#1 Misti

Misti

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts
  • Member: 879

Posted 12 March 2011 - 14:44

Lent started around the same time as my Final Design Project at uni. This a huge project, where me and my team of 4, have 6 weeks to design an antibiotics factory.

I had this bright idea that seeing as (what with the design project before being so stressful, nasty etcetc) I'd been eating an awful lots of sweet, cakey, chocolatey yummy-but-unhealthy things, it was about time I stopped it for a while. Lent is a good excuse (and provides some extra motivation).

Except... now I've realised, I actually can't work without chocolate. ohmy.gif

Had anyone else decided to give something up? Any particularly interesting examples?

A couple of years ago I persuaded my boyfriend to give up SlashDot (a rather geeky news forum) for Lent. He wasted so much time on it every day... (Let not mention my usage of these forums, huh? biggrin.gif)

#2 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1820 posts
  • Member: 33716

Posted 12 March 2011 - 15:04

QUOTE(tamsin @ Mar 12 2011, 02:44 PM) View Post

A couple of years ago I persuaded my boyfriend to give up SlashDot (a rather geeky news forum) for Lent.

I call fake on this one. Everyone knows that any guy who was an avid SlashDot reader would never have a girlfriend!

wink.gif

#3 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5784 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 12 March 2011 - 15:07

I've given up playing computer games for Lent!

If you can't work without chocolate (and I understand completely, as I can't either) you can take advantage of the lesser-known fact that as Sundays are Feast days, you are allowed to eat chocolate then. I actually got through (almost!) the whole of Lent one year doing this. Might work for you?

One year OH gave up alcohol for Lent, but didn't quite last out. When he did go out drinking again, his body wasn't used to it and he ended up absolutely plastered. ill.gif

(He's not allowed to give up alcohol any more!) biggrin.gif

#4 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 12 March 2011 - 15:13

I tend always to give up things made from flour, eggs and milk because those are the things that we are supposed to give up. Remember why we have pancake day? To use up all the "staple" ingredients before the start of Lent. I also try to take up some good practices. One of my my favourite books is by Charles Fillmore.

Extract from "Keep a true Lent" by Charles Fillmore:

"Whether or not you follow the ecclesiastical observance of Lent, consider its metaphysical application. Turn from the simple act of giving up things to a more positive commitment to take up the practice of higher thinking.

For instance, Lent is often a discipline to give up certain foods. This is somewhat like dieting where people want to give up putting on weight. Unfortunately, if one holds onto a self-image of ?too fat?, this practice is self-defeating. Try a new approach. Don?t give up anything. Instead take up a new image of yourself. ?Think thin? and you will find yourself eating less and more wisely. And your weight will balance itself more effectively than when you tried so hard to give up things. This is just one example.

Take up the practice of speaking the positive word, ?Let something good be said!? Commit yourself to a diet of words that are positive and loving. Whether you are talking to or about people, events or ideas, let something good be said!

Lent can be a spiritual experience, not by what you give up as much as by what you take up. More than just trying to lose weight, you will be working to shift the weight of your consciousness from the negative to the positive and creative. It can be a time of great believing leading to great overcoming and great living. It can be a wonderful season of spiritual growth."

#5 Halka

Halka

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Member: 11036

Posted 12 March 2011 - 15:16

I have given up alcohol for Lent, but will be sorely tested as I have two stressful business trips to Munich (all that beer!) with Japanese clients in the next month, and I shall certainly feel like something strong by the time I get home.

Daughter has decided to be vegan for Lent - just to be awkward as she is an extremely fussy eater at the best of times, and doesn't like vegetables. My son has given up anything with added sugar - which means he is bound to fail. He could have made it easier for himself if he'd just said no cakes, biscuits, sweets or chocolate.

Anyway, this does mean I can eat up all the ice cream in the freezer and feel like I'm doing them both a good turn!

#6 Misti

Misti

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts
  • Member: 879

Posted 12 March 2011 - 15:29

QUOTE(porilo @ Mar 12 2011, 03:13 PM) View Post

I tend always to give up things made from flour, eggs and milk because those are the things that we are supposed to give up. Remember why we have pancake day? To use up all the "staple" ingredients before the start of Lent. I also try to take up some good practices. One of my my favourite books is by Charles Fillmore.

I have to admit, I had a moment of feeling pretty rubbish when I found myself in Co-Op on Monday, buying eggs, flour, butter and lemon juice... It does rather defeat the whole point of Lent, when we land up buying such ingredients in, just so we can have our silly studenty celebration of mess-making in the kitchen. mellow.gif

I call fake on this one. Everyone knows that any guy who was an avid SlashDot reader would never have a girlfriend!

laugh.gif Its okay. He doesn't have too low a number.

#7 BerkshireMum

BerkshireMum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • Member: 13405
  • West Berks

Posted 12 March 2011 - 17:11

QUOTE(porilo @ Mar 12 2011, 04:13 PM) View Post

Extract from "Keep a true Lent" by Charles Fillmore:

"Whether or not you follow the ecclesiastical observance of Lent, consider its metaphysical application. Turn from the simple act of giving up things to a more positive commitment to take up the practice of higher thinking.

For instance, Lent is often a discipline to give up certain foods. This is somewhat like dieting where people want to give up putting on weight. Unfortunately, if one holds onto a self-image of ?too fat?, this practice is self-defeating. Try a new approach. Don?t give up anything. Instead take up a new image of yourself. ?Think thin? and you will find yourself eating less and more wisely. And your weight will balance itself more effectively than when you tried so hard to give up things. This is just one example.

Take up the practice of speaking the positive word, ?Let something good be said!? Commit yourself to a diet of words that are positive and loving. Whether you are talking to or about people, events or ideas, let something good be said!

Lent can be a spiritual experience, not by what you give up as much as by what you take up. More than just trying to lose weight, you will be working to shift the weight of your consciousness from the negative to the positive and creative. It can be a time of great believing leading to great overcoming and great living. It can be a wonderful season of spiritual growth."

Some good sense here, porilo. smile.gif I shall try to take this on board as Lent proceeds. Thanks for posting!

(BTW, I am giving up chocolate too. Can't say I have missed it thus far, but it's very early days! biggrin.gif )

#8 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5784 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 12 March 2011 - 17:14

QUOTE(tamsin @ Mar 12 2011, 03:29 PM) View Post

I have to admit, I had a moment of feeling pretty rubbish when I found myself in Co-Op on Monday, buying eggs, flour, butter and lemon juice... It does rather defeat the whole point of Lent, when we land up buying such ingredients in, just so we can have our silly studenty celebration of mess-making in the kitchen. mellow.gif

Who says it's limited to students?! laugh.gif

#9 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 12 March 2011 - 17:22

I gave up chocolate. I lasted one whole day. Life is just too stressful at the moment.
I think porilo has a good point and I would probably do better to take up something and discipline myself to do it - so I'm now going to try a few minutes quiet meditation every day throughout Lent.

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6463 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 12 March 2011 - 18:04

OH has given up alcohol, so therefore I shall as well, otherwise a bottle of wine will last forever.

Haven't done anything about it so far, but as from now, am having only 1 square of chocolate a day (instead of 2, or, *looks over shoulder* occasionally 3). There, I've written it, so I'll have to do it now.

I agree with porilo too, so I'll try to do something like that, but am under a bit of stress atm, so I'll just have to concentrate on the tangible things at present.

#11 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts
  • Member: 43225

Posted 12 March 2011 - 18:38

One of my smart-Alec pupils said he was giving up piano practise for Lent, but I did say to him you're supposed to give up something you normally DO laugh.gif

#12 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1895 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 12 March 2011 - 20:23

now I've realised, I actually can't work without chocolate. ohmy.png

Have you tried Nakd bars - they're sugar-free! Even Willy Wonka never managed that. laugh.png

#13 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 12 March 2011 - 20:44

A story is told about an Irishman who goes in to a Dublin pub, orders three pints of Guinness and sits in a corner of the room, taking a sip out of each glass in turn. When all three pint glasses are empty, he returns to the bar and orders three more. The bartender advises him: "You know, a pint goes flat after it's poured. It would taste better if you bought one at a time."

The Irishman replies: "Well, you see, I have two brothers, one in America, the other in Australia and I'm here in Dublin. When we all left home we promised to always drink this way, to remember the days when we drank together, so the other two pints are for my brothers."

The bartender admits that it's a very touching custom and leaves it at that. Over the next few weeks the Irishman becomes a regular at the pub, always drinking the same way: ordering three pints of Guinness at a time and drinking them in turn.

One day he comes in, orders only two pints and drinks them in his usual way. The other regulars notice this and fall silent. When he returns to the bar for the second round, the bartender says: "I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences and those of our regulars on the sad loss of one of your brothers."

The Irishman looks confused for a moment, before the light dawns and he laughs. "Oh, no", he says, everyone's fine, but I've given up drinking alcohol for Lent!" laugh.gif

#14 katica

katica

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts
  • Member: 87755
  • Central America / Hants & Glos.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 20:53

I gave up thinking about what to give up! ph34r.gif

#15 BerkshireMum

BerkshireMum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • Member: 13405
  • West Berks

Posted 13 March 2011 - 00:08

QUOTE(miffy @ Mar 12 2011, 07:38 PM) View Post

One of my smart-Alec pupils said he was giving up piano practise for Lent, but I did say to him you're supposed to give up something you normally DO laugh.gif

rofl.gif That's the sort of riposte I always think of 5 minutes too late!