Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 chasing

chasing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 899170

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:37

Cramming a grade 8 piano exam this November via a late entry - don’t know what I was thinking at the time of entering (probably overly optimistic) but definitely only able to scrape a pass so far :(

#62 Danish

Danish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 899150

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:36

I'm taking a descant recorder exam I'm just not sure which grade. I feel ready for grade 1 but with 6-8 weeks to go I'm tempted to stretch myself with grade 2. Decisions, decisions, and only a few days left to decide.

#63 chasing

chasing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 899170

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:40

I'm taking a descant recorder exam I'm just not sure which grade. I feel ready for grade 1 but with 6-8 weeks to go I'm tempted to stretch myself with grade 2. Decisions, decisions, and only a few days left to decide.

Have you sent in a entry yet? If not go ahead for Grade 2 if you are more than happy to, all will come together if your willing to work towards it ????

#64 Danish

Danish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 899150

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:47

No entry yet. I was about to self-enter but started looking into an accompanist then decided my teacher really should be helping more. So I have a possible new teacher who accompanies herself but that wpuld be at a different exam centre. So everything is up in the air until I meet her next week.

#65 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:59

Entry went in for Grade 5 Alto Sax today. Time to start hammering the scales I think! 

#66 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:48

I'm currently filling in the form for my TCL Grade 8 Flute exam in November. Trinity still do most of their exam entries by post, and I've just written a cheque for the first time in over two years to pay for the exam fee. It was lucky I even knew where to find my cheque book!

#67 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Member: 889203
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:33

Took the plunge and submitted my G8 piano entry this morning. A couple of months' very hard work now needed.

#68 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 25 September 2018 - 17:59

I had a bit of a panic with my teacher last night and have decided against going for the autumn exams after all. There's too much going on at work and I don't have enough time or focus to do myself justice.

#69 bursty

bursty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 897868

Posted 02 October 2018 - 16:29

I'm doing my Grade 4 Cornet this term. I was meant to be doing it in the summer, but ended up moving to London for a new job two weeks before the exam date, so sadly had to cancel! Looking forward to finally getting it out of the way. The past few months have been hectic, so I doubt I'll do amazingly well on it, but I'll be happy to pass at this stage!

#70 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 07 October 2018 - 19:50

I've just entered for grade 3 piano with LCM. My teacher is confident that I'll be ready - I'm not so sure but, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Will hopefully be entering for grade 6 musical theatre in the sping.

#71 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:34

I'm doing my Grade 4 Cornet this term. I was meant to be doing it in the summer, but ended up moving to London for a new job two weeks before the exam date, so sadly had to cancel! Looking forward to finally getting it out of the way. The past few months have been hectic, so I doubt I'll do amazingly well on it, but I'll be happy to pass at this stage!

Fingers crossed! There's still time to make up for things missed with all the moving. Good luck! 

I put my grade 5 sax off til November for different reasons, but I share the feeling of looking forward to getting it out of the way. I've spent what feels like forever on some of these pieces. While I've really enjoyed working on them, it'll be good to learn some new stuff.

#72 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:31

When do ABRSM confirm dates for exams? I applied back in August but on the entries portal still says:

Appointments are not currently available. Until then, your candidates are displayed in alphabetical order of surname.
For details on when practical exam appointments are published please click here.

However, the link takes you to a page for the Session B dates' releases, not Session C!

#73 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:47

When do ABRSM confirm dates for exams? I applied back in August but on the entries portal still says:

Appointments are not currently available. Until then, your candidates are displayed in alphabetical order of surname.
For details on when practical exam appointments are published please click here.

However, the link takes you to a page for the Session B dates' releases, not Session C!

My sax teacher said that it depends on which week you're in, so the people with exams in the first week get told soonest and so on. So maybe if you've asked for a later week you might have a slightly longer wait. I know I asked for the penultimate week, and I've not heard anything yet. 

#74 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:58

My sax teacher said that it depends on which week you're in, so the people with exams in the first week get told soonest and so on. So maybe if you've asked for a later week you might have a slightly longer wait. I know I asked for the penultimate week, and I've not heard anything yet. 

not to worry; they decided to publish the session C notification dates yesterday.

#75 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Member: 73855

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:20

Not posted for a while but doing my first exam since 2012 this session. Will be taking oboe ARSM - had first rehearsal with accompanist last night, generally OK though a bit of work needed there to bring it together.  Hoping that date will be available soon.  Good luck to everyone else preparing.