#16 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 10 January 2019 - 13:48

We have a thread for proposed musical challenges - how about one for non-musical challenges?

I would like to do a tandem skydive. eek.gif I suspect the first part is going to be the most problematic - getting my GP to agree and sign the form!

sounds dangerous jumping out of a plane with a bicycle  rofl.gif

#17 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 13:50

Learning to say "no" to things I don't want to do, without feeling guilty, so I have time to do things that are better for me. [This sounds selfish, but I would like just a bit of me time.]

that should be one of mine

#18 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 10 January 2019 - 16:05

I'm going to sort out our house. You can take the Bohemian look just that little bit too far... I did about a third of our bedroom today and now I'm exhausted but it looks fab, or at least it will once I've bought a couple of rugs to cover the threadbare carpet. It was threadbare when we moved in sixteen years ago and has somehow not magically regrown in that time! But moving the furniture for a new one is too much effort.

#19 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 January 2019 - 17:29

It was threadbare when we moved in sixteen years ago and has somehow not magically regrown in that time! 

Perhaps you didn't water it enough?! biggrin.png

#20 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 10 January 2019 - 19:54

I'm going to sort out our house. You can take the Bohemian look just that little bit too far... I did about a third of our bedroom today and now I'm exhausted but it looks fab, or at least it will once I've bought a couple of rugs to cover the threadbare carpet. It was threadbare when we moved in sixteen years ago and has somehow not magically regrown in that time! But moving the furniture for a new one is too much effort.

Just announce confidently that your style is shabby chic.

Or that you have a Statement Carpet.

Or declare that shagpile is so bourgeois. On a par with using matching cups and saucers.

#21 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 23:49

Just announce confidently that your style is shabby chic.

Or that you have a Statement Carpet.

Or declare that shagpile is so bourgeois. On a par with using matching cups and saucers.

or that your carpet is "vintage"

#22 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:36

Well it's certainly al of those things, except perhaps 'shabby chic'. Just shabby would be more accurate.

I'm liking 'statement carpet' a lot.

#23 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6609 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:45

We definitely have a 'statement carpet'.  It's Very Pink, which is suitable in some circumstances, but not what I'd choose for my living room carpet.  When we moved here - nearly 13 years ago - the house move took up all our money, so decoration was something that could wait.  Everything was servicable, if not entirely to our taste, so nothing to really complain about.

We've done bits and bobs of changing things and re-painting and so on...but we've also gathered more furniture, particularly several now very full bookcases.  I don't think we can be bothered with the emptying/moving of all of them in order to get new carpet fitted...and the pink has faded quite a lot!!

(I've light-heartedly suggested carpeting up to the bookcases but Mr Maizie did not find any humour in that.  So he can move the darn bookcases then :P)

#24 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 13:39

chocolate and crisps are unnecessary?!? ohmy.png

lol They are for me. I'm about 2 stone overweight which is mostly due in part to the amount of chocolate and (share bag size) crisps I eat. Most of my money goes on food.

Hi Rachl123,

An idea for you: A work colleague of mine gave up chocolate and crisps for 350 days last year. She put £1 in a (presumably virtual) jar for each day of eating neither. Nice bonus payment for Christmas.  

#25 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6444 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 11 January 2019 - 18:11

Learning to say "no" to things I don't want to do, without feeling guilty, so I have time to do things that are better for me. [This sounds selfish, but I would like just a bit of me time.]

Well this week I managed to avoid 2 evenings out that, in all honesty, I would have only gone to because I thought I should, or because other people thought I should. I feel significantly more sane, have more energy, and will now start the spring cleaning (ie chucking out) to create a "calm and ordered" environment (that's the aim ... a long way away I think). biggrin.png

PS Rather fancy a combine harvester, or even a John Deere tractor - both would make parking at school so much easier - all the Chelsea Tractors would have to give way to me rofl.gif

#26 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:38

Keep it up Hedghog. I am struggling along on much the same lines. "Me" time is very important and is not selfish. I keep telling myself that if I don't feed myself I'll never have the energy to feed others!

#27 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 14 January 2019 - 19:41

Well it's certainly al of those things, except perhaps 'shabby chic'. Just shabby would be more accurate.

I'm liking 'statement carpet' a lot.

Our sitting and dining room carpets are making very clear statements about the moths that have been chewing chunks out of them for the past couple of years. This despite Mr Witzend endlessly ordering various 'Die, you little b*gg*rs!' remedies from Amazon, ever since we first realised we'd been invaded.
Do I care?
Not a lot. Such a palaver to replace, never mind the expense.

#28 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Member: 898095
  • Yorkshire

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:48

ALL my challenges this year will have to be non-musical because my poor sore hands aren't up to playing my recorder. Because I love Lieder and want to understand the words, I've been teaching myself German from scratch instead. I've discovered it is TOTALLY addictive. There are so many good resources for teaching yourself that it is nothing like the tedious school lessons in French and Spanish I remember. I'm already listening to very easy audio books. And of course listening to lots of Lieder so I'll probably end up talking like Goethe!

Jacqui

In case you're wondering, I got started using the Language Transfer course on YouTube, which is absolutely brilliant (and available for quite a few languages besides German).

#29 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 20 January 2019 - 18:44

ALL my challenges this year will have to be non-musical because my poor sore hands aren't up to playing my recorder. Because I love Lieder and want to understand the words, I've been teaching myself German from scratch instead. I've discovered it is TOTALLY addictive. There are so many good resources for teaching yourself that it is nothing like the tedious school lessons in French and Spanish I remember. I'm already listening to very easy audio books. And of course listening to lots of Lieder so I'll probably end up talking like Goethe!

Jacqui

In case you're wondering, I got started using the Language Transfer course on YouTube, which is absolutely brilliant (and available for quite a few languages besides German).

I'm impressed at your progress with German. I started learning on my own a few years back, later adding in evening classes at the local college. I'm afraid I got bogged down with the amount of vocabulary that was thrown at me there, and gave up. Glad it's going so well for you.

Also...so sorry to hear about your sore hands. I hope it's not permanent and that you get back to playing your recorder.

#30 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Member: 898095
  • Yorkshire

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:37

Misterioso - thank you for the good wishes. I, too am daunted by the task of learning vocabulary. I look around a room and see the apparently infinite number of things I know the name of in English and I despair!!

I think teaching myself helps here because I can avoid vocabulary I'm not interested in. I am yet to hear a Lied describing being stuck at an airport!! There are so many really good free learning resources on the internet for German that I never need to use anything that doesn't suit my learning style, or that I find boring.

And I NEVER 'forget' vocabulary because I just classify all those words as ones I am 'in the process of learning'.