#31 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:10

Well I learnt lots for my grade 5 theory, many years ago and I can still remember them now. Maybe it doesn't help my playing become musical, but when asked what terms mean by students, it's far more professional to know them than to have to look them up.

#32 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3966 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:20

Whilst the (vocab) part of the exam might not be "musical/aural" in itself knowing what the terms mean can enhance musicality and performance. For example you wouldn't want to play the beginning of Mars "arco" instead of "col legno."

Also, the written (theory) exam is only one way of testing the syllabus material has been covered. Understanding/knowledge of the terms would also be demonstrated in the practical exams. For example, you wouldn't give top marks for a piece played "forte" if it was clearly marked "piano."

#33 pianoplaying

pianoplaying

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 100662

Posted 30 June 2016 - 16:59

I just found out there is this teacher Jenny who can finish teaching gd6-8 in 1 year. She conducted fun and interactive lessons at her home studio and she has many successful stories. She wrote a theory guide book on her own and share all the secrets of short cut methods. Quite interesting. U can visit http://www.wowpianow...theory-lessons/

#34 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22935 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 30 June 2016 - 18:59

I just found out there is this teacher Jenny who can finish teaching gd6-8 in 1 year. She conducted fun and interactive lessons at her home studio and she has many successful stories. She wrote a theory guide book on her own and share all the secrets of short cut methods. Quite interesting. U can visit http://www.wowpianow...theory-lessons/

Your site says that grade 8 theory is needed to progress to ABRSM Diploma exams.

This is not true. Grade 6 theory is required for DipABRSM teaching and grade 8 theory for LRSM teaching.

There is no theory requirement for performance or directing Diplomas.

Also grade 5 theory is one of three options for progress to grade 6 and above.

#35 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 07 July 2016 - 21:33

What Italian term would you use to describe "elegant"?  The closest I can find is "grazioso", but "graceful" and "elegant" don't quite mean the same thing to me.  I think of "graceful" as being "flowing", and "elegant" as being more mannered/formal.

#36 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4793 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 07 July 2016 - 23:25

What Italian term would you use to describe "elegant"?  The closest I can find is "grazioso", but "graceful" and "elegant" don't quite mean the same thing to me.  I think of "graceful" as being "flowing", and "elegant" as being more mannered/formal.

There's a direction in Italian - con Eleganza/ Elegante -meaning 'in a refined,elegant style.

#37 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19862 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 15 July 2016 - 17:09

Theory results seem to be coming through.

:-)

#38 WillRoberts

WillRoberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Member: 897255
  • Royal Tunbridge Wells

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:07

I have just compiled a word search worksheet for the grade 1 terms.  If anyone's interested I uploaded it here: https://www.tes.com/...theory-11533936.  Would be nice to know if someone else gets use out of it too!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing for grade 2 but then might have to re-think the format as the lists get longer after that.  Does anyone else have ideas for teaching terminology interestingly?  My students are usually reluctant as many of them see list-learning as boring, for some reason.