mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 23 April 2007 - 21:10

I did music A-level in a local VI Form college because there were no evening classes available. For this to work you naturally have to be available during the day (which I was at the time).
It couldn't have been more awkward because it was on the other side of the city and meant I had to travel in 4 days per week for a 1-1/2 hr lesson + choir practice which was not necessarily immediately before or after a lesson, requiring more hanging around.

The second year I found a college closer to my home that did a weeks' worth in one day and was prepared to take me on as a 2nd year working alongside the 1st years. (A paying student is always welcome!)

In both cases I was nearly 20 years older than most others in the classes (there were another couple of adults at the first one) and didn't necessarily find myself mixing too well with the youngsters (what massive egos some 'arty' kids have!) so made friends with the tutors instead.

Most of the students were nice, the coursework was a joy and the gigs were tremendous fun. I thoroughly enjoyed (nearly) every minute. I would recommend this if no other option is open. A mixed age class can calm some high spirits, but be prepared to hold back a bit if you find you know most of the answers; give the others a chance! wink.gif

Mel.

#17 Adele

Adele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Member: 244837

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:43

Just wondered if you found one in the end? I am looking now but having trouble!! sad.gif x

#18 harmonium

harmonium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Member: 6045
  • Suffolk, UK

Posted 18 May 2011 - 15:46

Depends where you are in Essex... Hills Road Sixth Form College (Cambridge) do run a course, - in the evenings.
Hope this helps.

#19 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 18 May 2011 - 21:42

Southgate College in London is an FE college with strong music- I did my A level music there many years ago and am sure it's still offered. It was a daytime course when I was there for full time A level students, I can't remember if they offered it within the evening courses.
City Lit college in London have a large range of adult music courses- worth checking if you're in London, not sure if they do A Level but I had an adult student taking a Musical Theatre diploma course who was thinking about joining their Aural classes.

#20 drummingman

drummingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 899291

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:40

https://www.oca.ac.u...#sidewidgetarea