#1 RachelC1234

RachelC1234

ABRSM

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 899121

Posted 16 July 2018 - 15:06

We want your help to facilitate ABRSM’s biggest online adult learning survey for music.

We’re on a mission to find out how adults taking part in music education in the UK and Ireland can be better supported. There are two surveys to complete:

There is an optional prize draw at the end of both surveys, where you can win one of 10 £50 Amazon vouchers. Please send to your networks and to any teachers and learners who might be interested. The surveys will close on the 10 September.

Your answers will help us to understand what’s working well and where learners require more support from the sector.

If you require any more information about this survey, please do get in touch by emailing [email protected]

Best wishes,

Rachel Cook from ABRSM

Edited by RachelC1234, 17 July 2018 - 08:55 .

#2 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 16 July 2018 - 21:35

Are you an ABRSM representative?

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 16 July 2018 - 22:02

Surely an AB rep would know not to cross post... :)

#4 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 22:04

How should we get in touch when phone answering times are in the hours, rather than the seconds one would expect from a global organisation?

#5 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:58

Looked perfectly legit to me. I find a lot of business surveys (periodically have to do some for work) are hosted by third party survey sites.

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:29

Well, yes, I'm sure it's legit (hard to spoof the email contact, and why would you?) but there is no mention of the survey anywhere other than this forum. Nothing on the AB website, no non-forum hits from an internet search. That lack of visbility doesn't really say "biggest survey." It kind of says cheap research (ie. not even updating our website with an article about it) to find out what products AB can sell aimed at adult learners and their teachers.

It is hard to believe the survey is about "supporting" adult learners when there seems to be a lack of support to the bread and butter customers - see the numerous posts here and on social media about delays in getting exam results; appalling waits to get through on the phone; the archaic exam booking system; changes to exam times and venues that don't reach candidates and so on and on. What about sorting those things out first? Maybe it isn't a huge problem, but the impression one gets is that there has been a definite decline in service. A survey on that might be much more fruitful in terms of retaining customers...

And because I "am" that nit-picking, the survey front page doesn't appear to have been proof-read. Not encouraging. Still, I love a survey, so will probably fill it in...

#7 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10715 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 17 July 2018 - 13:59

I found it via a Facebook group yesterday, and completed it before I looked on here. So it is 'out there' - it may just take some time to spread.

#8 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 17 July 2018 - 14:19

Surely an AB rep would know not to cross post... :)
I quite frequently notice one-post wonders - someone joins the forum, wants information or ideas and that's it. Never see them again or get a thank you. Let's see.
And if someone wants free information from me for business purposes, they could be courteous enough to answer a simple question.

#9 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 17:01

I found it via a Facebook group yesterday, and completed it before I looked on here. So it is 'out there' - it may just take some time to spread.

Hmmm? Just traweled FB and couldn't find anything (not even on the AB page). Guess I'm not in the right groups. :)

#10 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 17 July 2018 - 17:09

It is a discussion on Teachers Voices at the moment.

#11 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 17:30

It is a discussion on Teachers Voices at the moment.

Thank you.

#12 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10715 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 17 July 2018 - 17:35

I found it in UK Amateur Orchestras.

#13 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6037 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 18 July 2018 - 19:55

I had a look at the 'survey'. It's very amateurish in the way it's written with presentation being ahead of content design. Falls into the classic marketing trap of only asking the questions it wants the answers to. Feels like it's written by someone for their MBA or their degree in marketing.

#14 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19756 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 18 July 2018 - 20:07

I had a look at the 'survey'. It's very amateurish in the way it's written with presentation being ahead of content design. Falls into the classic marketing trap of only asking the questions it wants the answers to. Feels like it's written by someone for their MBA or their degree in marketing.

That would be in keeping with the whole feel of ‘Teacher Voices’ then.

And here is an example that fell into my mailbox this afternoon ...

‘There is now an additional discussion forum available about taking part in ABRSM survey's ‘

#15 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 18 July 2018 - 21:28

That would be in keeping with the whole feel of ‘Teacher Voices’ then.

And here is an example that fell into my mailbox this afternoon ...

‘There is now an additional discussion forum available about taking part in ABRSM survey's ‘

Oh dear! Yes, I've found Teacher Voices a bit of a let-down really.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adult learning, mature student, older learner, research