Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 09 January 2019 - 21:03

OK, Brexit is not my favourite topic for debate.  My question relates to new students, who are European, and may have concerns about exactly what their status will be, once all the shouting is over.  Usually, I ask for a month in advance and a deposit.  For some, this could prove problematic, if they are uncertain of staying.  I do not, under any circumstances, want to upset prospective students by suggesting that some idiot will boot them out of the country.  Equally, I do not want anyone to feel that me asking for a deposit payment is going to disadvantage them.  How the heck do I phrase this in emails professionally, and diplomatically.  I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE POLITICS!!!!. I just want to  be fair and reasonable to new students.

PS: I apologise for bringing that horrible Brexit thingummy to the forum!  It's just I have a lot of European students, and I want to be sensitive but fair.

#2 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7353 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 09 January 2019 - 22:09

Dorcas, I and many of my friends both here in France and in the UK have Brexit related questions and there is simply no answer available to most of them. The only thing I can suggest is that you simply say that in view of the current uncertainties you would prefer pay as you go arrangements. That is, of course, if that's what you could / would do. sorry not to be able to be more optimistic.

#3 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4708 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 09 January 2019 - 23:08

If you only require a month's fee up front then I cannot forsee any problem whatsoever.
As for the deposit, that would depend on your own t&cs and under what circumstances you refund.

#4 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 10 January 2019 - 16:18

I think you should stick to your original terms and conditions.

I can not imagine that people will be thrown out of the country at the end of March. Indeed Theresa May has said that this will not happen and outlined the procedure for what will happen. (That is unfortunately not the case in the country where I am living where the government has said this week that if there is no deal we will lose our right to stay).

So, although some of your European families may have plans to move back, it is highly unlikely that they will be "thrown out" at short notice - put on planes and deported etc. If the unlikely event this were to happen you could issue them with a refund irrespective of your terms and conditions.

And don't mention it unless they bring it up - I am getting bone-tired of friends and acquaintances asking me what is going to happen to me after Brexit. I don't know and nor does anyone else and I would like to live my life now without having people asking me all the time. They mean well but it just makes me feel sick.

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3872 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 10 January 2019 - 18:50

I would just stick to what you normally do. After all, post Brexit, if they stay, then how are you going to put them on the same footing as everyone else without having to explain all this to them?

#6 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 13:21

Hi Dorcas,

Slightly with my job-hat on, please have a look at https://www.ukcisa.o...nd-their-family. There is an information sheet at https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/UKCISA%20Brexit%20Flyer.pdf

These guidelines are for students, I have no idea (no more than anyone else) about people moving for work after Brexit.

violinlove is correct, nobody already here will be forced to leave. I think the problem, if it comes about, will be for people who want to move to the UK in say 2020.

#7 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 11 January 2019 - 16:17

Thank you everyone for your common sense answers.  I am slightly fraught at the moment, due to a personal bereavement.  I will stick to my original terms and conditions.

#8 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14511 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 11 January 2019 - 21:35

So sorry to hear of your bereavement, Dorcas.

:(

#9 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6012 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 12 January 2019 - 00:58

Thank you everyone for your common sense answers.  I am slightly fraught at the moment, due to a personal bereavement.  I will stick to my original terms and conditions.

Sorry to hear this- thoughts with you. 

#10 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 14 January 2019 - 19:35

Thank you ladies! x

#11 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:22

I wouldn't worry - Brexit may not happen. :)

#12 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6608 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:20

Ignoring the debate, you can do some simple 'worst case' imagining:

Let's suppose Brexit goes ahead.  During the 'transition period', nothing should change.

Let's imagine that at the end of that period whoever is in charge declares "All non-UK nationals are to be chucked out of the country".  There will be some uproar, I suspect.

But let's imagine that this is debated and agreed to by both houses and subsequently becomes law - this won't be quick.  There's going to be a notice period - they can't just turf everyone out overnight, and even playing "let's imagine worst case", I can't envisage they'd try and do it in one month (I mean, logistically it'd probably mean having military go door to door to round people up, and even extreme politicians know this is a bad look).

Only once we get to this point, do you maybe need to think that some of your students may wish the flee the country within the month.  But it lies at the end of a long chain of low-likelihood things that almost certainly wouldn't happen quickly, so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about for 2019.

And condolences for your loss.

#13 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 16 January 2019 - 15:53

Any chance we could keep this a Brexit-free Zone? There are numerous other forums on which to discuss this kind of query.

#14 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6012 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:21

I think Dorcas wanted to know about the administrative issues surrounding terms and conditions for students whose status was uncertain, rather than the politics of it. That's what she said in the first post

#15 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7353 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 17 January 2019 - 22:22

May I just use this thread to tell violinlove I have sent a message but I can't make  out whetther it has actually been sent or not as  I got a security check page and couldn't seem to get through.