Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#31 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6037 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:00

I might (tbc) do my G5 on tenor sax. It will involve a Bach aria, Tango till you drop and something else I can't remember!

I might be doing G7 theory.

But might be 2019A.

#32 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:18

I'm doing:

When You're Good to Mama from Chicago

Mein Herr from Cabaret

The Masochism Tango (Tom Lehrer) and 

Woman from the Pirate Queen

The libretto extract is Mama Morton's speech welcoming the women to the prison from Chicago, which leads into the song.

There is also an acting sight read and a viva (worth 20% of the mark), which covers the background to the musicals, including plot, characterisation and biographical information about the composers and librettists, plus elements such as how the programme was put together, any difficulties in preparation and how they were overcome, reflection on one's own performance, etc.

Do let us know how you get on. I'm currently choosing repertoire for G6, probably next spring. 'Mama' is on the shortlist although I'm seriously thinking of holding on to it for a later grade. Currently also on the shortlist are Don't cry for me Argentina, The Deadwood Stage, Georgia on my mind, When all night long and Roses of Picardy.

I'd love to do something by Victoria Wood, maybe from Acorn Antiques or That day we sang, but as far as I'm aware there are no plans to publish any of it for public performance in the near future.

#33 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 21 August 2018 - 17:40

helen_flute, Woman is a beautiful song from one of Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Shonberg's lesser known musicals.  The Pirate Queen was a box office flop, but like all their work has some great tunes.  Stephanie J Block from the original Broadway cast is on YouTube here singing it.

gav_1988, yes, the Masochism Tango is enormous fun to sing.  I love Tom Lehrer's sense of humour!

Saxwarbler, with LCM Music Theatre, there is no reason why you cannot do the same song more than once, after all, the chances of getting the same examiner are tiny!  I did Mama for my G7 and am doing it again because it fits in so well with my theme of 'Women Not to Be Trifled With'.

#34 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 21 August 2018 - 19:16

I might (tbc) do my G5 on tenor sax. It will involve a Bach aria, Tango till you drop and something else I can't remember!

I might be doing G7 theory.

But might be 2019A.

I'm probably doing Tango Til You Drop for my G5 Alto. It's lovely. It'll be quite hard to leave The Pink Panther though! 

#35 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6037 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 21 August 2018 - 20:46

I was going to do Pink Panther, but it's technically challenging with too much scope to go wrong in exams - those glissandi for example

#36 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 21 August 2018 - 21:22

I was going to do Pink Panther, but it's technically challenging with too much scope to go wrong in exams - those glissandi for example

Oh, definitely. That's largely the reason I'm more likely to play the tango instead. At my last lesson, my teacher said my glisses were sounding quite good, but I do find it really hard to get them sounding 'right' - it's so ambiguous as to where to gliss down to in most cases. The semiquaver triplets about halfway through the piece are the things that are giving me the most trouble though currently. I just can't get them in in time. It is a ton of fun to play though.

#37 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 21 August 2018 - 21:24

Grade 6 piano Nov/Dec, still trying to tidy up my pieces and play the first piece at a faster tempo :(

#38 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:03

Grade 6 piano Nov/Dec, still trying to tidy up my pieces and play the first piece at a faster tempo sad.png

Which pieces are you playing? I'm playing pieces from the Grade 6 book at the moment and there's some really good ones! Only like the Bartok in the C section though.

#39 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 22 August 2018 - 17:08

Saxwarbler, with LCM Music Theatre, there is no reason why you cannot do the same song more than once, after all, the chances of getting the same examiner are tiny!  I did Mama for my G7 and am doing it again because it fits in so well with my theme of 'Women Not to Be Trifled With'.

I'm not sure whether I would want to revisit it though. However much you love a piece it is possible to 'do it to the death'. I listened to Aled Jones on the radio this afternoon singing Silent Worship, which I learnt and sang (actually fairly well) for my G4 exam six years ago and also for my first ever solo performance in concert. The first time I ever heard it was Aled's recording and it was so beautiful that I just had to learn it. I still love it and have heard many versions since by singers of all abilities but I've never had an overriding urge to revisit it and certainly not for another exam. Same goes for pretty much everything I've sung in exams. I guess there's something to be said for exorcising the demons of songs that scored badly or just making the good stuff better, but it's not a path I feel like taking.
My heroine, Gracie Fields, although she had such great success with Sally, sang it so often that she had no love for it. It was her least favourite of all her songs but the one her fans wanted at every show and I think she grew heartlly sick of it in the end.

#40 saxStef

saxStef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 899007

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:44

Oh, definitely. That's largely the reason I'm more likely to play the tango instead. At my last lesson, my teacher said my glisses were sounding quite good, but I do find it really hard to get them sounding 'right' - it's so ambiguous as to where to gliss down to in most cases. The semiquaver triplets about halfway through the piece are the things that are giving me the most trouble though currently. I just can't get them in in time. It is a ton of fun to play though.

I wouldn't worry about those glissandi, if the rest of your performance sounds good.

I also didn't feel secure on the glissandi, and decided to drop them. I still got 29/30 on Pink Panther this summer.

#41 saxStef

saxStef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 899007

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:46

Planning to take Grade 5 Theory in November here: just because it's a prerequisite for going forward with my performance grade exams.

#42 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 23 August 2018 - 13:42

I'm doing:

When You're Good to Mama from Chicago

Mein Herr from Cabaret

The Masochism Tango (Tom Lehrer) and 

Woman from the Pirate Queen

The libretto extract is Mama Morton's speech welcoming the women to the prison from Chicago, which leads into the song.

There is also an acting sight read and a viva (worth 20% of the mark), which covers the background to the musicals, including plot, characterisation and biographical information about the composers and librettists, plus elements such as how the programme was put together, any difficulties in preparation and how they were overcome, reflection on one's own performance, etc.

Do let us know how you get on. I'm currently choosing repertoire for G6, probably next spring. 'Mama' is on the shortlist although I'm seriously thinking of holding on to it for a later grade. Currently also on the shortlist are Don't cry for me Argentina, The Deadwood Stage, Georgia on my mind, When all night long and Roses of Picardy.

I'd love to do something by Victoria Wood, maybe from Acorn Antiques or That day we sang, but as far as I'm aware there are no plans to publish any of it for public performance in the near future.

Yes, please do let us know how these go! These songs in particular require such character that I salute for doing them. :) 

Planning to take Grade 5 Theory in November here: just because it's a prerequisite for going forward with my performance grade exams.

How are you feeling about the theory? I've just started learning G3 stuff with the aim of being able to sit the G5 exam in the spring.

#43 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 23 August 2018 - 21:12

Hi Ellie D,

I'm playing all three pieces from the book too:

Bach - invention no 13
Merikanto - Valse Lente
Bartok - Joc cu bata no 1

I love them all !!!

#44 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 24 August 2018 - 17:31

I love all three of those too, Tezes123! I did find the Mozart Rondo easier than the Bach to learn, and if I were doing an exam I would struggle to choose between the Merikanto and the Gade Scherzo as that one is beautiful too!

#45 2ndv5man

2ndv5man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 887616

Posted 25 August 2018 - 17:51

I also hope to do grade 6 piano in the autumn. I’m not going to put any pressure on, if I’m ok then I’ll take it.

I started to learn the Bach but have changed to the Mozart as I prefer the piece. I just need to speed it up and it will be ok, I think it’s a really good piece.
Valse for the b piece which is messy at the moment but should be ok I hope.
Joc for the c piece which is a brilliant piece but difficult to pedal correctly. It’s the sort of piece I like for exams as it’s something I would not dream of playing normally and now I fancy a look at other pieces by Bartok.
I think I found a recording on YouTube of Bartok playing this piece and it’s quite surprising that it’s not in very strict time, or jumpy, which I though it should be, and it sounds great how he played it.