76 replies to this topic

#76 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 895418

Posted 03 June 2016 - 18:23

I have NOT recommended texts for EXAMINATION purposes but to supplement the sparce and unmusical text that the ABRSM has published for the study of tonal harmony.

The UK exam system is not the be all and end all and the sooner people realize this the better! The sign of a successful pedagogue is one that is cosmopolitan and in touch with international practice and parlance.The trouble with the UK now is that we are saturated by exam after exam which does NOT prove that one is a solid-all rounded musician.

The best teachers will always recognize that an exam system is NOT an alternative to a well rounded instrumental curriculum and should NEVER be used as the only system in one's teaching practice.

If that's all you can come up with in your defence to say that I have tried to rubbish a specific text...... I have given justified reasons as to why the text should now be removed from circulation until a revamp has taken place as the text is a joke when compared with texts by renowned authors such as Kostka/Payne, Laitz, Roig Francoli, Turek, Clendinnning/Marvin and Aldwell/Schachter/Cadwallader.

The Butterworth text was written for the ABRSM entrant and NOT the UK exam system so get your facts right Mr Dutchman!!!! There are other exam boards that are accredited alongside the ABRSM and these alternative exam boards provide their own resources.

Guess what Mr Dutchman, what's really wrong is the UK exam board demanding that candidates write 1c V as a method of describing a CAD 6/4.  That is so bad and NOT in line with international practice-check the Instructor Manuals by these international authors of renown and you will see their words clearly stating this. I now suggest that if you don't possess these texts and ancillary resources, check them out and try to obtain the correlating workbooks, listening resources and instructor manuals as well as OLC's.  Only then will you see how sparce and unmusical the Butterworth text is.

#77 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 03 June 2016 - 22:33

This thread will now be locked following our earlier warning about appropriate tone.

Ed