jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2744 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 16 July 2019 - 19:54

I'm pretty sure the suggestion was that they would all be using ipads...

#47 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1086 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:56

I'm pretty sure the suggestion was that they would all be using ipads...

Yes, iPads with a stylus pen so no clacking of keyboards to disturb the playing. An examiner friend told me that this is planned from January next, but that there was a feeling that having only the six weeks or so of period C for trialling the new system will not be long enough.

#48 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 17 July 2019 - 19:58

I was told rather vaguely "Next year." That for me would mean next July. I have never used a stylus pen or an ipad. How does it work? do you write normally but the programme turns this into print? I can't imagine that tapping letters with a pen would be fast enough. Or are they simply going to select a remark from a preprepared remark bank?

#49 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 17 July 2019 - 20:33

I've also heard mutterings about word banks. Be careful what you wish for - the comments may become even more bland and anodyne than at present, even if they are more legible. A bit like that undergrad 'philosophy 'question - 'Is it better to write a  brilliant essay that no-one can read or a boring one that everyone can read?'

#50 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3186 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:01

The word bank has been in existence for some years which explains certain written words and phrases being used over and over again. Still, so long as it prevents the punters challenging results then that's ok, isn't it?
Cynical-Bag x

#51 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2744 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:21

I've also heard mutterings about word banks. Be careful what you wish for - the comments may become even more bland and anodyne than at present, even if they are more legible. A bit like that undergrad 'philosophy 'question - 'Is it better to write a  brilliant essay that no-one can read or a boring one that everyone can read?'

I must say that although I struggled to read this examiner's comments, at least the comments are mainly positive and don't seem to have come from a word bank. There was a definite lack of punctuation, however. And no general comment at the end.   

#52 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:36

Can some kind sould decode "tonal uneveness" for me? Ta.

#53 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:05

Your tone varied and wasn't always as good as it could have been (tone quality, not tone colouring).

#54 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:30

I would think it refers to unevenness in sound quality, some notes "sticking out" or suddenly sounding too weak within the rise and fall of phrases. Perhaps a pp may sound weak or timid rather than soft and full, a crescendo may start too strongly in relation to the previous phrase, or its peak may sound too harsh and accented - in piano due to uneven finger pressure/arm/hand movements? (I'm not a teacher but have had similar crit in lessons.)

With flute my new teacher has pointed this out as a consistent flaw, that for some reason I often interrupt the airflow and kind of back off the sound after the first note of phrases, often coinciding with certain finger changes.
My merciless teachers will sometimes do an exaggerated imitation of what I'm doing - this usually brings it home! Sob.

#55 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:39

I have never used a stylus pen or an ipad. How does it work? do you write normally but the programme turns this into print?

You write on the screen with the stylus (or e-pencil, which is what I think the board are using) and the result is an electronic document that reproduces the handwriting. Advantages include the fact that examiners can make corrections (currently they have to rewrite the entire marksheet if they make a mistake), and once the sheet is finalised it can be transmitted electronically to the board, saving the cost and delay of postage.

It is possible for the device to turn the handwriting into print, but I don't know if the ABRSM are intending to use that facility. See:

https://www.youtube....h?v=rIwscGQuEZc

#56 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 22 July 2019 - 15:00

Thanks Hidegarde.  I've looked at the link. Also someone has shown me another application in which the written text was turned into print.  There doesn't seem to be any point in using the ipad unless the writing is turned into print. It may be an advantage for the examiner not to have to rewrite a whole report because  of a small slip but it won't make it any easier for us to read. It is also obviously an advantage for the Board not to have to use snail mail but I can't help wondering if their level of (in)efficiency with online stuff will make much difference for customers. The ideal would be an application in which the screen  mimics the exam report form  - and adds up the marks. Remains to be seen how it will turn out. If it makes for better legibility I'm all for it. If it means that the use of the  iniquitous word bank will increase then I am against it. If it means delays in getting results that get lost in the system then it won't be much help.

Our Rep has seen it but  I didn't have time to discuss it with her in any detail. However she said "It's much better."

#57 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 22 July 2019 - 15:01

Final result in - another merit for grade 2 flute!

#58 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 17:12

There doesn't seem to be any point in using the ipad unless the writing is turned into print. It may be an advantage for the examiner not to have to rewrite a whole report because  of a small slip but it won't make it any easier for us to read.

Yes, although the counter-argument could be that print rather than handwriting might seem impersonal. I can't easily find out what is intended as my examiner colleague (if he even knows) is away on a long examining tour in the far east. I have heard that examiners resent having to spend an unpaid hour each evening "topping and tailing" up to 30 marksheets with candidates' names, teachers or school names (the latter can be very long), dates, instruments, grades and so on - again having to rewrite the whole sheet if a mistake is made. I wonder if the system will be able to do that for them. It seems extraordinary that in 2019 the data the board has for entry lists cannot be automagically copied to mark sheets.

#59 hls4

hls4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 893458
  • South East London

Posted 22 July 2019 - 17:40

Off the bench now - results in - 2 merits and 1 distinction (all grade 1 piano). biggrin.png

Time for summer break now! woot.gif

#60 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 10620

Posted 22 July 2019 - 18:21

Update, my candidates from the chaotic and twice rearranged exams on the 12th July achieved a pass and a merit. Little lower than I’d hoped but hard to prove they were affected by what happened. Emailed ABRSM last Monday to express my annoyance at their poor handling, miscommunication and bad service, had an acknowledgement back that it was being ‘looked into’ and nothing since....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exams