Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:46

Maybe a little bit early for this, but the forum has gone quiet for a couple of days so I thought I'd start a new thread :)

it occurs to me that November will actually be here quite soon. This year seems to be flying by so far. 

I'm more or less decided on getting grade 5 under my belt on my sax this time, especially now I've found a C piece that I definitely like. Anyone else got their eye on an exam for November/December?

#2 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4384 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:54

Grade 5 cello - working on it!

Welcome to the forum! welcome.gif

What are you playing for your grade 5 sax?

#3 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:31

Not early at all - for me anyway! I like to take my time to really polish up my pieces. I'll enter to do Grade 5 singing. The pieces are really getting there but my sight-singing is just atrocious. unsure.png crying.gif

#4 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4384 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:16

welcome.gif hennylemon. What are you singing? Do you have a good book to work on your sight singing with?

#5 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:34

Maybe next year... planning Grade 7 piano (LCM Leisure Play). I have bought the book, deadline summer 2020 but winter 2019 is a possible if I think I'll be ready.

#6 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:37

Here's a useful string scales website!

https://www.scalesace.com

#7 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:41

welcome.gif hennylemon. What are you singing? Do you have a good book to work on your sight singing with?

Thanks! I'll be singing a Baroque song called Star Vicino (anon) as my A piece, Cloths of Heaven (Dunhill) as my B piece, and A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square as my C piece. 

I do sight-singing as part of my lessons with my teacher, who uses the Joining the Dots series. A big part of the reason for why I struggle with sight-singing is because I didn't practice is at home until recently. I now have a book called 'Sight-singing made simple' by Baugess, which introduces solfege. I get it in theory but find it very hard in practice. The problem is that I'm kind of okay ish when there's no accompaniment, but once I have to sight-sing even a simple melody (even let's say grade 3 level sight-reading exercise) with an accompaniment, I get distracted and lose it. When I get a starting note with no accompaniment, I get it somewhat right. The tricky thing is I really don't know how to practice this at home on my own because my piano skills are not good enough to accompany myself. Any suggestions? 

#8 gemmasue

gemmasue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 14 August 2018 - 13:06

Was hoping to do my grade 8 flute in autumn, but don’t think I’ll be ready in time somehow. Fingers crossed I’ll be ready by spring! x

#9 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4384 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 14:35

Thanks for that Jim - I'm checking out my fingering as I have a few questions about it - that will be going straight into operation! smile.png

#10 SwissPianoGirl

SwissPianoGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 893205

Posted 14 August 2018 - 16:43

I am doing my grade 8 piano in November.  I gave myself 18 months between grades 7 & 8, and I feel pretty confident I will be ready. The scales and pieces are fine, but the sight reading and aural at grade 8 are a real challenge!

#11 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 14 August 2018 - 18:03

I'm planning to do G8 flute (Trinity) in November. After a few confidence wobbles, I'm sure my pieces and scales will be fine, but my sight reading and aural definitely need some work. There's still plenty of time to work on them, though, and I have a plan, so it'll all come good, hopefully.

Was hoping to do my grade 8 flute in autumn, but don’t think I’ll be ready in time somehow. Fingers crossed I’ll be ready by spring! x

What pieces are you doing?

#12 gemmasue

gemmasue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 14 August 2018 - 19:49

Helenflute, I’m doing Mozart allegro aperto, Albeníz Sevilla and Kohler study (I think it’s study in d minor?). The study is pretty much there, just need to work on dynamics, making sure the high notes come out nicely and ironing out a few bad habits I have with finger positioning. The other pieces are getting there very slowly!

My scales are also getting there. I’m finding the new scale requirements much more manageable. Have learnt the major scales and chromatics (though I have tendency of forgetting to stop at the right nite at times and just keep playing!!). All the others are not there really, completely unmotivated! Aural is a bit of an issue, but luckily I’m not too bad at sight reading.

It will all be fine in the end...I hope!

#13 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:28

Welcome to the forum! welcome.gif

What are you playing for your grade 5 sax?

Cheers smile.png 

I'll be playing Celine Mandarine for my A piece

The B piece is still a toss-up between The Pink Panther or Tango Til You Drop - I know them both pretty well. I think The Pink Panther is more fun, but the Tango is probably a safer bet exam-wise

The C piece is a study by James Rae called One O'Clock Shuffle. Struggled to find a C piece in the book of exam pieces that I liked enough, but this is quite fun to play. 

How's your cello prep going? What are you playing for that? 

#14 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:33

Maybe next year... planning Grade 7 piano (LCM Leisure Play). I have bought the book, deadline summer 2020 but winter 2019 is a possible if I think I'll be ready.

I hadn't heard about 'Leisure Play' until now. Just did a bit of googling - looks like an interesting alternative! What made you choose that? 

#15 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10693 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:30

I will be taking Grade 8 piano (ABRSM) in the next session. I returned to lessons in March last year as I decided that Grade 8 was unfinished business. I took Grade 7 back in 2007, just scraped through on the back of good sight reading and aural marks, and lost confidence in my playing. I’m still not ultra-confident but I know these pieces better than I have ever known piano pieces before, so I need to give it a go..