barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41707 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 08 December 2006 - 21:00

In meerkat's East Midlands thread, I posted an event calendar. I thought it'd be useful to post it again here so you can all note down these dates in your diaries!

January 6th : fluteteacher and livmaestro's Huddersfield band concert

January 13th : petrat's Chester forum concert - hope you all enjoyed it! smile.gif

January 27th : meerkat's 1st Harborough playday

February 17th : katyjay and AmandaL's Teddington Adult Learner's concert - glad to hear it was a success! smile.gif

February 24th : meerkat's 2nd Harborough playday

March 24th : Forums CD recording session at Egham - from katyjay and barry-clari - a great success - thank you everyone! smile.gif

April 10th : katyjay and nicki_flute's Leicester forum concert - well done everyone who performed - a great day!

April 15th: meerkat's 3rd Harborough playday - let's hope the weather on the 5th May is as good as it was on the 15th April! biggrin.gif

May 5th : meerkat's Harborough bandstand gig - this was a really great event, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Pictures are now on the East Midlands thread, on the July 8th link. smile.gif

June 2nd : skylark's Leeds forum concert - great venue, great concert! smile.gif

July 8th : meerkat's 4th Harborough playday

July 28th : sbhoa's Stalybridge adult learners' concert. - what a lovely day this was, well done everyone!

August 23rd : Flute choir playday organised by andante_in_c in North Hampshire

September 8th : meerkat's 5th Harborough playday

September 22nd : Jo's Woodford forum concert. - A great success! biggrin.gif

November 3rd : meerkat's 6th Harborough playday

Other possible events, to be confirmed:

Andante_in_c's instrumental taster session, currently looking to hold this in Spring 2008, in Farnborough, near Orpington in Kent.

A Gloucestershire playday, from sarah-flute

A Singapore forum concert, from fawnfawn

A Scottish event, from neil.clarinet, YAP, StuMac, katyjay and others.

Possible playdays in the Lancashire area, from Fiona.

A proposed social string quartet in Lancashire, from agapanthus.

I'll also add here Sarah's proposal for a flute ensemble in the Gloucestershire area.

I think that's all for now. Thank you to all of you who are organising these events for us! biggrin.gif

#2 nicki_flute

nicki_flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30025 posts
  • Member: 1532

Posted 08 December 2006 - 21:02

I'll be trying to sort out verification of the Leicester concert from the uni this week.

#3 jacobvaneyck

jacobvaneyck

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3595 posts
  • Member: 2998

Posted 08 December 2006 - 21:07

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 8 2006, 09:00 PM) View Post

A Scottish event from neil.clarinet

Sorry, completely sidetracked from that. I was working with anacrusis, Stumac and YAP, and Katyjay as well. Main obstacles are finding a location and a suitable date, with so many events being planned. We also have to be sure enough members will make it up here and again it very much depends when it falls. We might be lucky. Life is just too hectic just now, but maybe something will happen.

#4 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 December 2006 - 21:50

Good idea to start this thread. Could we have it pinned so that we can keep referring back to it? rolleyes.gif

#5 nicki_flute

nicki_flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30025 posts
  • Member: 1532

Posted 08 December 2006 - 21:53

QUOTE(skylark @ Dec 8 2006, 09:50 PM) View Post

Good idea to start this thread. Could we have it pinned so that we can keep referring back to it? rolleyes.gif

Even better idea. The mods might not be able to sticky it til Monday though.

#6 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41707 posts
  • South East London

Posted 08 December 2006 - 21:59

QUOTE(skylark @ Dec 8 2006, 09:50 PM) View Post

Have asked the moderators about that, but as Nicki has said, they're unlikely to be around again 'til Monday. smile.gif

#7 IrisH - LoonY

IrisH - LoonY

Virtuoso

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6475 posts
  • Member: 5208
  • Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and the rest of the country

Posted 08 December 2006 - 23:34

Would it not be easier to have an event just in very northern England like Newcastle or Carlisle? Or somewhere that's easily accessible from Glasgow/Edinburgh

#8 YetAnotherPianist

YetAnotherPianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6693 posts
  • Member: 2978
  • Sofa; occasionally, piano stool

Posted 08 December 2006 - 23:55

The north of England is still quite a long way from Dundee, Aberdeen, Oban and so on; whereas Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't too far from the north of England and are a reasonable distance from most of Scotland. Also, Carlisle has no airport, and Glasgow/Prestwick/Edinburgh are much better served than Newcastle.

We are currently looking into venues, and were aiming for around June upon Katyjay's advice, but that's now taken so we're not sure what to do at the moment.

#9 IrisH - LoonY

IrisH - LoonY

Virtuoso

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6475 posts
  • Member: 5208
  • Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and the rest of the country

Posted 09 December 2006 - 00:33

QUOTE(YetAnotherPianist @ Dec 8 2006, 11:55 PM) View Post

The north of England is still quite a long way from Dundee, Aberdeen, Oban and so on; whereas Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't too far from the north of England and are a reasonable distance from most of Scotland. Also, Carlisle has no airport, and Glasgow/Prestwick/Edinburgh are much better served than Newcastle.

We are currently looking into venues, and were aiming for around June upon Katyjay's advice, but that's now taken so we're not sure what to do at the moment.

Oh there's people from Dundee/Aberdeen/Oban coming? ph34r.gif I vote for Glasgow then.

#10 jo.clarinet

jo.clarinet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Member: 303
  • London

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:11

The Woodford Forums concert will be on Saturday 22nd September, as long as I can have the hall on that date (the school won't be able to confirm this until next April/May). smile.gif

#11 YetAnotherPianist

YetAnotherPianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6693 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:33

So, given June is out now, around what time would it be best to place a Scottish concert? July and August are out if we're arranging it. We have a venue in mind but could do to give them a rough idea of dates to find out when it's available and what price they'd be looking at.

#12 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41707 posts
  • South East London

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:41

QUOTE(jo.clarinet @ Dec 9 2006, 06:11 AM) View Post

The Woodford Forums concert will be on Saturday 22nd September, as long as I can have the hall on that date (the school won't be able to confirm this until next April/May). smile.gif

Will alter the calendar now Jo, thanks for that info. smile.gif

QUOTE(YetAnotherPianist @ Dec 9 2006, 11:33 AM) View Post

So, given June is out now, around what time would it be best to place a Scottish concert? July and August are out if we're arranging it. We have a venue in mind but could do to give them a rough idea of dates to find out when it's available and what price they'd be looking at.

Nothing booked for October-December yet. Weather may be an issue in December though. Possibly around the October half-term holiday?

#13 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:42

I'd think October would be a good slot for the Scottish concert - when is the half term?

Not too early to encroach on Woodford, though.

#14 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41707 posts
  • South East London

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:45

QUOTE(katyjay @ Dec 9 2006, 11:42 AM) View Post

I'd think October would be a good slot for the Scottish concert - when is the half term?

Not too early to encroach on Woodford, though.

End of October katyjay. Most schools appear to be taking Saturday 20th-Sunday 28th October.

#15 YetAnotherPianist

YetAnotherPianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6693 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:06

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 9 2006, 11:45 AM) View Post

Most schools appear to be taking Saturday 20th-Sunday 28th October.

Not in Scotland, October half-term is a week earlier.