Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5732 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:57

I had a child come for a first lesson last week with a new beginner violin in a bright shiny colour (heavy sigh). The set-up on the whole looks okay, but I had to take pliers to two of the fine tuners. Is there any way of easing them? I don't think they are cross-threaded as they do move, but my fingers aren't strong enough to make them move without help. Also, one of the others has the wee disc that sits on the tailpiece completely loose, which creates a minor rattle on the string. There is a local luthier here; is it worth sending the pupil along there?

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:37

If they are not cross-threaded some lubrication will help - a light oil such as sewing-machine oil applied as a single small drop on the end of a needle can work wonders.  With the loose disc -  this attaches the body of the tuner to the tail-piece and you should be able to just tighten it up. This video shows how they fit:

If you're not confident about doing it yourself I would send the pupil to the luthier - either it is an easy job taking less than a minute, or something more serious which will need their expertise.

#3 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5732 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:04

Thanks, LoneM, for such a prompt and full answer. smile.png

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 14:52

Good luck - hope it works out all right!

#5 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:19

I will add my thanks too - a couple of my students have awkwardly tight adjusters too, I will find my sewing machine oil and put it on my teaching tools shelf!

#6 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5732 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:45

One further thought - is is best to take the screw part of the adjuster out completely (if possible) to add the oil, or just leave in situ? If, the latter, is it best applied above or below the screw?

#7 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 17:40

When I do it, I take the screw out completely and put the oil on the lower end of the screw - when you replace it and screw it in again the oil will be spread nicely through the threads.

You may have to repeat this occasionally, as the oil will gradually dry out or evaporate. A thicker oil, or grease, would last longer, but is more likely to pick up dust and grime which will gunk up the thread.

Of course, it may be that the fine tuners on a cheap violin are not very good quality to start with, with poorly cut threads, and the only long-term remedy would be to replace them altogether.

#8 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5732 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 13 January 2019 - 14:19

Of course, it may be that the fine tuners on a cheap violin are not very good quality to start with, with poorly cut threads, and the only long-term remedy would be to replace them altogether.

Many thanks for your reply, LoneM. I suspect that in this case, they are not likely to be good quality (the violin is bright purple, and my experience of these coloured instruments is that, although attractive - to a child - they generally are of inferior quality).

Would 3-in-1 oil be too heavy?

#9 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:58

I think 3-in-1 would be all right.  The main think is to apply it sparingly - you don't want any to drip onto the violin, or have it build up on the screw enough to pick up gunk.