#46 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 16 December 2018 - 22:35

Can you ask him if he wants it - otherwise I'll have to find a piano pupil with worms!unsure.png

#47 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:04

My son says he could use another one, but it would probably cost quite a lot to post. Maybe there's a needy sheep farmer locally?

#48 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:03

So I've done four sessions at the hospital so far, and it's been quite fun, if a bit random. I've averaged one interruption per session, mostly it's small children wanting a go (though the beaming parents who kept filming while their toddler climbed me and the piano to pound the keyboard really should have known better). Someone wanted to know if I played the guitar too and could accompany caroling at the wards, which unfortunately I don't so I can't. 

I also decided to sightread the Mendelssohn Christmas pieces - there's one in G minor which I completely ignored the key signature of for half the piece so it switched abruptly from G major to G minor blink.png I don't think anyone noticed. I hope. 

#49 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2538 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:23

So I've done four sessions at the hospital so far, and it's been quite fun, if a bit random. I've averaged one interruption per session, mostly it's small children wanting a go (though the beaming parents who kept filming while their toddler climbed me and the piano to pound the keyboard really should have known better). Someone wanted to know if I played the guitar too and could accompany caroling at the wards, which unfortunately I don't so I can't.

I also decided to sightread the Mendelssohn Christmas pieces - there's one in G minor which I completely ignored the key signature of for half the piece so it switched abruptly from G major to G minor blink.png I don't think anyone noticed. I hope.

What a lovely thing to do. They're lucky to have you.

#50 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:54

I agree with Banjogirl - it's a wonderful thing to do and will be very much appreciated! I'm glad you're having fun too!

#51 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 17 December 2018 - 16:40

Last but one rehearsal. The angel Gabriel threw a temper tantrum. Class teacher tried sweet reason saying that Gabriel had proved he could behave  well when at catechism class with  with the parish priest  and that Father L would be very disappointed if the angel Gabriel was not well behaved tomorrow. "Well," replied Gabriel sulkily " he's not here today!"

Little girl in the front row turned round  in the middle of the shepherds' song and conducted the choir. Choir immediately watched her and not me.Sang the second verse twice instead of verse three. I offered the offending child my job - but she declined. However I noticed she has a  good sense of rhythm so will work on that in January.biggrin.png

The tinsel got ripped off the guiding star and the three wise men had difficulty with their camels who appeared to be going in the opposite direction from them.

I sincerely hope the parents (and Father L) will have a sense of humour tomorrow afternoon!

#52 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 December 2018 - 18:26

Fingers crossed that Aquarelle's Angel Gabriel does the business when required. I have often felt that the original one probably wasn't to be messed with!

Returned home to find OH has gone berserk with exterior Christmas lights and the winter jasmine shrub outside my teaching room window is thickly festooned with rather bilious green lights.
The result is a sinister glow in the music room -just need pantomime smoke and a caped villain to thoroughly frighten the less sturdy pupils this week.
Cannot say anything though or there will be an almighty huff.

#53 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2538 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 17 December 2018 - 18:29

Fingers crossed that Aquarelle's Angel Gabriel does the business when required. I have often felt that the original one probably wasn't to be messed with!

Returned home to find OH has gone berserk with exterior Christmas lights and the winter jasmine shrub outside my teaching room window is thickly festooned with rather bilious green lights.
The result is a sinister glow in the music room -just need pantomime smoke and a caped villain to thoroughly frighten the less sturdy pupils this week.
Cannot say anything though or there will be an almighty huff.

That's hilarious.

In the nine lessons and carols last night one lady got up to read, and as soon as she started there was the most the most tremendous downpour, the noise of which on the church roof meant no one could hear a word she said! And it was perfectly timed to stop when she did.

And the vicar did an uncharacteristically hard-hitting sermon about the homeless, and good for him for being brave enough.

#54 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6465 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:38

Last carol concert for me yesterday evening (that's 5 this year - just deciding whether it is a few too many). 

Exciting moments included we, the choir, plus choir master standing anticipating jazzy version of "angels we have heard on high" (in 7/8 blink.png ) when pianist strikes up with "Carol of the Stable" which should have been the second of our choir items. Fortunately sopranos were super-quick-thinking and had about 4 bars to gather their wits and arrange their voices accordingly, choir master followed milliseconds later (his face was a picture) and no one in the audience was any the wiser - just thought that there was a misprint in the programme I expect.  Altos, tenors and basses had a few more seconds to adjust as sops had a bit of solo work first.

Naturally, these two items were actually our best performances in the whole programme. Amazing what a little injection of adrenalin can do!! rofl.gif

#55 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 18 December 2018 - 18:05

Hedgehog, that happened to me a few years ago. I announced to the audience that we would sing song A, brought in the accompanist who played something I didn't recognise, and brought in the choir who sang something very strange. Half way through the first verse I realised they were in fact singing song B. I looked at the programme and realised that they should have been singing song B but were obviously too polite to tell me that I had announced the wrong song to the audience. I switched mode and started conducting song B properly. After the song, I turned back to the audience and said "That was, of course, song B. Now we will sing song A." and all was well.

But the best bit was that after the concert, a few people came up to me and asked what it was they had done wrong during song B. Because I was looking confused they automatically thought they were doing something wrong, rather than me conducting the wrong song. What an amazingly well-trained choir. rofl.gif

#56 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • Here

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:20

So far I've done five sessions at the hospital without embarrassing myself too much. Am now shamelessly listening to the next volunteer, but he seems very nervous and I feel slightly bad (as in he knows I'm the previous volunteer). Too bad! It's part of the experience. Anyway, he's providing a nice contrast because he's playing all the modern Christmas songs that I didn't play just now.

#57 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:12

Do you have any non Xmas pieces in your programme at the hospital?

#58 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • Here

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:38

Do you have any non Xmas pieces in your programme at the hospital?

At the moment only Bach. But I've got lots of non Christmas classical and non classical stuff for next year. I'll be doing this till next Feb- at least twice a week. I've got Chopin waltzes, a couple of nocturnes, film music and anime.

#59 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 24 December 2018 - 13:57

Eeeek!
Just picked up the turkey crown from the butchers. Was expecting a dome-shaped standard bird but minus wings and drum sticks.
What I have here is a slab of meat that appears to have been boned. No idea how I can present this to look festive when it's cooked.

*scratches head*

#60 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17373 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 24 December 2018 - 15:22

Picked up our Crown from M & S, and was a normal turkey missing legs and wings.  Should have been 3.1 - 3.6 kilos.  Ours is right at the bottom level so rather smaller than we were anticipating.  Still should feed 9 Christmas Day (2 are young granddaughters)  and some left for Boxing Day (7 of us) as we are cooking a gammon joint too.