Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6100 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 03 January 2019 - 14:24

Have virtual hug @hedgehog

This is a difficult time of year for many people. The enforced and often very artificial bonhomie combined with all the societal pressures make it very hard on those who don't 'fit' that picture.

Anyone who has some challenges, difficulties, lives alone etc is made to feel ten times worse than they deserve to because of it. The issue is if you even dare to mention that it can be a difficult time of year for some, you get lynched by those who think you're 'the grinch', 'Ebenezer' etc. I've been called all of those, and worse, by some people who go nuts over Christmas etc.

I got through it when I was younger and when my nephews were children. I find it harder now.  

#19562 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7470 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 January 2019 - 13:32

This is an aaagggghh before  it actually happens. we have been warned that our electricity will be cut from 09h00 to 14h30 tomorrow for necessary repairs to the local grid.. We are an electricity only household - no gas here. I shall be getting up early to get the house as warm as possible before 09h00, make hot water bottles for my partner and put soup and coffee in flasks.

#19563 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19814 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:03

This is an aaagggghh before  it actually happens. we have been warned that our electricity will be cut from 09h00 to 14h30 tomorrow for necessary repairs to the local grid.. We are an electricity only household - no gas here. I shall be getting up early to get the house as warm as possible before 09h00, make hot water bottles for my partner and put soup and coffee in flasks.

Ah, sympathies, Aquarelle. We had a couple of those in the summer holidays, only one of them notified.
Best of luck tomorrow - hope it’s not too tiresome, and the weather is mild.

#19564 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7470 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:19

Thank you Maggie. The forecast is +4 at 09h00 rising to +10 by mid day. I'm off to bed now but we are well prepared for tomorrow morning. I've even got the dog's coat out! Fingers crossed that the electricians don't take any longer than they estimate!

#19565 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17414 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 15:29

Just been to a local park for a half hour walk. Got back in car and the car was pervaded by a sickly smell of (to be polite) canine ordure !  . I had put my foot in some. Since I was only walking on main paths,  someone had not 'picked up'.  Grrrrrrrrrr.   Took a while to clean shoes and car carpet when I got back. ninja.gif

#19566 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14607 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 14 January 2019 - 22:42

Forgive my cynicism, but it is seeming that more and more people are unkind, unpleasant, self-seeking, arrogant, uncaring than there ever used to be.

Feeling very sad.  

#19567 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4465 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:11

thereThere.gif Can you avoid dealing with at least some of them Cyrilla? I'm not sure that there's a cure for narcissism, so it might be time to say goodbye!

#19568 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1914 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 15 January 2019 - 17:09

Up at the crack of dawn to attend the latest breakfast meetup of Women in Tech Warwickshire, only to find that the event had been deleted (not cancelled*) because the committee have decided to switch to evening meetups. This was news to me, as the only communication I've had from this meetup group so far this year was an invitation to this morning's event, sent as recently as last week. Curiously, the pub had evidently not been informed either as they had set up the function room.

* I'm assuming that a cancellation would automatically trigger messages to everyone who had signed up - but I could be wrong. It's bad enough that Meetup's matching algorithm is so random, but if I can't even rely on the app to keep me informed of changes to events...

#19569 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14607 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 15 January 2019 - 23:46

Oh, I have said goodbye to them, Norway.    But they still continue in some way to exert influence...

There are definitely more narcissists and psychopaths (who are not all axe murderers by a long way) out there than we realise.

sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

#19570 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6486 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:49

Oh, I have said goodbye to them, Norway.    But they still continue in some way to exert influence...

There are definitely more narcissists and psychopaths (who are not all axe murderers by a long way) out there than we realise.

sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I wonder how much social media encourages those kinds of personalities - they definitely seem more prominent these days.

#19571 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:05

sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I wonder how much social media encourages those kinds of personalities - they definitely seem more prominent these days.

Yes. That's probably one of the results of its driving force. I'd love to do the research which looks at how much time people spend on their own pages as opposed to really *reading* other people's... I know what I think.

Anyway, Cyrilla I'll remind you as gently as I can that 'goodbye' really is that - it's: "Have a nice life as far away from me as possible". Not - "Pop in any time you want!" Unfortunately, there are way too many people who think that their problems and their personality defects are like pass the parcel and they can pass them on to someone else... You aren't the last person in the line - pass it back! smile.png Ignore them. They aren't important in the great scheme of things. If your life was measured in a metre how much space would you allocate them? A pin head? A speck of dust? You're allowing them to have to much of that metre! Give them what they deserve - ie not measurable on that scale! wink.png

#19572 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 16 January 2019 - 14:05

I was a complete idiot on friday and decided to accidentally leave my clarinet on the bus I use to get to band (but picked up my dinner for some reason)

so glad it's insured but i don't really want to claim on it.

#19573 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3728 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 16 January 2019 - 15:18

It'll probbaly end up at the bus operator's lost property office where you can go and claim it back. depending on teh setup there may be a small fee for this.

#19574 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4465 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 16 January 2019 - 15:21

Or you could offer to play The Wheels on the Bus! smile.png

#19575 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro