35 replies to this topic

#31 vron

vron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 08 January 2019 - 14:54

exactly what I said and apparently in the original challenge the entry fees were paid for by the organisation doing it.

Perhaps we could do it as a slightly different challenge amongst ourselves - not as a fund raiser but as a board challenge to try aand achieve grade 1 standard in a nominated instrument(without the exam) in a certain period of time. Perhaps a utube recording of ourselves at the end of the period of time playing current grad1 pieces.

#32 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:34

I did try to post yesterday, but somehow failed. I think I would worry a bit about these price increases, because music exams are rather a social thing. Most people don't actually need to take them for career reasons, but it's something one does because other kids are doing it, and it's something teachers provide, because other teachers provide it. I worry slightly that if enough teachers get miffed and suggest to their pupils they shouldn't bother, then there will come a tipping point where parents stop seeing music exams as a ritual part of childhood - where the peer-pressure to keep up with others doing the exams disappears (because insufficient others are doing the exam). And then the whole thing will implode, potentially over a very short period.

I rather hope this doesn't happen, because organised exams available to all do seem to me to be one of the bricks that constructs musical education. Who knows.

#33 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4443 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:01

I'm now doing my own curriculum with my own graded and vocab controlled arrangements for alot of pupils, not just because of exam costs but also because some of the piano exam pieces just wouldn't appeal to them (just piano - other instruments seem to get a more tuneful deal!) I've found that it is often quicker to knock out an arrangement than to plough through humpteen books trying to find something to suit a pupil. You then end up with exactly what you want.

#34 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22903 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:22

I did try to post yesterday, but somehow failed. I think I would worry a bit about these price increases, because music exams are rather a social thing. Most people don't actually need to take them for career reasons, but it's something one does because other kids are doing it, and it's something teachers provide, because other teachers provide it. I worry slightly that if enough teachers get miffed and suggest to their pupils they shouldn't bother, then there will come a tipping point where parents stop seeing music exams as a ritual part of childhood - where the peer-pressure to keep up with others doing the exams disappears (because insufficient others are doing the exam). And then the whole thing will implode, potentially over a very short period.

I rather hope this doesn't happen, because organised exams available to all do seem to me to be one of the bricks that constructs musical education. Who knows.

I think I'd see a change where music exams were not seen as a major part of learning an instrument to be a good thing rater than a bad one.

#35 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 10 January 2019 - 22:18

I can't agree with you on that one sboa. I am certainly against the mis-use of exams but I think that for a very large number of children  and parents and for some adult learners   they are a very important part of learning. Testing and examining is overdone in schools as well as in private tuition of different kinds but it is an integral part of the learning process. It just needs to be used intelligently.

I don't really want to divert to a discussion on  the good and the bad aspects of exams. What I am interested in is the opinions about prices  of those  who do find the system helpful and who  want to use it.

#36 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22903 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 11 January 2019 - 16:18

I can't agree with you on that one sboa. I am certainly against the mis-use of exams but I think that for a very large number of children  and parents and for some adult learners   they are a very important part of learning. Testing and examining is overdone in schools as well as in private tuition of different kinds but it is an integral part of the learning process. It just needs to be used intelligently.

I don't really want to divert to a discussion on  the good and the bad aspects of exams. What I am interested in is the opinions about prices  of those  who do find the system helpful and who  want to use it.

Yes, I'm not denying that they can be good. It's the idea that exams are all you learn for that I was thinking of.