Alkan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 897919

Posted 19 October 2017 - 13:31

At 61 and an old hand at the piano I took up cello two years ago and my teacher reckons I should take Grade 3 in the Spring.

Now there are plenty of pieces to choose from and lots of variety, but the thing I really miss on the cello is playing with other people, as my wife, son and I have a little guitar/voice, drums and keyboards trio and nothing beats sharing music like that.

I had thought about approaching local violin/viola teachers and asking if they had any old pupils around my level who would be interested in forming a trio or quartet to bash through some 'easy' string quartet pieces and I am sure there such books with different string parts.

Has anyone ever tried to do this or has ever played in such a group? Would it work, I ask myself? Would there be enough older violin/viola player at my level ?If I reduced the 'age' requirement, would a younger player soon leap ahead and find we were holding them back?

Any comments from this forum gratefully received!

Alkan

#2 Dharma

Dharma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Member: 364553
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 20 October 2017 - 20:12

Have you thought about joining an amateur orchestra? Some of them will take people from grade 2, I believe?

http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk

#3 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22327 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 20 October 2017 - 20:33

Some of my clarinet teacher's adult students get together to duet.

#4 Alkan

Alkan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 897919

Posted 25 October 2017 - 17:57

Thanks for the replies - but it looks as though I am out on my own with this idea.

All my local amateur orchestras seem to want Grade 5 and above, so if I manage to set something up I'll let you know how it goes.