#1 bobplayskeyboards

bobplayskeyboards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Member: 18116
  • Nottingham

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:05

I've just managed to find my way into this student message board and thought I'd say Hiya to everybody . My names Bob and I'm a 53 year very old mature piano student living in Nottingham. I'm currently studying for grade 6 practical piano which i'm finding a huge leap forward from grade 5 but am stuck in the doldrums known as studying for grade 5 theory . I think that abrsm are wrong to put the theory gate requirement in place before allowing students to progress to grade 6 practical - but if thats the sytem i'll just grin and bear it !

If there's any events happening in the Nottingham area i'd be more than happy to support them !

If anybodies got any advice to give me about using this site or any other musical matters - i'd love to hear from you

Bob

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22874 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:57

Welcome tp the forum.
Do have a look around. I suggest a visit to the adult learners section of the forum.
Lots of more mature music students on there for you to talk to.

You may have already noticed the Froum events calendar for 2008 at the top of this board. Maybe you can get to one of those events? Details usually go up 2-3 months ahead of the date.

Good luck with your theory, though I don't agree with you on that. It's quite possible that when you start looking at the theory you will find that you do actually know quite a lot already through learning to play. Theory up to grade 5 is largely practical 'everyday' theory. If you've not done any formal theory before then starting with the grade 1 workbokk will be a good idea as this way you make sure that you don't have any little gaps in your knowledge.

If you really don't want to take the theory exams there are other options..... grade 5 practical musicianship or grade 5 in a jazz subject are also acceptable (syllabus can be found from the ABRSM home page). Or you might want to do higher level exams with one of the exaiming borads that doesn't ask for the theory pass.

There is a Theory board on the forum too.