#61 ExpressYourself

ExpressYourself

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Member: 113829

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:48

Posters' names light blue on light grey. Ri-i-i-i-ight. I've obviously just got the wrong eyes. Either that or you hired someone with little understading of colour contrast. I've seen worse: anyone ever grappled with Adobe Premier Elements? Tiny print, lightish grey on slightly darker grey. Far too many designers assume that if they can see it almost everyone can.

There is indeed - there's a Go To First Unread Post option next to the green Reply To This Topic button at the top right-hand corner of each topic. 

It was better when the reply button was on the post you wanted to reply to instead of miles above it. Then you automatically got the quote from that post. So thumbs down for that bit

Unfortunately we have no control over the reply options - those are built into the system. The Quote button that appears in the bottom right-hand corner of each message is the means of responding to (and quoting) an individual post. 

We've adjusted the grey text (and the blue shade used in links) this morning to improve the contrast with the background - this should help.

Ed 

"Unfortunately we have no control over the reply options - those are built into the system."

You're joking, please tell me you're joking.

(I can't be bothered working out how to extract one little bit out of the previous lot)

Then you've chosen a bad system. That aspect of the navigation is AWFUL. It worked before. I forgot to click quote before dragging my weary bones to the top of the page, so of course I got a blank screen with no immediate sight of access to the post I wanted to quote

And no, sorry, the grey on grey doesn't help, because it's the background that's too dark. Good designers should not need to be told these things! :argh:

It's ok Linda,

If you click quote (as you would have clicked reply on the old system) it jumps you straight to the reply box at the bottom of the page to type your response.  It's no different really.  The only difference is if you want to do multiple quotes then you have to click MultiQuote which I guess won't jump you (will try in a minute)

But if you want to reply without quoting then you will see there's a reply box under the final post that you can type straight into.

Edit - just checked and yes - multiquote doesn't jump you

I like it!

#62 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22935 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:53

Testing on android I' m finding it awkward to have to go back to the start of the page in order to return to the post list. Or have I just not seen the right button yet?

#63 ExpressYourself

ExpressYourself

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Member: 113829

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:00

I find it very frustrating to have to scroll through the forum rules and out-dated pinned topics to get to the first new topic.

Could the forum rules be kept somewhere else and the old pins removed.

Thanks

#64 Guest: Very Sane Tom_*

Guest: Very Sane Tom_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:13

I am disappointed. I had hoped for more. The desktop version is okay. The functionality is hardly improved but it looks less amateurish. However, the mobile version on my Android phone is much more difficult to use. For starters I can no longer zoom in to the display to make the buttons and tick boxes a sensible size.

#65 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2715 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:15

That was weird. I logged in and all the colours changed.

I don't like all the white - it's making my eyes hurt after two minutes. And the light grey/blue thing is difficult. I hate change anyway. I don't want to 'like' things. It feels a bit childish. It's all a bit untidy, like most trendy forums are these days. I daresay I'll work out where things are if I can be bothered. I want to like it, I really do, but I can't see any improvements, just change, and too many clashing colours at the top!

#66 Car Expert

Car Expert

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31597 posts
  • Member: 3680
  • UK - rural North Norfolk\East Anglia. Lincoln 104 miles. Ipswich 66 miles. Oxford 193 miles. Lewes 199 miles.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:19

Found a bug with the new software.

I've just tried to post an image, and when I try to post or preview the message, it's coming up with an error message saying, "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to". Seeing as I only tried to post one image, that seems a bit odd...

Car Expert

#67 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:24

It's ok Linda,

If you click quote (as you would have clicked reply on the old system) it jumps you straight to the reply box at the bottom of the page to type your response.  It's no different really.  The only difference is if you want to do multiple quotes then you have to click MultiQuote which I guess won't jump you (will try in a minute)

But if you want to reply without quoting then you will see there's a reply box under the final post that you can type straight into.

I like it!

Glad someone does

How do I interleave my replies like we used to on the old system? I used to be able to pick up the "/quote" and the username and put them either side of my comment to point no.1, and again for point no.2. I can't find any way to do that now. Maybe my method wasn't kosher, but it was the only way I knew

And snipping is really difficult - I've been left with an attribution to ExpressYourself which is not correct.

I tried writing directly into the post, assuming it woudn't let me - see result above

#68 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6217 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:25

Found a bug with the new software.

I've just tried to post an image, and when I try to post or preview the message, it's coming up with an error message saying, "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to". Seeing as I only tried to post one image, that seems a bit odd...

Car Expert

I had that the very first time I tried to post this morning and I wasn't posting any images as far as I could tell. It's been OK since though.

#69 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6217 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:27

It's ok Linda,

I like it!
Glad someone does

How do I interleave my replies like we used to on the old system? I used to be able to pick up the "/quote" and the username and put them either side of my comment to point no.1, and again for point no.2. I can't find any way to do that now. Maybe my method wasn't kosher, but it was the only way I knew

I've just found it. When you click the Quote button you get a box with the original message in and a menu bar above it. At the top left is a "switch" symbol. Click that and it turns on the "non-printing" characters - such as quote.

#70 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:43

I've just found it. When you click the Quote button you get a box with the original message in and a menu bar above it.

I didn't need to break the message here, but...

At the top left is a "switch" symbol. Click that and it turns on the "non-printing" characters - such as quote.

... I wanted to see it work.
Is there a user manual I shoud have read?
Thank you, Arundodonuts (or may I call you Donuts?) :lol: And I see the smileys are in the old order we got to know and love. Getting there bit by bit. :) (Hmm, had to scroll sideways twice to find this unusual little one hidden away :)

#71 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22935 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:47

I just chose " mark all as read" while in the woodwind forum and it marked the whole forum as read

#72 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22935 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:47

I just chose " mark all as read" while in the woodwind forum and it marked the whole forum as read

#73 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22935 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:48

Oops. How do you edit posts on mobile?

#74 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19867 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:49

I seem to have lost my edit facility altogether. It was there earlier, because I used it. I'm on the same machine.

#75 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:53

I've just found it. When you click the Quote button you get a box with the original message in and a menu bar above it.

I didn't need to break the message here, but...

At the top left is a "switch" symbol. Click that and it turns on the "non-printing" characters - such as quote.

... I wanted to see it work.
Is there a user manual I shoud have read?
Thank you, Arundodonuts (or may I call you Donuts?) :lol: And I see the smileys are in the old order we got to know and love. Getting there bit by bit. :) (Hmm, had to scroll sideways twice to find this unusual little one hidden away :)

I just spent a few minutes tidying up the emoticons - hopefully they'll appear in a more logical order now!

I seem to have lost my edit facility altogether. It was there earlier, because I used it. I'm on the same machine.

You should have this back - do let me know if not!