Photo

Would you let student learn a pop song with swearing in?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:02

Anyone offended by swear words perhaps ought not to read the works of Chaucer. 

I wouldn't let a 12 year old read it!

#17 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:47

Thanks for replies. Student agreed with me why the song wouldn't be suitable, and is now happily learning No Tears Left to Cry which is much more suited to piano anyway!

#18 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17317 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 January 2019 - 14:43

Yeah, some very naughty bits in Canterbury Tales, yet they prosecuted Lady Chatterley. 

#19 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4713 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 January 2019 - 18:24

Yeah, some very naughty bits in Canterbury Tales, yet they prosecuted Lady Chatterley.

Rough old times in the middle ages, but I don't think Chaucer intended his tales for 12 year olds, although I guess many of them were working the fields and having babies.

#20 JoannaB

JoannaB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Member: 28767
  • SW London

Posted 18 January 2019 - 13:16

Rough old times in the middle ages, but I don't think Chaucer intended his tales for 12 year olds, although I guess many of them were working the fields and having babies.

We studied Chaucer at school in year 8 so I would have been 12/13. All the naughty bits must have completely passed me by.

#21 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 18 January 2019 - 15:14

Years ago I taught a ten year old beginner boy who needed lots of encouragement and would get fed up with pieces very easily.  In an attempt to chivy up his enthusiasm a bit, I suggested towards the end of lessons we could spend a little while looking at a tune he knew.  He seemed keen on this so I asked him to give me some ideas of what he listened to.

The following week mum and gran brought him to the lesson as usual (I should mention that the family were incredibly 'well-to-do', both parents professionals and gran had been a classical pianist back in the day).  They told me about a style of music the boy enjoyed listening to and he gave me some song names which I wrote down.

I had a listen to some of the songs online he'd given me and they were kind of American hip hop, but contained almost non-stop swearing and disgusting derogatory lyrics.  I was pretty surprised that he was listening to things like that.  At his age I doubt if he would have understood what the songs were about, or perhaps he did.

I spoke to mum and gran the following week and said we wouldn't be learning any of the songs from his list.  The gran in particular clearly wasn't happy and was quick to question me, mum looked confused and the boy was very disappointed.  I explained about the issue with the lyrics (without going into detail) and asked his mum to look them up online.

The songs were never mentioned again.

#22 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:16

We studied Chaucer at school in year 8 so I would have been 12/13. All the naughty bits must have completely passed me by.

So did we - but thery were very carefuly chosen selections, with nothing naughty in them at all. sad.png  laugh.png

#23 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:32

This is a perfect illustration of the prudery mess that our current generation is still in. There is a difference between inciting nastiness, revelling in violence, degrading others, and merely telling a cheeky story using rude words. Chaucer is bawdy, unafraid of outrageous humour, but he is not derogatory or disgusting. He understood humanity, our frailties and pretences, but his works don't undermine morality. We laugh at the silly censorship that the bbc inflicted on comedy shows 40 years ago, and how the writers perpetually circumvented this unnecessary, silly stuffiness - and yet our own generation can't differentiate between rude words and bad thoughts. Chaucer is safe at any age. Many song lyrics are just globally offensive and have no redeeming features.