adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 02 December 2018 - 19:59

I am starting a new flute thread for anyone who wishes to contribute;

I am a beginner and am progressing.   I can play high notes but only as single notes on their own.   When I am playing an exercise that starts with lower notes and then goes onto higher notes, the higher notes do not sound very good.   My teacher says and I agree that it is because I am having to concentrate on the changes in the fingerings as well as the change in mouth position going from low to high so its a lot of things to think about all at once.   As I said earlier, if I am asked to play a high E or a high F etc that is no problem and they sound quite good and sharp.    I guess its just practice practice and more practice.   My teacher said I am very capable of producing a good high note

#2 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1603 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 02 December 2018 - 20:19

Removing tarnish from flute

I cleaned my flute headjoint using the "electrochemical method" with baking soda and aluminium foil.

It worked ok, the query now is can I use it to clean the body and footjoint without damaging the pads?

I understand the pads contain felt, but aren't they protected by a plastic skin?

unsure.png

#3 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 02 December 2018 - 20:25

Sorry, but it would not only damage the pads, but also some of the mechanism which isn't silver, eg the screws and pins. All of the key work would need to be removed first. Unless the tarnish is coming off when you handle it, it is completely harmless and doesn't affect the sound at all. Unless the flute is really cheap and not worth it, I would suggest getting it serviced instead - they can check everything is properly adjusted at the same time and will be able to put it back together properly!

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 20:27

How about getting a flute service?   I was advised to get mine serviced from time to time.  I paid £400 for it so it makes sense because if something went wrong with it I could not afford a replacement.

#5 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 20:30

I cleaned my old tarnished flute with Mr Sheen and a soft cloth.  I put some Mr Sheen on the cloth and gently rubbed the tarnish off.   I did not go near the pads.  It looks a bit better.  Not brilliant but a bit less tarnished than before

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 00:53

nobody really wants to use this new flute thread.   Shame really because there are quite a few flute players here.

#7 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:18

I think everyone is busy at the moment - its the season of everyone giving you extra things to somehow fit in to your already out of control life!

I'm playing an arrangement of Ave Maria in a Christmas concert next week (flutey and festive!)

#8 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6576 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:38

Many of the instrument-specific threads go through periods of being busy then quiet - no obvious reason for it, it's just the way things go.  You may have just hit the forum flautist quiet season! biggrin.png

The really long-standing flute thread hasn't been used in a goodly while though: https://www.abrsm.or...showtopic=47417

And there was an attempt to get a replacement going: https://www.abrsm.or...ic=60737&page=1

Maybe you flautists are just a quiet bunch wink.png

#9 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 22:49

Whatever the reason I am beginning  to feel disheartened with certain areas of this forum.   

#10 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3129 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:32

My last total day off from teaching was the 1st November and, as it stands, my next clear day is the 17th of December....so apologies for not contributing to this thread in my millions of spare minutes!

For the record, I have recently started playing again properly after several years of being incapable.  Much as the piano is still my instrument of choice when it comes to chilling (can't balance a glass of red on the end of a flute wink.png ) I have recorded a couple of flutie bits and am rediscovering some wonderful repertoire.  I play before teaching on a Monday morning at school between 07.00 - 07.45 and it lifts my heart to have staff come in and say "beautiful" and "this makes Monday morning so much nicer to deal with" etc. not to mention to look of total wonder on the faces of Small People when they walk through towards Breakfast Club (since when has breakfast been a 'club'?...).  I've also started arranging stuff for my advanced recorder group with my scatty but uber-gifted piano-teaching colleague - we've had a ball smile.png

Yours flutily...

Wind-Bag x