#436 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:24

Oh yes F#m! That's him and resistance is  most definitely futile! Actually I haven't seen him today.

#437 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 14:15

BGP has now managed to infiltrate the kitchen. I knew this would happen when the weather turned warmer as the door is open more often. I found him waiting for his second breakfast on the surface where I feed my own cats. Then he had the nerve to try to spray the cat flap so he got put back outside rather quickly! Big Grey Puss and Little Grey Dog have come to an arrangement. I think I am fast losing.

#438 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 17:46

Big Grey Puss now has a name. Simply "Grey Puss." Not only that, he now knows it's his name and last night he slept in the kitchen. I am aiming to get him to the vet either this week or next in the rather vain hope that he is micro-chipped and has an owner somewhere.

#439 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 27 January 2019 - 19:28

Bonne nouvelles (I think). D'autrefois, Bonne Chance laugh.png.   Is he Chat Gris en francais?

#440 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 14:14

Yes, I suppose he is!

#441 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 14:21

What does he answer to? (or hasn't it reached that stage yet?)

My very good friend in SW Turkey has about 15 cats at any one time. Only the most elderly ( or persistent) are allowed indoors. The others are semi-feral. But they all have names, and individual feeding bowls, with liver every morning.

#442 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 15:09

Well, he answers to "Grey Puss" but I rather suspect that is simply because when he hears that there is, more often than not,  a feeding bowl attached. He probably thinks it means "dinner."  Yes, I have seen  TV programmes about  street cats in Turkey and in Greece. Your friend is obviously doing a sterling job. I  am only glad I don't live in either of those countries as I know those felines would suss me out  and i'd be opening tins or cooking fish - or liver -  all day!

#443 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 28 January 2019 - 20:32

HelenVJ, I hope those cats are not eating only liver.  It contains far too much vitamin A and so can be poisonous.

#444 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 00:10

No not only liver - plenty of other stuff, often from the local fish merchants, as well as keeping the local mouse population down. And most of them survive for at least 10 years, so they should be OK! The speeding cars are the biggest danger.

#445 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 31 January 2019 - 13:24

The speeding cars are the biggest danger.

True everywhere and the reason we no longer have cats.

#446 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 16:12

Our biggest worry is not cars but hunters who can "mistake" a cat for a rabbit.

Grey Puss has, I think, won the battle. On coming down in the morning I have twice found found him curled up with "Brynner" who seems to have decided he has a new "brother." Also my sister mailed from Australia to instruct me that I was not to abandon him.  So the next problem will be to find a morning when I can get him into a cat basket and to the vet for checking over and castrating. For various logistical reasons that is not going to be easy.

#447 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:39

Well now, Grey Puss 's appearances have been getting rarer over the last few days - just, of course as I had been to the vet to  ask if it would be possible to take him in for checking and neutering without an appointment -  that is when i could catch him on a day convenient for me to take him along.  I suspect that he has gone off on a spring time romantic mission and that I am not going to be in time to prevent someone being landed with a lot of Little Grey Kittens.

#448 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 20:05

Update; Grey Püss arrived late last night with a swollen leg and looking rather unwell.  I got him to the vet this morning but he had a temperature so couldn't have his neutering op. Instead he has got antibiotics and I have to take him back next week. He isn't micro-chipped. So that's it.  I held out as long as I could  but once you get to spending money at the vet's they are definitely yours. I  lost the various battles   and now I have lost the war. The treaty is signed  - he shared the end of my bed with the dog last night.

#449 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14517 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 13 February 2019 - 23:09

Awww I hope BGP responds well to the antibiotics and that you can get him neutered soon.

Your post did make me laugh - I've seen this happen all too often.   Once a cat decides it's going to adopt you, there's not a lot a mere human can do about it.

My 90 year-old dad has a feisty tabby called Tiger Tim.   Tiger appeared a few years ago in Pa's garden...then before long he was having breakfast...then bed and breakfast...then half-board...and then full-board...all very carefully and beautifully planned and manipulated...  Pa just capitulated, knowing it was no use resisting.

Sigh!

:wub:

#450 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 14 February 2019 - 13:39

Yes, cats have spent thousands of years domesticating humans!