Foreign Languages

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#31 Guest: sarah-flute_*

Guest: sarah-flute_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 14 March 2006 - 17:30

Well I'm only any good at two of them! I like languages, I can't seem to stop the urge to learn as much of as many as possible....

#32 Guest: isabelsmells_*

Guest: isabelsmells_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 17:33

English is my mother tounge, but I can also speak Spanish pretty well as my dad's from Peru!

#33 Guest: Boo Radley_*

Guest: Boo Radley_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 17:59

QUOTE(another crazy pianist @ Mar 13 2006, 02:28 PM) View Post

We've been talking about languages in the past (see below)

http://forums.abrsm....wtopic=9430&hl=
Languages
http://forums.abrsm....wtopic=9385&hl=
Languages 2

My mother tongue is Dutch, French being my second language and English my third. I also studied some German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish. I particularly like getting acquainted with the principles of grammar, but vocabulary is a never ending story.

ohmy.gif Darn good for a third language!

QUOTE(stevensfo @ Mar 13 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

Wife is Polish and I can speak just enough to survive and chat with the in-laws, but I'll never be fluent. It's an incredibly hard language! The grammar was invented by a sadist. There are 3 genders, Masc, Fem and Neuter, but the masc. is divided into Inanimate/Animate, so in fact there are 4 to learn, each has its Sing. and plural, 7 cases to learn for each!

Then there are the adjectives which have to agree with the....... blink.gif
Fortunately, they're all very friendly - oh, and I like vodka! wink.gif

Steve

Heehee sounds so much fun!

QUOTE(cheeble @ Mar 13 2006, 07:49 PM) View Post

I speek Engleesh.

I learn it from a book.

laugh.gif

How dare some people be so intelligent! First language is English, can sort of get by a little bit in German and am currently learning Arabic, which is great fun! Atakallam :arabi qaliil!

#34 Guest: sarah-flute_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 18:04

QUOTE(Boo Radley @ Mar 14 2006, 05:59 PM) View Post

How dare some people be so intelligent!

Says he who's self teaching Arabic rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

#35 Guest: The Oboemeister_*

Guest: The Oboemeister_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 19:26

Mother Tongue : English
Learning at school : French (intend to do at degree level) Latin (A level definate, mebbe joint degree with French too) and Japanese (I'll do it as long as possible before the endless repetition of "yomimasu nomimasu kikimase kakimasu shimasu asobimasu okimasu nemasu [listing verb infinitives] etc finally kills me)
Have attempted (badly) to teach myself: Dutch, German
Will attempt (badly) to teach myself : Welsh, Russian
Linguistical aim : Be able to hold a decent conversation with anybody in any language in the world

#36 Guest: fay_*

Guest: fay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 20:16

Argh!!!!!!!!! You are all making me feel stupid now unsure.gif

I only speak french and German (I am taking them at gcse) and a very minimal amount of spanish. I once tried to teach myself Korean and Indonisian but I was learning from a book and had no idea how to say anything tongue.gif

and my mother tongue is english

#37 Guest: july_*

Guest: july_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 21:36

QUOTE(anacrusis @ Mar 13 2006, 08:20 PM) View Post

QUOTE(july @ Mar 13 2006, 03:41 PM) View Post

I have two mothertongues! It's a little complicated, but I'm fluent in both German and English. I spoke English first and learnt German when I was 4 or 5. My parents are also fluent in both and I'm in mothertongue English and mothertongue German classes at school. Don't know which of the two I'm more confident in. As I'm living in Germany at the moment, I know more slang words and stuff in German than I do in English! smile.gif

p.s. And I don't have a German accent when I speak English or an English one when I speak German. Have been told that this might have to do with being musical and hearing the nuances! No idea how true this is, but it's a flattering statement! laugh.gif

Sarah-flute is right - linguists tell me that my lack of accent with each is because I'm a true bilingual, having learnt both from the beginning - and certainly before age 6.

How flattering, I'm a true bilingual! rolleyes.gif smile.gif Quite cool, though. Anyone else here feel really annoyed when speaking to monolingual people? I tend to become quite impatient with German people who don't understand the English words I keep dropping into sentences.ph34r.gif My favourite one is 'obviously'. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent word for it in German...

#38 Guest: Philharmonica_*

Guest: Philharmonica_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 21:41

QUOTE(july @ Mar 14 2006, 04:36 PM) View Post

How flattering, I'm a true bilingual! rolleyes.gif smile.gif Quite cool, though. Anyone else here feel really annoyed when speaking to monolingual people? I tend to become quite impatient with German people who don't understand the English words I keep dropping into sentences.ph34r.gif My favourite one is 'obviously'. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent word for it in German...

I kind of have that trouble, in that when there's a certain word that does not exist in English, I substitute it with a French word or a Japanese word that I find is more appropriate (and then I get blank looks tongue.gif).

#39 Guest: another crazy pianist_*

Guest: another crazy pianist_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 21:53

QUOTE(july @ Mar 14 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post

I tend to become quite impatient with German people who don't understand the English words I keep dropping into sentences.ph34r.gif My favourite one is 'obviously'. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent word for it in German...

I would say "klar", but as an adverb, that doesn't fit very well, does it?

#40 Guest: sarah-flute_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:16

QUOTE(july @ Mar 14 2006, 09:36 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

I don't get annoyed with people for not understanding, but I do get annoyed with people for assuming everyone will speak their language - something us in the English speaking world are well known for. It is embarrassing to be aborad with people who won't even try to learn to say hello in the local tongue.

#41 Guest: another crazy pianist_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:26

This evening I had to call the police for an emergency. (After all, there was no problem, fortunately!)
Brussels is officially bilingual, so I spoke Dutch, my mother tongue. But the officer replied "Vous parlez le français?" So I had no choice and continued in French, but I was quite shocked about this ! mad.gif I think I should lodge a complaint !

#42 Guest: sarah-flute_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:27

That's a bit rubbish really, isn't it?

#43 Guest: another crazy pianist_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:29

QUOTE(sarah-flute @ Mar 14 2006, 11:27 PM) View Post

That's a bit rubbish really, isn't it?

You mean the officer or me ? huh.gif

#44 Guest: sarah-flute_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:51

The officer!!!

#45 Guest: anacrusis_*

Guest: anacrusis_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:02

QUOTE(july @ Mar 14 2006, 09:36 PM) View Post

QUOTE(anacrusis @ Mar 13 2006, 08:20 PM) View Post

QUOTE(july @ Mar 13 2006, 03:41 PM) View Post

I have two mothertongues! It's a little complicated, but I'm fluent in both German and English. I spoke English first and learnt German when I was 4 or 5. My parents are also fluent in both and I'm in mothertongue English and mothertongue German classes at school. Don't know which of the two I'm more confident in. As I'm living in Germany at the moment, I know more slang words and stuff in German than I do in English! smile.gif

p.s. And I don't have a German accent when I speak English or an English one when I speak German. Have been told that this might have to do with being musical and hearing the nuances! No idea how true this is, but it's a flattering statement! laugh.gif

Sarah-flute is right - linguists tell me that my lack of accent with each is because I'm a true bilingual, having learnt both from the beginning - and certainly before age 6.

"Offentsichtlich, or "selbstverständlich", maybe?
As a very small kid, I didn't realise that others couldn't understand if I was in the "wrong" language, and if I couldn't remember a word in one would produce an equivalent in the other, but with the pronunciation of the first! I now get more irritated with myself if a word or expression hides deep in my subconscious, rather than with the person who is having to wait patiently for some trivial anecdote to be finished. blink.gif