porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 06 December 2018 - 19:52

Hi! It might be a long shot but does anyone remember Kenneth Alford's "Lightning Switch" pieces? They consisted of about 20-30 musical extracts, just a few bars of each, one after the other, cleverly interwoven into one piece. Great fun to play. I've been asked to play some music and to do something "fun" at an event at church next Thursday evening and I wondered whether there are any such Christmas pieces so that I could perhaps do a little "name that carol" quiz? I could probably come up with something myself, say 20 carols, a few bars of each but time is short and I'm not very inventive. There are plenty of Christmas medleys available with 3 or 4 carols but that's not really what I'm looking for. The extracts have to be really short, probably just the first line, or another line, of each carol. Any ideas or suggestions please? I'm sure there must be something out there somewhere. 

#2 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:38

Not much joy searching for lightning switch, seems it's an electronic lighting device ... and not on Youtube - shame sounds fun!

How musical is your audience? If they're quite knowledgeable, could you play a few bars of various carols but only bass, tenor and alto, and see if they can work it out from that? Or play two bars backwards or something - that could be funny! (I would definitely have to write that out!)

#3 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:45

Not much joy searching for lightning switch, seems it's an electronic lighting device ... and not on Youtube - shame sounds fun!

How musical is your audience? If they're quite knowledgeable, could you play a few bars of various carols but only bass, tenor and alto, and see if they can work it out from that? Or play two bars backwards or something - that could be funny! (I would definitely have to write that out!)

Yes it would be fun. I have two of Kenneth Alford's switches. One consists of old songs and the other consists of classical excerpts. To be honest I've no idea about the audience. It's a new community venture which the church have just started a few months ago for the mentally ill. They have things like quizzes, games, crafts, etc. and provide a communal dinner. As I play the organ at the church from time to time (when their regular organist is away) they asked whether I might be interested in doing some music or something fun for them perhaps once a month or every 6 weeks. Backwards carols might be a little too difficult and I think bass, tenor and alto would be even more difficult, but one never knows. Some of them might be very musical. biggrin.png

#4 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:10

There's one on ebay but it's £21+ and estimated delivery is a week away... and examdots are selling it via Amazon if you deal with them (Amazon not examdots). I'll send you linkies if you want. There's this vid here:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Q9WaNTMm6Mg

which is supposed to have it. However, it was a bit relentlessly cheerful and I don't use youtube unless I have to... Good luck!!! laugh.png

If I spot anything else I'll say...

edited to add

It's also available here:

https://www.sheetmus...musical-switch/

£12 with postage but not sure what the arrangement is actually for... I'm probably being dense...

#5 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 07 December 2018 - 17:02

I'm assuming you're a pianist, but wondering if there's a piano transcription of Leroy Anderson's Christmas Festival available?