Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 20 May 2018 - 21:07

Good move. I did that when I went to the IDRS conference in Birmingham back in 2009.

#77 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Member: 73855

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:24

Have a great time Dumdidum, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. I considered it but it wasn't music I was eager enough to play for the price!.

I've been doing a local orchestral course this week which has been wonderful.

Rehearsals all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon - concert Wednesday evening.

Rehearsal Thursday morning, all day yesterday and this afternoon for concert tonight.

Wednesday I was playing 2nd oboe for the  Brahms Academic Festival Overture and Shostakovich Piano Concerto 2, and 1st oboe for Kodaly Hary Janos Suite and Tchaikovsky's Capricio Italien.  Tonight I'm playing in the Shostakovich Suite for Variety Orchestra (Jazz Suite) and 2nd oboe for Gershwin's American in Paris.

It's been exhausting and exhilarating in equal measure, Some (most) of the music has been hard, some just at the edge of my capability - certainly in the time we ha available to rehearse, But it's been a very supportive, friendly atmosphere and I've loved the music we've played. The concert on Wednesday was fabulous and I'm really looking forward to tonight. 

#78 itchy1

itchy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Member: 6393
  • NE Yorkshire - the seaside

Posted 09 June 2018 - 20:52

Hello everyone

It's been a long time since I was here.   Still playing, more local orchestral things now and a little bit of chamber music.  Busy playing Albinoni at the moment and Piazzola " "Oblivion".  Just great.  It's good to be back.

#79 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:54

Hello oboists - are there any still around?

What is everyone working on at the moment?

I'm preparing for my ARSM exam this Autumn - about 3 and a half weeks to go...eeek.

Main focus now is building up stamina to get through 30 minutes of performance. I'll be playing Exton 3 pieces for solo oboe, first 2 of the Schumann Romances, Ranki Don Quixote and Dulcinea and Marcello Oboe Concerto (all 3 movements).  I've really enjoyed working on these pieces so hopefully I'll be able to do them justice.

#80 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 27 October 2018 - 14:00

I am still here!

Your programme is quite demanding. Both the Schumann 2 and the Marcelo 2 will drain your endurance. I always had problems with my endurance in my playing days. Are you planning on taking a 3-minute break (as you are entitled to) during your exam?

Hello oboists - are there any still around?
What is everyone working on at the moment?
I'm preparing for my ARSM exam this Autumn - about 3 and a half weeks to go...eeek.
Main focus now is building up stamina to get through 30 minutes of performance. I'll be playing Exton 3 pieces for solo oboe, first 2 of the Schumann Romances, Ranki Don Quixote and Dulcinea and Marcello Oboe Concerto (all 3 movements). I've really enjoyed working on these pieces so hopefully I'll be able to do them justice.

#81 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 15:27

I am still here!

Your programme is quite demanding. Both the Schumann 2 and the Marcelo 2 will drain your endurance. I always had problems with my endurance in my playing days. Are you planning on taking a 3-minute break (as you are entitled to) during your exam?

Hi, yes I've realised it is quite demanding.  The piece I'm most concerned about from a stamina point of view is Schumann 2 -  my main problem is making sure I breath out enough before breathing in, when I am nervous I tend not to breath out and then nearly keel over by half way through so I need to focus on making that more automatic . My lip endurance is not bad but I am specifically trying to build it up over the next few weeks.  I performed the first Schumann Pieces on Saturday and I managed to get through them which was a relief.

I am hoping to take the break - but need to double check the timings to ensure that I will still be within the time limit if I do (according to my initial run through I should be able to!).

It definitely will be a challenge - but then it wouldn't be worth doing if it wasn't! :-) 

#82 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Stockport

Posted 30 October 2018 - 17:42

I'm still here. My teacher has periodically mentioned ARSM - I've managed to sidestep the issue so far! I remember having a look at the Schumann pieces some time ago and recall I found No 2 the toughest. On that note (no pun intended) I'm currently looking at Schumann's Adagio and Allegro  with occasional forays into Vivaldi to try and get my old fingers to move a bit faster. Plus now and then I get to have a go at some contemporary stuff (Thea Musgrave for instance) which I like even if I can't do it justice. 

Also doing some Christmassy stuff in wind band and orchestra including Tchaikovsky"s Nutcracker Suite which is fun.

Good luck with the exam, let us know how you get on.

#83 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 13:15

I think it has been good working towards the ARSM - it has definitely given more focus to my practice, I've enjoyed exploring the repertoire list and working with my accompanist.  It's also pushing my out of my comfort zone.  So regardless of the final result I think I've got something out of it.

I will let you all know how I do.

I think I have the Adagio and Allegro but haven't looked at it in any detail yet.  once the exam is out of the way I'll have another look at the music I have that I haven't really worked on yet.

I would definitely recommend the Ranki - it is a lot of fun to play (and in 5/8 so good for improving counting).

#84 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 15:43

Exam tomorrow - run through last night went terribly but that is just nerves.

I know that I can play them and I know I can get through the program but I just need to keep my nerves under control.

Hopefully will be Ok.

Final timings and order sorted now

Exton

Schumann

2 minute break (to recover from the Schumann)

Ranki

Marcello.

Total 30 minutes 50 seconds (or there about).

This time tomorrow it will all be done.....will let you know how it goes.

#85 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Stockport

Posted 20 November 2018 - 17:50

Good luck.

#86 dumdidum

dumdidum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Member: 488225
  • Mancland

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:47

Good luck flobiano!

I have been keeping a low profile as my first (and last!) oboe workshop was so awful I went home in tears! Hardly anyone came and I was awful, so have drawn a veil over it.

Still enjoying playing though....

I am preparing for maybe a summer grade 7 exam. Thinking of doing the last Schumann Romance rather than the first; Mike Mower Answer the Question; Albinoni Adagio and Allegro: 2nd and 3rd movts from Concerto in Bb, Op. 7 No. 3.

Glad to see the scale requirements have been cut down - much less daunting than grade 6 from old syllabus.

#87 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 14:06

Thanks Dumdidum and Arundodonuts. 

All done now! Was battling with my reed in the warm up room and at last minute thought I'd check my back up...turned out to be in perfect shape and just ready to do n exam on. So had good reed, acoustics were lovely. All mistakes my own;

Bits of it went really well, managed to get some good dynanics in and I think the second movement of Marcello sounded particularly good.

Made more mistakes than I was happy with. Probably at least one bar in each piece that I fluffed...mainly in bars that are straight forward that I've never made a mistake in before - all due to nerves and concentration waivering. Some intonation in the Schumann wasn't great. But we kept going at all point, always finished with the piano.

Think he would be very harsh to fail me...but beyond that have no idea.A merit would be nice, suspect too many mistakes for a distinction..oh well.

Sorry your oboe workshop was a bad experience Dumdidum. I recommend the Big Double Reed Day at Guildhall if you can make it in Feb...really good classes, you don't have to play for others if you don't want to but everyone is very encouraging if you do! 

Good luck in your exam preparation. Sounds like a lovely program :-) 

#88 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Stockport

Posted 21 November 2018 - 21:00

Well done flobiano. Fingers crossed for a great result.

#89 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:42

Thanks Arododonuts.

I got my results yesterday and passed with merit (42/50).  Don't know the breakdown in marks between the pieces and performance sections, will be interesting to see the comments but pleased with that result. :-)

#90 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Stockport

Posted 05 December 2018 - 17:54

Well done again. Even more this time!