Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3482 posts
  • Member: 149
  • Hampshire, England

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:42

I'm quite chuffed. biggrin.gif A photo of me where I look 'normal' blink.gif

It's just that in most photos I end up in, I always seem to end up with a cheesey grin on my face and it looks dreadful ph34r.gif

#272 StuMac

StuMac

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts
  • Member: 913
  • Dundee, Scotland

Posted 06 February 2008 - 13:30

Seems ages ago now! It really was an excellent day, well done KatyJay and Amandal for organising everything - Carol's epic accompanying was quite something. The meal was really good too - nice way to 'round off the event.

I got bck home but only just.....engineering works on the tube really slowed journey to London city and I arrived at 10 past 4 for a flight that departed at 25 to 5!

#273 Guest: carol*piano_*

Guest: carol*piano_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 07 February 2008 - 21:32

QUOTE(StuMac @ Feb 6 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post

Carol's epic accompanying was quite something.

Why thank you kind sir rolleyes.gif wink.gif

#274 John Willett

John Willett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Member: 9282
  • Oxfordshire, UK

Posted 08 February 2008 - 16:43

It certainly looks like you had a great day.

I did offer to come along with some microphones and record the event - but got no reply to my PM, so assumed it was not wanted. sad.gif

#275 Guest: carol*piano_*

Guest: carol*piano_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 20:39

QUOTE(John Willett @ Feb 8 2008, 04:43 PM) View Post

I did offer to come along with some microphones and record the event - but got no reply to my PM, so assumed it was not wanted. sad.gif

Maybe your PM didn't get through in time - I would have thought people would have been up for that unsure.gif

#276 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22872 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:14

QUOTE(carol*piano @ Feb 10 2008, 08:39 PM) View Post

QUOTE(John Willett @ Feb 8 2008, 04:43 PM) View Post

Maybe your PM didn't get through in time - I would have thought people would have been up for that unsure.gif

I don't think that recording is a good idea for the Adult Learners concerts as the general idea behind them is to allow very nervous performers a 'safe' environment to play in. For many just getting up and playing to what has always been a very supportive audience is quite enough to cope with. For this reason recording the concert is not really a good idea.
On adult learner said that one strength of these events is that there isn't too much pressure to be perfect; it's about having a go, enjoying sharing what you can do with others and supporting them in return.

#277 John Willett

John Willett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Member: 9282
  • Oxfordshire, UK

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:35

QUOTE(sbhoa @ Feb 11 2008, 11:14 AM) View Post

I don't think that recording is a good idea for the Adult Learners concerts as the general idea behind them is to allow very nervous performers a 'safe' environment to play in. For many just getting up and playing to what has always been a very supportive audience is quite enough to cope with. For this reason recording the concert is not really a good idea.
On adult learner said that one strength of these events is that there isn't too much pressure to be perfect; it's about having a go, enjoying sharing what you can do with others and supporting them in return.

I have now had some feedback via PM and this seems to be the reason.

I just thought it might be fun and an opportunity for those performing to hear what they really sound like - it would have been not for general distribution, just for the performers (unless they wanted otherwise).

Actually I normally charge about £400 a day for recording - but offering to do a freebie like this gives me a chance to experiment with new microphones and techniques that I can't do when I have a paying customer.

Ahhh well - maybe another time.

#278 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:57

QUOTE(John Willett @ Feb 11 2008, 11:35 AM) View Post

QUOTE(sbhoa @ Feb 11 2008, 11:14 AM) View Post

I just thought it might be fun and an opportunity for those performing to hear what they really sound like - it would have been not for general distribution, just for the performers (unless they wanted otherwise).

Actually I normally charge about £400 a day for recording - but offering to do a freebie like this gives me a chance to experiment with new microphones and techniques that I can't do when I have a paying customer.

Ahhh well - maybe another time.

sbhoa, what you said is pretty much what I said in my PM to John. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but regretfully I believe it would only create pressure for the performers. Thanks for the offer though John.

#279 SaxFan

SaxFan

Virtuoso

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5684 posts
  • Member: 4322
  • Norfolk, England

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:06

QUOTE(John Willett @ Feb 11 2008, 11:35 AM) View Post

may we know who the PM was from? Who did you PM with your offer ?
please

#280 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:12

It was I who received a PM from John. And unfortunately, in the welter of messages I dealt with in setting up Teddington, my responding to John's message got overlooked.

I have apologised for this and explained the position that I took on the matter of recording after consulting a number of other forums members. I think this matter is now closed.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, before during and after the event