Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:51

Out of curiosity, I'm just wondering if there's a stage at which piano players who still practise scales and arpeggios find themselves no longer practising these exercises as hands separately, or at least much less frequently than hands together?

#2 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 899386
  • Penarth

Posted 27 January 2019 - 19:49

It is probably different for everyone. I am currently preparing for Level 5 and do not practice with hands separately. I've been away from piano for a long time (and never did exams before), but honestly, I don't remember ever practicing scales hands separately aside from the initial stage of working out the fingering, etc. I could just be forgetting! I will probably run through everything hands separately once or twice before the exam just to make sure it doesn't throw me off!

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 27 January 2019 - 20:06

You can get asked for a hands separate scale at grade 5. It should be easy when you've learnt them together but it can throw people so it is a good idea to run through the scales hands separately.

#4 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:13

I've just taken grade 3 and my teacher (sadly now moved on to pastures anew, so no longer my teacher) always insisted on practicing scales and arpeggios hands seperately and together. He said whilst most of the time examiners will ask for hands together, there are those who like to throw the curve ball of hands seperately.

#5 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:58

You can get asked for a hands separate scale at grade 5. It should be easy when you've learnt them together but it can throw people so it is a good idea to run through the scales hands separately.

And Grade 7!

My teacher explained why hands separate is so important, particularly for those of us (most of us I suspect) who have a dominant hand. Separate practice is needed to make the less dominant hand play them without assistance, and it's also really good when you try and pick up the pace as you can hear tiny little errors that you wouldn't hear if both hands were playing. 

#6 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:02

And Grade 7!

My teacher explained why hands separate is so important, particularly for those of us (most of us I suspect) who have a dominant hand. Separate practice is needed to make the less dominant hand play them without assistance, and it's also really good when you try and pick up the pace as you can hear tiny little errors that you wouldn't hear if both hands were playing. 

Thanks EllieD, those are great points. I shall make a point of practising my scales HS, too. :)

#7 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2069 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 28 January 2019 - 14:17

Another good way to practise is with hands sep but with the unoccupied hand miming (shadowing). Especially useful with the non-dominant hand playing.

#8 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 28 January 2019 - 15:22

I had a conversation with my piano teacher today about how to structure my scales playing now I do not have to practise scales for an exam. He is a great advocate of hands separate scales, and said that he practices right hand scales downwards first (so they mirror LH scales). He does this to make sure his RH little finger gets a workout at the beginning and end of the scale, rather than just at the turn-round.

#9 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22911 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 28 January 2019 - 18:57

I'd probably stopped practising scales hand separately as s soon as I was playing them hands together. 

At around grade 5 I discovered that this meant that one hand was relying on the other when a teacher asked for separate hands.

After that I began to include separate as well as together as standard practice.