tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:09

I had a pupil stop lessons just over a week after sitting an exam.  I received the certificate today and have sent the parent a text to let them know but haven't had a response yet; admittedly it's still less than two hours since I sent the text.  I suppose I'm not really sure what I should do - I don't know if they're intending to just drop in and collect it or if the're not going to bother (a shame as the pupil got a really good distinction - the highest mark any of my pupils has ever got in an exam!).  Do I have to just keep hold of the certificate in case they do drop by eventually - be it some time later?

#2 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7248 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:09

Is it possible to send it to the pupil by post?

#3 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:52

If the student has only just stopped, and your text is less than a day old, I would give them until the end of term to collect in person.  The only problem with posting certificates, is do you have an up-to-date address for the student?  Encourage them to come to you to collect it.

edit: spelling

#4 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Central Scotland

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:59

I would definitely prefer they collect it, so I don't have to pay for postage!  Yes, I'll give it until the end of term and then see where I stand.

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3854 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 06 December 2018 - 14:17

It's only been two hours.  They might be in a hospital, or on O2 (I believe their net work has issues today).  Maybe they're at work...  There could be loads of reasons they haven't replies yet.  I don't think you need to worry just yet.

I often don't reply to texts until the next day (if ever) because I don't class them as urgent.  If it were urgent the person would ring as texts don't always get through.

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3854 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 00:09

Hopefully you've had a reply now. :)

#7 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 07 December 2018 - 18:15

In the past, I've kept the certificate in its cardboard envelope in my car, and dropped it at the student's house when I was passing nearby.  But I did know where she lived and that she definitely hadn't moved.

TGS X

#8 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Central Scotland

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:00

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply.  I did hear back from the pupil and they've collected their certificate so that's the end of that chapter!  I realise I was kind of living up to the first line of my signature being so anxious about this but I've never been in this situation before - and in all honesty I just wanted it over quickly so I could just move on.  Still, all sorted now!smile.png

#9 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3854 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:35

Glad you can relax about it now. Thank you for letting us know. :)

#10 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:07

You are very kind. There is a fellow teacher in my area who refused to release the certificate and the mark sheet once the student left for another teacher.

I had a pupil stop lessons just over a week after sitting an exam. I received the certificate today and have sent the parent a text to let them know but haven't had a response yet; admittedly it's still less than two hours since I sent the text. I suppose I'm not really sure what I should do - I don't know if they're intending to just drop in and collect it or if the're not going to bother (a shame as the pupil got a really good distinction - the highest mark any of my pupils has ever got in an exam!). Do I have to just keep hold of the certificate in case they do drop by eventually - be it some time later?

#11 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 08 December 2018 - 19:06

Handing over certificates is to my mind, a very satisfying process.  It's a shame if the student is moving onto other things.  However, I am always pleased if a student is continuing to learn music or piano, even with another teacher.  Realistically, when a student starts, you always know, sooner or later, they will finish their studies with you at some point.