tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 16 January 2019 - 13:37

Hi, I've got a couple of questions about entering pupils for exams.  This upcoming session will be the first time ever entering more than one pupil for a session (two pupils! ohmy.png ) and I was just wanting to check how it works.  I was mainly wondering if I need to enter them both for the same preferred week or if they can have separate weeks.  Basically right now I have the complete details for one of them so could get on with their exam entry but I'm not going to see the second pupil until the end of the week so don't know if I need to wait until then or not.

The other question was about the fact that the first pupil has one week they definitely can't manage.  I have already informed the parent that with AB we can't select a week to avoid, only choose a preferred week but I was wondering what to do in the event the pupil is given a date on the one week they can't actually make.  Would it just be a case of ring the board up and ask for a new date?

#2 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4437 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 16 January 2019 - 13:47

I do mine on a form by post and this is good because you can just write whatever you need to on the form. They accommodate the requests if they can.

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3359 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 16 January 2019 - 13:49

I think you might have to do it as two different entries if your preferred week is different for each pupil. If you get a date the student can't do, you ring up and ask if there are any other slots are available. If it's a whole week your student can't do, and that is the only week at your chosen centre, you may be given a slot at another centre. There are several options for me, none particularly close, but I have used them all on occasion.

#4 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 16 January 2019 - 14:12

I was once told to send an email to the regional organiser if I had specific requests - obviously with no guarantees. 

When I've had dates that pupils can't manage, they have rung up the board, with my 'permission' (apparently that's needed) directly to arrange a different time. So far, that's always been possible, though it has occasionally meant going to a different exam centre. 

#5 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Central Scotland

Posted 16 January 2019 - 17:08

Thanks for the info and advice!  I guess the first port of call will be to see if there are any dates the other pupil can't manage and then take it from there.

#6 Sautillé

Sautillé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 18 January 2019 - 21:17

Tetrachord, Latin P is absolutely right. If you want separate preferred weeks you must put in separate entries, otherwise the system is designed for you to get your entries on the same day and consecutively. To be fair this is a great help if you accompany your own students because they all appear in one block.
Re: preferred weeks. There isn’t any way of dealing with this. You might try sending an email but various posts on this forum are testament to the fact that this is not very successful. It’s now quite late in the entry timeframe so you need to be strategic. The entries are done by computer and backfilled from your preferred week. So, I know through experience that if I want week 5 I have to enter for my very busy local centre by about day 5 of the opening of the booking (yes, really). So my entries went in last term. If you are hoping for a preferred week 4 or 5, it’s now very late to be likely to get that. So, if the week you don’t want is 4 or 5 you’re probably ok but if earlier.... a bit more dodgy. Finally, rearranging is a lottery. You are most likely to get an earlier date..... dust off your aural books and apply the thumb screws now!!

#7 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Central Scotland

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:23

I have now entered the first pupil for the next session so that's sorted at least.  It won't be a problem in this case that I'm unlikely to get a later week as we were kind of leaning towards an earlier date being preferable anyway.  The issue is going to be the second pupil.  They didn't suggest there were any dates they couldn't manage which is something, but we had decided to give another week to work on pieces before deciding for definite whether to enter so we'll be cutting it quite fine if we do.

#8 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1748 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:29

My experience is that even if I enter candidates for different weeks they end up on the same day!  Of course examiners don't necessarily visit a centre for the whole exam period so there may be limited choice.  Emails pointing out difficult days seem to be ignored but giving permission for the candidate to negotiate a diffeent date has always worked so far.