gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 21 January 2019 - 16:06

Hello all :)

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with teaching yourselves the flute? And if so, what resources you would recommend to work through to get going? eg books etc

I've found a reasonably helpful YouTube channel which has helped me to successfully make a sound out of it, and from what I understand the fingering is quite similar to the sax (but I haven't really got that far with it yet). My aim at the moment with it is to 'know enough to be dangerous' i.e. to play in my local (beginner friendly) orchestra. I probably won't do grades, the sax is keeping me plenty busy on that front! 

#2 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:09

I don't have any experience of teaching myself the flute, as I had lessons at school, but you're right in thinking that a lot of the fingering, especially in the first two octaves, is similar to the sax, although not identical.

I went in the opposite direction to you, and taught myself sax, having learned the flute, and it's certainly common for people to play both.

Good luck, and have fun!

#3 suziesax

suziesax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Member: 895611
  • West Yorkshire

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:53

I started the learn the flute, after the sax, and learnt clarinet as a child. It was easy to begin with, but I am working on G6 at the moment and my big problems are tone, and breathing. I stormed the early grades when I could get away with it, but I find my teacher invaluable. Fortunatley she teaches all 3. Good luck!

#4 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 22 January 2019 - 18:30

This site of Jennifer Cluff has a great many very helpful articles on playing the flute: https://www.jennifercluff.com/

#5 Violalala

Violalala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Member: 322745
  • Guernsey

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:59

Oooo! I've just picked up the flute for the first time, after playing recorders/viola/violin/guitar for years. I'm hoping my recorder experience will help. Interested to read more replies I hope you get.

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:23

I tried to teach myself the flute and it did not work out because I had no idea what I was doing even with the help of youtube.   I progressed better with  a teacher