#16 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 09 December 2018 - 19:47

Yes it's a full size. Kind of like in your photo, but think jeans and a dodgy bow hold. And less 4th position and more recovery position! smile.png

Sorry read that as dodgy bow tie. thought I must come and watch you play laugh.png

#17 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6012 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:53

Have just volunteered to play the piano at a hospital so will be "that person" subjecting the surroundings to Christmas-ish music. But hopefully not too annoyingly as I've found some piano arrangements of less well-known Christmas things, and also a nice arrangement of the Corelli Christmas Concerto (it's Baroque, that's not REALLY Christmas, isn't it?)

#18 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:29

Thanks to everyone for your great stories! I'm trying to avoid thinking about Brexit Jim headdesk.gif but will definitely be having a cello New Year! Have just got the grade 5, and am now buying the Eulenburg scores of all my favourite pieces for orchestral playing with CDs in 2019 - yippee! wub.png Just in the lounge with noone to hear. Using the Berlin Phil as a backing so at least that bit will be in tune! 

Many congratulations!!!! Enjoy!!!

#19 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:12

Have just volunteered to play the piano at a hospital so will be "that person" subjecting the surroundings to Christmas-ish music. But hopefully not too annoyingly as I've found some piano arrangements of less well-known Christmas things, and also a nice arrangement of the Corelli Christmas Concerto (it's Baroque, that's not REALLY Christmas, isn't it?)

Just noticed this! Live is wonderful! smile.png

#20 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4443 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:58

Good luck with the hospital programme Corenfa. Are you going to "hospital" it up? I played for a sheep farmers' Christmas party last week - couldn't resist putting in Sheep May Safely Graze and The Lonely Goatherd. Let us know what ward and maybe we could make some suggestions? smile.png

#21 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6012 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:27

Haha it's not a hospital in the UK - just did my first session today. It was the best sort of performance, I just sat in the lobby and played while people walked by.

Can't think of any hospital specific Christmas music myself but always happy for suggestions!

I got a lot of stuff from this website- https://defordmusic....and-by-voicing/ - the stuff in the solo piano section is nice. All of it is free to download and print.

#22 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 13:16

corenfa - It sounds really charming! I'm sure they loved it and you sound as if you had a good time too.

There's this as well if it's any use...

http://www.free-scor...sheet-music.php

I haven't thought of anything 'hospital specific' - I'd ask my husband but he has a sense of humour even worse than mine!

#23 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17314 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 10 December 2018 - 14:37

Good luck with the hospital programme Corenfa. Are you going to "hospital" it up? I played for a sheep farmers' Christmas party last week - couldn't resist putting in Sheep May Safely Graze and The Lonely Goatherd. Let us know what ward and maybe we could make some suggestions? smile.png

I once played 'Sheep May safely Graze' for a funeral , not knowing till after it was a butcher in the coffin

#24 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 14:57

@fsharpminor - laugh.png

My husband suggested Unto us a child is born for the maternity ward...

#25 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4443 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:11

Love your funeral repertoire F# minor! Our old bandmaster actually requested (and got) Blaze Away for his own cremation. crying.gif 

#26 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:14

Can't think of any hospital related christmas songs but my choir once did a short concert to precede a talk on looking after yourself in later life. We opened with Keep Young and Beautiful, and closed with Take good care of yourself.

Just had my adult singing group Christmas party, among other things we sang In the bleak midwinter to the tune of Puff the magic dragon. Awesome laugh.png

#27 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4443 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:33

laugh.png I'm just imagining that the other way round!

That was a good repertoire suggestion from Zixi's husband for the maternity ward. Reminds me of a car sticker I saw once. "Midwives help people out".

#28 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6444 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 11 December 2018 - 19:39

That was a good repertoire suggestion from Zixi's husband for the maternity ward. Reminds me of a car sticker I saw once. "Midwives help people out".

Ow! ohmy.png blink.png

#29 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 17:09

You should have heard the ones I censored... before he understood it had to be Christmas music... We like the car sticker. We also loved Aquarelle's nativity play stories... particularly the 'guiding star'!

#30 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14515 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 12 December 2018 - 22:46

Reminds me of the great Sir Ken Robinson :wub: and his story to illustrate how young children, if they don't know something, will just have a go.

He was watching his son, when four, be Joseph in his school nativity play.   The three kings somehow got in a muddle and came on in the wrong order.

'I bring you gold', said the first king.

'I bring you myrrh' said the next boy.

The third child (who should have been the second) came on and said, 'Frank sent this'.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png