Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 11 August 2017 - 13:54

Hi recorder people!

I'm thinking of having a go at the treble recorder. I can already play descant reasonably well plus 2 other non woodwind instruments. My aim would be to be able to play some of the Baroque repertoire for recorder.

Can you recommend a tutor book and also a decent make/model to start out with please? Budget around £50.

Many thanks!

#2 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 11 August 2017 - 17:26

I like the Alan Davis treble recorder method; it's a good method for someone who already has a good grounding in music and wants to play the treble recorder as a 2nd (or 3rd etc...) instrument. It introduces notes too fast for the first time user, but its exercises will revisit difficult fingering-transitions and how to use them in proper musical contexts, in a beautifully helpful way. It also has a lot of additional information about articulation and other essential elements that you need for a range of recorder repertoire. A very good all-in-one book.

Personally I don't think you can get a decent wooden instrument for £50 unless you go second-hand and have a lot of luck, so I'd go for a good plastic one from one of the major manufacturers: aulos, yamaha etc.; their good plastic instruments will outperform cheap wooden ones, and are all the product of many years' development. You don't even need to spend as much as £50 if you're OK with a decent plastic instrument; you'll probably get something perfectly respectable for £30.

Good luck, it's a lovely instrument. And don't despair of descant for Baroque repertoire either. Although it's generally reckoned that the treble is the adult instrument and correct one for the Baroque repertoire, there is an awful lot of Baroque violin and traverso music that can reasonably be stolen by the recorder player, if they're prepared to descend below F, so descant has its place... (I wish I could afford a recorder in D, and had the brain power to cope with another set of fingerings to play it).

#3 Spanish Pavane

Spanish Pavane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Member: 720213

Posted 11 August 2017 - 19:09

There's a whole recorder thread within the Viva Woodwind - enjoy delving into that!

#4 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 11 August 2017 - 19:16

Thank you. Very helpful!

#5 jim palmer

jim palmer