Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2220 posts
  • Member: 56880
  • South Cambs

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:29

QUOTE(miffy @ Mar 12 2011, 06:38 PM) View Post

One of my smart-Alec pupils said he was giving up piano practise for Lent, but I did say to him you're supposed to give up something you normally DO laugh.gif

I wanted to give up school... unfortunately I'd be arrested. huh.gif

I have not 'given up' anything as such, but have decided to try to be healthy and procrastinate less about getting work done. Although one of my friends suggested 'Learn the trumpet for Lent!'!!

#17 Tortellini

Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:51

I normally give up chocolate but I went off it when I was pregnant (over a year ago) and I still don't fancy it. huh.gif I did briefly think about giving up cappuccinos but decided I couldn't manage that at the moment - too much of my social life is at the local coffee bar...

#18 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7353 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:22

My cat has been obliged to give up prawns - at least for the first week of Lent. The fish monger's delivery didn't arrive! When I explained this to Sasha she looked at me with her beautiful green/amber feline eyes and said she had never heard of Lent and that it was, as usual, entirely my fault.

#19 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:22

She's obviously not a CATholic cat then ! laugh.gif

#20 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3148 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 13 March 2011 - 16:56

Am most tempted to give up hope....but instead am ditching the chocolate. It was either that or alcohol. I enjoy wine more but CRAVE choccy.

So far so good.

Cold-Turkey-Bag x

#21 Guest: Celeste_*

Guest: Celeste_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 13 March 2011 - 17:39

I haven't given anything up this year. Instead I'm writing a blog about being a 'down to earth' Christian... think what you will, but it's making me think a lot and appreciate things I'd perhaps been overlooking. smile.gif

#22 muzikalbadger

muzikalbadger

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • Member: 65753
  • Scotland

Posted 13 March 2011 - 17:43

QUOTE(Celeste @ Mar 13 2011, 05:39 PM) View Post

I haven't given anything up this year. Instead I'm writing a blog about being a 'down to earth' Christian... think what you will, but it's making me think a lot and appreciate things I'd perhaps been overlooking. smile.gif

I think that sounds like a very worthwhile and thought provoking idea... I hope you get a lot out of writing it. smile.gif

#23 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1875 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 13 March 2011 - 18:03

QUOTE(muzikalbadger @ Mar 13 2011, 05:43 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Celeste @ Mar 13 2011, 05:39 PM) View Post

I think that sounds like a very worthwhile and thought provoking idea... I hope you get a lot out of writing it. smile.gif

Reminds me of a something I read in the Sindie last summer about how an Anglo-Pakistani family were keeping Ramadan: here

#24 Tortellini

Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 13 March 2011 - 20:31

QUOTE(Celeste @ Mar 13 2011, 06:39 PM) View Post

Is it a private blog or can we read it?

#25 Guest: Celeste_*

• Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 21:04

QUOTE(Tortellini @ Mar 13 2011, 08:31 PM) View Post
Here you go! smile.gif

#26 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14511 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 13 March 2011 - 23:18

QUOTE(Bagpuss @ Mar 13 2011, 04:56 PM) View Post

Cold-Turkey-Bag x

But I thought you were vegetarian!!!

ohmy.gif

wink.gif

#27 freda_bloogs

freda_bloogs

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1594 posts
  • Member: 1848
  • Paris, France.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 23:24

QUOTE(Celeste @ Mar 13 2011, 09:04 PM) View Post

Here you go! smile.gif

Wow! That's quite a read. And good on you for posting it on here. Generally whenever religion gets brought up on this board the thread gets closed! laugh.gif You're completely the other side of the spectrum to my beliefs but I absolutely appreciate your articulateness.

#28 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:55

I'm giving up giving up.

Giving up is for quitters.

#29 Misti

Misti

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts
  • Member: 879

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:56

laugh.gif

The topic of religion is fairly safe, so long as no-one starts being too vehement on the actual thread itself. I'd appreciate this one staying open. Its interesting to hear how other people approach Lent, whether they take it very seriously, or have a lighter approach, or just consider it a good excuse for a diet!!

I've stopped craving chocolate for now, but eaten so many clementines, bananas, apples etc over the last few days (chocolate and cakey substitutes) that I've eaten 10 days supply in 3 days. I can see this getting expensive. Guess this does mean I'm still comfort eating though, which I was really out to reduce... May need to reconsider my procrastination methods. And why reports induce hunger! blush.gif

On the plus side, work is still getting done, despite a day of serious procrastination, so maybe there is hope for this project after all.

#30 Guest: Celeste_*

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:40

QUOTE(freda_bloogs @ Mar 13 2011, 11:24 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Celeste @ Mar 13 2011, 09:04 PM) View Post
Here you go! smile.gif
Wow! That's quite a read. And good on you for posting it on here. Generally whenever religion gets brought up on this board the thread gets closed! laugh.gif You're completely the other side of the spectrum to my beliefs but I absolutely appreciate your articulateness.
Thanks... smile.gif

But PLEASE don't anyone start arguing about it on here - enough interesting threads get closed as it is! If you really want to have a go at me, send me a PM. wink.gif